Travel during school holidays

Options
Okay, so I'm wondering if we'll be able to go abroad next year with our kids (4&5). As we will have to go in school holiday time I thought I'd have a quick look online at prices...tried Lanzarote and Kefalonia and was horrified that prices start at around £3500!!! Just wanted to ask those who have already encountered the issue of school holiday travel whether this is an accurate price. Thanks.

Comments

• Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Yes, prices go up by a ridiculous amount during the school holidays. If you work out the maths, you might decide it's cheaper to remove your children from school and pay the fine (£60 per child per parent) - especially as your children are so young. As the parent, I will leave you to decide for yourself whether you want to absent your children from school or not, as you will read arguments for and against on MSE.

Are they 4&5 now i.e. 5&6 when you plan to holiday? If so the fine will be on both (£240 total). If they are only 4&5 when you go, you will only be fined for the 5yo as the 4yo won't have reached mandatory school age.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Easy solution, don't go on package holidays to package holiday destinations.

We travelled DIY all over Europe and America when our three were at school, we never ever paid the ridiculous amounts tour operators charged and got to see some wonderful places not full of tourists.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options

We travelled DIY all over Europe and America when our three were at school, we never ever paid the ridiculous amounts tour operators charged and got to see some wonderful places not full of tourists.

Did you walk?

Because flight prices shoot up too
  • first78
    first78 Posts: 1,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, prices go up by a ridiculous amount during the school holidays. If you work out the maths, you might decide it's cheaper to remove your children from school and pay the fine (£60 per child per parent) - especially as your children are so young. As the parent, I will leave you to decide for yourself whether you want to absent your children from school or not, as you will read arguments for and against on MSE.

Are they 4&5 now i.e. 5&6 when you plan to holiday? If so the fine will be on both (£240 total). If they are only 4&5 when you go, you will only be fined for the 5yo as the 4yo won't have reached mandatory school age.

They will be 4&5 next year. I wouldn't rule out taking them during term time, although I think the idea of having to pay a fine is ridiculous! I am just gobsmacked at how expensive holidays are!
  • first78
    first78 Posts: 1,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Well if we want to go somewhere near the sea I think sadly we are going to have to pay hugely inflated prices. Flights go up, accommodation goes up, I'm not sure how we can avoid that.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We camped in France when our kids were small; in fact up until DD's A-level year.

A night travelling to Weymouth or Dover, then tootle along. We never exhausted ourselves with distance, but had an overnight stop sometimes, two in Paris, before settling in our main site for two weeks.

Great holidays, great friends and they both learned French easily.

If you only have two weeks, I!!!8217;d suggest south Brittany. Lovely beaches.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »
    We camped in France when our kids were small; in fact up until DD's A-level year.

A night travelling to Weymouth or Dover, then tootle along. We never exhausted ourselves with distance, but had an overnight stop sometimes, two in Paris, before settling in our main site for two weeks.

Great holidays, great friends and they both learned French easily.

If you only have two weeks, I!!!8217;d suggest south Brittany. Lovely beaches.

Paris in August is great, almost empty of Parisians who are all away on holiday themselves.
  • cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Options
    Did you walk?

If you go to the right destination you will pay a summer price but not a hyper inflated school holiday price.
  • peachyprice
    Options
    Did you walk?

No they don't if you avoid package holiday destinations.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • peachyprice
    Options
    first78 wrote: »
    Well if we want to go somewhere near the sea I think sadly we are going to have to pay hugely inflated prices. Flights go up, accommodation goes up, I'm not sure how we can avoid that.

There are plenty of places in Europe near the sea that aren't package holiday destinations, you just have to think and look outside the box.

Trust me, 20 years of holidaying with children, not a single package holiday taken.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure