PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Querying estate agents fees

Options

Comments

• Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    rosamundie wrote: »
    I see nothing wrong with querying the price I am paying for a somewhat inferior service.

The time to worry about the price is before you sign the contract and accept the terms.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 18 May 2018 at 3:33PM
    Options
    Regularly posted on MSE;-

"I shouldn't have to pay all my EA fees because I sold my house to the first person who saw it and the EA didn't have to do much"

v

"I shouldn't have to pay all my EA fees because it took ages for my EA to find me a buyer and there were loads of fruitless viewings."

No win situation, really.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 18 May 2018 at 3:32PM
    Options
    • You asked an agent to find a buyer for your property, and you would give them 1.5%.
    • Said agent found buyer.
    • Buyer purchased property.
    • Now you don't want to pay?

What work the agent did or didn't do is neither here nor there. You engaged their services to introduce a buyer, which they did. Contract fulfilled.

If you thought 1.5% was unreasonable then the time to change it was BEFORE you agreed to the contract. Then you could have asked them to put a clause in that said they would only get paid if they took 20 pictures of the property, printed 100 brochures, take 50 phone calls, show 10 people around the property (can you now see how ridiculous that sounds!)

If anything, you should be offering them more than 1.5%, as they got a buyer without the need for all that extra time and expense. :rotfl:

To be honest, with all your questions about job and family, you sound like a nightmare seller! What business is it of yours about a buyers family?
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Would your paths have crossed with this buyer if it were not for the fact that Hamptons introduced you?

Whether or not they subsequently tracked you down by social media is irrelevant without Hamptons they would not have known you had the property for sale that they wished to purchase.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I really believe that an agent's job is to do basic due diligence before showing a prospective buyer a property - that is, find out if they are a cash buyer or need to get a mortgage, if they are in rented and some very basic idea of their circumstances to save people's time being wasted. This really only requires a basic conversation.

Of course it doesn't. Unless they take it on face value, in which case its worthless and they might as well not bother

Why would the fact they are in rented accommodation be relevant? What do you think covers "their circumstances"?

How would "a simple conversation" validate all that you want to know? How many steps back in their family tree do you go to determine if they are worthy of buying?
  • rosamundie
    rosamundie Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Of course it is important that estate agents find out some information about someone who applies to visit your house with a view to buying it. That's their job - otherwise, why not just stick a `for sale' ad in the local paper and leave your door open for anyone who might like a view.
    This is why people use a high street agent rather than an online one.
    Are you people for real?!
  • rosamundie
    Options
    I don't need to see their family tree.
    Agents are paid handsomely for doing due diligence in showing people around people's homes and it is only fair that there is some expectation that these people are serious about making a purchase.
    If a buyer is in rented accomodation it shows that they have sold their house and can proceed quickly.
    You are either very unsavvy or are an under employed estate agent. I suspect the latter.
  • rosamundie
    Options
    Wow. So many estate agents on this thread!
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Don't you love it when a newbie comes on and starts showing off or trying to get a reaction lol :laugh:

For the record, I'm not an EA and I don't think many on here are.

Moved 8 times and have never been asked what my job is and would be surprised if an EA did ask!
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • david1951
    david1951 Posts: 431 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Wow. So many estate agents on this thread!

No, just a few people that understand contract law.

You clearly don’t.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport