PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Querying estate agents fees

Options

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    rosamundie wrote: »
    Wow. So many estate agents on this thread!
    What do you expect? It's a house buying, renting and selling forum. We're all estate agents running the site to protect the interests of our profession.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    david1951 wrote: »
    No, just a few people that understand contract law.

You clearly don!!!8217;t.

She/he posted on another thread regarding TV licensing and replied to someone else "you're patently not a lawyer" and shouldn't be giving advice. Peculiar way of thinking on an open forum.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't need to see their family tree.
    Agents are paid handsomely for doing due diligence in showing people around people's homes and it is only fair that there is some expectation that these people are serious about making a purchase.
    If a buyer is in rented accomodation it shows that they have sold their house and can proceed quickly.
    You are either very unsavvy or are an under employed estate agent. I suspect the latter.

Really? They might be subject to a tenancy whereby they are tied in for many, many months so unable to proceed quickly.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,095 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Wow. So many estate agents on this thread!

I think Estate Agents are almost all oleaginous, mini driving, shiny suit wearing, qualificationless, money hungry shysters of the first degree. They lie to your face and most can't even take a decent picture or string a coherent sentence together. I've made my feelings plain on this forum for years based on my personal experience. In fact for any job ending in "Agent" I could say the same thing.

However you owe this agent the agreed fee based on simple contract law.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If a buyer is in rented accomodation it shows that they have sold their house and can proceed quickly.

Or it shows that they had issues paying their last mortgage and had to move out, or worse, it was repossessed, and in either case may struggle to afford your house.
    And they may not have the required deposit, or may have lots of gambling showing on their bank accounts, or for whatever reasons be unable to get a mortgage.

It says nothing whatsoever about their ability to get a mortgage, move quickly, or indeed, anything such as how much they will mess you about due to not being tied into a chain and wanting to jeopardize it.

Whilst a person who owns their own house may have the ability to buy yours as a cash buyer (as i did a few years ago*)
    You are either very unsavvy or are an under employed estate agent. I suspect the latter.

You either have not thought through the possibilities arising from a buyer being in rented, and have jumped to erroneous conclusions or .... no I"ll leave it at that.

* not your house, obviously, a different one :D
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 May 2018 at 11:29AM
    Options
    And we worry about trolls,

Unusual that the OP resurfaced last night with a clear rant against estate agents,maybe they like us have given her the answer she does not want to listen to.

And just for the record when I have ever booked an appointment to view a property with an estate agent there one and only question is usually,
    "what time shall we meet you there?"
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    And just for the record when I have ever booked an appointment to view a property with an estate agent there one and only question is usually,
    "what time shall we meet you there?"
    I have booked viewings today with four agents and none of them showed any interest in my occupation.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    davidmcn wrote: »
    I have booked viewings today with four agents and none of them showed any interest in my occupation.

Then clearly they are not doing their job properly then! Rosamundie will need to have words with the EA's to bring them into line :rotfl:
  • Igol
    Igol Posts: 434 Forumite
    Options
    OP breach of contract end of story.

The more interesting question of what EAs actually do for their money is a separate one.

I'm in the process of buying a property to do up and flip. As a buyer I found it on right move (EA obviously listed there now that they've got that aspect of the market sewn up).

EA let me in and let me had a look round.

EA passed my offer on to seller and passed back their rejection.

2 months on seller is willing to accept my offer and EA contacts me.
    Viewing, revised offer on my part, rejection and 2nd offer passed and accepted then EA confirmed I had the funds.

Then all over to solicitors and surveyor.

Now in theory I was on various EA books as a buyer but no one contacted me about other opportunities.

When it comes to selling I cant see anything other than the access to the main websites for advertising that they offer that I couldn't do myself. Guess how I'm planning on selling the house.
  • mikec100
    Options
    I would say forget about the whole journey of how you actually found the buyer, for yourself it was actually very quick so If I were in your shoes I would try to forget about who did what work etc and accept the high fees are what everyone has to pay. I think most people who sell a house of your value would think that the estate agents fee is unjustified. One thing everyone can agree on in this forum is that estate agents get Money for nothing and its the house that sells itself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure