PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Leaving chicken out all day to defrost?

Options
I took some chicken breasts out of the freezer this morning and have left them on the counter to defrost over the course of the day. I'll be eating them tonight.
Is this a safe way to defrost? My mum always did it.

Comments

• sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,898 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I took some chicken breasts out of the freezer this morning and have left them on the counter to defrost over the course of the day. I'll be eating them tonight.
    Is this a safe way to defrost? My mum always did it.

Thats how I have always done it and I am still here.

Chicken will smell off if its off.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • mylastpound
    mylastpound Posts: 119 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thats how i do mine as i dont trust the defrost option on the microwave lol

However, i dont leave them out in direct sunlight I.G) window ledge
    3-6 Emergency Fund, No96: £1,000 / £2,000 - House Deposit: £11,000 / £11,000 - Holiday Fund: £100 / £1,300 -
    June 2018 Grocery Challenge £61.59 / £250
  • paulbrighton2018
    Options
    i'd say bin it!

Left to thaw to room temperature - breeding ground for bacteria, god knows what else!
    formerly known as skintpaul. I sometimes lurk / post local (Brighton) stuff, on the Competitions forum page.
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,898 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 May 2018 at 4:06PM
    Options
    i'd say bin it!

Left to thaw to room temperature - breeding ground for bacteria, god knows what else!

Thats just wasting good food,
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    It will take forever to thaw out if you put it in fridge .

We thaw ours out in the microwave (switched off) otherwise the cats pinch it.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Marmaduke123
    Marmaduke123 Posts: 813 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I take things out of the freezer the night before, and leave them out overnight. I then put them in the fridge during the day before cooking them in the evening. That works for me.

If it was very hot I think I would be concerned about leaving chicken out all day. I don't like to defrost in the microwave as it never seems to give an even result, some bits begin to cook while other thicker parts are still semi frozen.

On the odd occasion I forget to get something out of the freezer I find it really speeds up defrosting if you put the wrapped items on a metal surface like a drainng board
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    i'd say bin it!

Or you could just cook it and kill any bacteria that had bred.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I take things out of the freezer the night before, and leave them out overnight. I then put them in the fridge during the day before cooking them in the evening. That works for me.

If it was very hot I think I would be concerned about leaving chicken out all day. I don't like to defrost in the microwave as it never seems to give an even result, some bits begin to cook while other thicker parts are still semi frozen.

On the odd occasion I forget to get something out of the freezer I find it really speeds up defrosting if you put the wrapped items on a metal surface like a drainng board

I dont get the overnight practice. I know plenty of people do it but it doesnt make sense to me.

So lets say you take it out at 8pm after your tea. Youre putting it back in your fridge at 7am thus 11 hours of exposure. It goes back in the fridge, which doesnt kill bacteria and for things like listeria actually thrive in a fridge which youre then putting around food that wont be cooked.

Where as i take my chicken out at 8am as im leaving the house. And start cooking it straight from the plate its been sat on the side on when i get in from work at 6pm so only 10 hours and not risking spreading anything at all. The exposure time is certainly less, i get there will be a few degrees difference in house temperature between night and day but most houses are heated so that itd barely make a difference.
  • Sponge_Cake
    Sponge_Cake Posts: 119 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    We're going to cook it throughly so hopefully it'll be okay.

My mum always left the chicken out on the top, it never made us unwell.

I'm hoping I've done the right thing.
  • redfox
    redfox Posts: 15,338 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    we move threads if we think they will get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure