Tile paint & work top adhesive?

Options
Our kitchen is quite dated and we're not really in a position to get it renewed at the moment. I don't like doing things in bits & bats so when it gets done, the whole thing will be done at the same time - which obviously is a single hit in terms of money.

So until then we were wondering about tile paint and worktop adhesive to change the look.

I'm just not sold on the ideas. If they work & work well then we'll have a go but i'd like to hear some feedback.

How does the tile paint hold up (not literally how does it stay up but how good - hardwearing is it)? How easy is it to apply? How is it for covering different coloured tiles? What would the prep work be?

As for work top adhesive, i mean that sheet coating contact type stuff. Peel off the backing and then apply. Maybe use a hair dryer or heat gun to help moulding.

Is it any good? Obviously i don't expect it to hold up well to a knife on it chopping up the food - so then you just use a chopping board. Do you silicone the edges after application? Just an idea about it really as i absolutely hate the finish on our worktop.

Oh and in case the knife didn't tip you off just then - we're talking about a kitchen. :)

Comments

• AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sticky back plastic, how very 1970s Blue Peter.

It was !!!! then and will look !!!! now.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What surface do you want to paint with tile paint, walls or floor?

I've used it in my bathroom, I have small square tiles in between large white octagons, they were blue but I painted them black. The paint has lasted very well, it's been down for 3 years and has only had the occasional touch-up where some has chipped. It's stayed nice and shiny and you wouldn't even know it was painted unless you got down on your hands and knees to look.

Painting over a whole tiled wall is a different matter entirely, that can look crap.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why spend money now if you're planning to replace it all anyway in due course?
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • LongTimeLurker18
    Options
    I recently had the same problem and decided on some tile stickers, they can be bought from ebay or amazon very cheaply and are easy to apply (admittedly easier the more you practise and do!!!).

They come as a whole tile size which you basically stick (dry or with water) over the existing tiles.
    They completely transformed my kitchen and I'm certainly not in a rush to replace them :-)
    There are thousands of styles and some amazon reviews have pictures attached so you can see them in action.

Hope this helps!
  • JustAnotherSaver
    JustAnotherSaver Posts: 6,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Why spend money now if you're planning to replace it all anyway in due course?
    Because the full overhaul will be a good number of years away so in the meantime if we can have the kitchen looking halfway nice for not a lot of outlay then it'll do the job.

The tiles are kitchen wall tiles. Small squares. No wall is full of tiles, just sections above worktops and below cupboards, above the cooker etc. I can get a picture if it helps but it's just sections here & there.

Regards the worktop covering - isn't that what worktops are anyway? I'm not talking about the fancy and expensive real granite ones or proper wooden ones. I'm talking about the ones that i would hazard a guess that most people have (yes i could be wrong but that's why i'm saying - a guess) and that's the wooden one with a certain coating on it. Are they typically made from MDF or something? Whatever they are, if they come with a coating then what difference is another coating put on top of it, providing you don't get any creases etc?
  • Ruski
    Ruski Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    Options
    Jas - why not compromise and retile with a 'better' choice of tile - far better results than sticking plasters over them or painting?

Applying vinyl over a 'solid' surface is a disaster waiting to happen. Your existing 'laminate' has a 'hard plastic' surface and will stand up to the occasional knife and especially heat from a pan - vinyl will not.

Please do not do this.

HTH

Russ
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day :D
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have painted a tiled bathroom and it worked well, using a much lighter colour to cover up a dark colour. Use a small roller to apply the paint.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi Just Another Saver. Remember me, we've talked In the past.

I have done what you are suggesting, as has my son. He has just transformed his kitchen, painting units, worktops, tiles etc.

If you want a cheap transformation that will look good and last for a few years until you can afford your dream kitchen then paint is your best friend. Walls, tiles, cupboards, worktops, manky old Lino floors, even old appliances can all be painted. Just make sure you use the right paint for the right surface.

Also, Just remember that kitchens are usually greasy so preparation will be everything otherwise paint will not adhere. So you will need lots of serious cleaning with sugar soap first to degrease surfaces.

The sticky back plastic is another matter. It can work but it is a devil to apply, prone to wrinkling and air bubbles. It also doesn't wear very well, it can tear and get cut easily and as others have mentioned it is not heat resistant. It will get shabby within weeks. I have tried it but it wasn't very successful.

Another option might be to paint the counter tops and then seal with good quality varnish. If you are a bit arty then it is possible to get a very nice faux marble or granite type finish, it just takes a bit of time and patience. I once did a very nice faux granite finish, very simple. Google for ideas. And if you are really up for it you can get some amazing effects with epoxy resins. Have a look on Pinterest for ideas.
    I've not tried them yet myself but I'm definitely going to have a go.

Try and borrow or buy a cheap book on paint effects. Jocasta Innes is the Paint effect goddess but there are plenty of others. You can buy great decorating books on Amazon £0.01p. I have just bought a few last week.

I am moving soon and I will be inheriting a lovely solid pine handbuilt kitchen. Unfortunately it is looking a bit tired and it does makes the room look dark. It would be a sacrilege to rip it out so I'm going to paint it. Now i appreciate there will some people who will think it's a sacrilege to paint over wood but it really does make the kitchen look dark and oppressive so I think a paint job is in order.

Give it a whirl.....just take your time, make sure you prep well and follow the makers instructions.

Btw don't be tempted to buy cheap paint, it's a false economy.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    JustAnotherSaver Posts: 6,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sorry lessonlearned - i don't remember. Thanks for the response though.

I think coating the worktops sounds like it's a non-starter then. My wife has recently done some cupboards & drawers in the spare bedroom and the finished article looks very good i must say. It looks just like they were painted. She took her time and googled how to tackle the trickier parts and it worked out well.

But then that's cupboard doors and drawers, not a kitchen.

Ruski wrote: »
    Jas - why not compromise and retile with a 'better' choice of tile - far better results than sticking plasters over them or painting?
    Quite simply because i am awful at DIY with the exception of painting. So any tiling & we'd have to get someone out to do it.

Now i know i know .... 'just have a go'. I've been getting told to 'just have a go' and 'how hard can it be' for years. This means that the catalogue of howlers is a very thick one yet people still tell me to 'have a go'.

There comes a point when you just accept that you can't do it yourself :)

Painting is just about the only thing i'll tackle. Even managed to get compliments on the finish from tradesmen we've had in the house. If only i could manage other areas of DIY :)
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 1 June 2018 at 11:56PM
    Options
    Don't worry.....if all you can do is paint, then just paint. And painting a kitchen is no different from cupboards in a bedroom.

As I said in my last post, you can paint any surface, wood, tiles, ceramics, melamine, metal, plastics, glass, concrete. You just need to ensure you use the right paint for the job. You can make plastic plant pots look like expensive stone urns, you can make melamine worksurfaces look like marble or granite.

Just experiment and have a go.

The beauty of paint is that if you get it wrong or you don't like the finished result you just paint over it......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure