Charged for pre-existing damage in hotel room (US holiday)

Options
Hi all

My boyfriend and I stayed in a hotel for a one night stopover as part of a 2 week road trip around America. The hotel was a bit tired looking and the back of the bathroom door had a hole in it (like it had been punched in) but other than that was fine. We didn’t think to complain or asked to be moved rooms because we were there for such a short amount of time and it did the job for a brief stop. The hotel have now charged us $400 for the damage to the door. In email correspondence with them it turns out they had tried to take $600 but weren’t able to due to limits on the card.

We had contested this directly with the hotel, who maintain that we damaged the door. Their response was “we tried to charge you $600 so at least you only have to pay $400”, which didn’t feel overly professional. We have also taken it up with our card provider and Expedia, who we booked with. Beyond that, is there anything we can do? I have seen similar discussions and am aware that taking this to a small claims court might be necessary - can this be done when we’re based in the UK and the hotel is in America?

It feels silly to mention this but my boyfriend and I are a young, professional couple (both doctors) who were on a trip for our anniversary - we have never damaged a hotel room and definitely haven’t punched a hole in a door! It’s really frustrating as this seems like a case where it will just be our word against the hotel’s.

If anyone has any advice that would be great!

Thanks in advance

Naomi

Comments

• photome
    photome Posts: 16,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    It’s your word against theirs. Could have been avoided if you had reported it straight away.

No idea what you do now, possibly put it down to experience
  • stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    Options
    I think you have done everything possible. Your best bet will be your cc company disputing with the hotel. Have they got back to you yet?
    Hope you get a favorable outcome.
  • Nai859
    Nai859 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Yeah we’ve definitely learned our lesson with that. The rundown nature of the hotel just led us to think that the hole had probably been reported and not fixed yet. Silly really but we were just tired and didn’t think about it. At least a life lesson has been learned!
  • Nai859
    Nai859 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    The card company have agreed to look into it so hopefully something good will come!
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    photome wrote: »
    It’s your word against theirs. Could have been avoided if you had reported it straight away.

I've stayed in plenty of run down motels in America with damage & things missing. It never occurred to me to "report it", that's the way they are. I've never had one try this stunt.
    OP, I hope your card company sorts it out for you.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • stevie11
    Options
    EssexExile wrote: »
    I've stayed in plenty of run down motels in America with damage & things missing. It never occurred to me to "report it", that's the way they are. I've never had one try this stunt.
    OP, I hope your card company sorts it out for you.

Same here. Sounds like the cc company should sort this out. If the hotel are pulling a fast one they won't want to take on a big cc co. Unfortunately they will probably try it on with an other customer.
  • iltisman
    iltisman Posts: 2,589 Forumite
    Options
    Was it a chain Motel or just an independent operation?
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Just asking.

Why should the CC card company sort it if they damaged the door as the hotel alleged( I believe they didnt). If the CC card company ask the hotel and they say the OP damaged it, what happens then

I am guessing the hotel would have to poivide an itemised invoice to the CC company if asked?

OP would have left a credit card details for damage and charges to room
  • stevie11
    Options
    photome wrote: »
    Just asking.

Why should the CC card company sort it if they damaged the door as the hotel alleged( I believe they didnt). If the CC card company ask the hotel and they say the OP damaged it, what happens then

I am guessing the hotel would have to poivide an itemised invoice to the CC company if asked?

OP would have left a credit card details for damage and charges to room

Like you I am taking the OPs word that they didn't cause the damage. Imo the cc co are in the best position to deal with this as the hotel have taken funds for something the OP stated they were not liable for.

I think it will be a case of the hotels word against the customer but the cc co will have departments that will be experienced in this sort of thing. I agree that the hotel would have to provide evidence of the cost of repairs.

That is the way I would be dealing with the issue if a hotel were trying it on with me.
  • jackomdj
    jackomdj Posts: 3,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Post on trip advisor detailing hotel, room etc. Someone else may have had similar, or you may save someone from having it happen.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure