PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Are solicitors always so slow?!

Options
2»

Comments

• Kyresa
    Kyresa Posts: 1,534 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    Some or all of these may apply:
    • It always takes longer than you think it should
    • They may be waiting on responses from other people/3rd parties
    • They generally contact you when they need to, not to simply pass the time of day, or phone you to say they've got nothing to tell you about
    • You're not their only client
    • Other clients are closer to exchange than you are

Amen to this. You'd be amazed at people who think it should just happen and have no idea of the process behind gathering all the information! I doubt his(her) solicitors have even received a contract pack yet!
  • Alleygator
    Alleygator Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    As we!!!8217;re FTB I literally have no clue how the whole process works at all, she!!!8217;s said we need to exchange contracts within 28 days and then complete when we can move in.

I get the solicitor is busy and has other clients but I thought I!!!8217;d at least get an acknowledgment after I sent the initial email out of courtesy to say !!!8220;thanks, got your info and I!!!8217;ll be in touch when I!!!8217;ve got anything!!!8221;.

Like I said, we!!!8217;re FTB and we!!!8217;ve never rented, our parents have lived in their respective houses for 30 odd years so they can!!!8217;t really give us specifics on what happens when buying a house either. I!!!8217;m just excited and apprehensive all in one at being able to get onto the property ladder at all.
  • RedFraggle
    RedFraggle Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
  • thelem
    thelem Posts: 774 Forumite
    Options
    Have you committed to using this solicitor in any way, e.g. paid a deposit, or signed a contract? If not, I'd ditch them and find your own solicitor.

Do you have a full breakdown of their charges and have you compared the quote to other solicitors? Having the builder pay half the fee doesn't save you anything if the fee is three times what other people are charging. The estate agent will probably be getting a referral fee from the conveyancer, and this fee will be added to your bill. The referral fee can be more than the fee that the conveyancer actually earns!

It's also not a good idea to have a conveyancer who is connected with your builder. One of the important aspects of the conveyancing process is checking for any reasons that you shouldn't buy a property, or that will affect the value of the property. A conveyancer who is connected with the builder (or operates on a no sale-no fee basis) has an incentive for the sale to complete, so they may be less keen to bring problems to your attention, or may play down things that they do bring to your attention.

If you want good service, use a local conveyancer.
    If you want the cheapest price, use an online conveyancer, but expect things to take longer.
    Note: Unless otherwise stated, my property related posts refer to England & Wales. Please make sure you state if you are discussing Scotland or elsewhere as laws differ.
  • SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    edited 18 May 2018 at 1:51PM
    Options
    No they arent always slow. We accepted an offer on our house 3 weeks ago. Draft contract pack was sent out the day after. Valuation and buyers mortgage aprroved week 2, this week we have received enquires from the buyers solicitor and these have been responded to. All seems to be happening very fast.
    Im starting to think maybe I should start packing??

Unlike last time, the solicitor then was a nightmare...
  • Richard_Webster
    Richard_Webster Posts: 7,646 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If it has only been going a week it is quite likely that they haven't received anything from the seller's solicitors so there is nothing to tell you yet. OK they could tell you that.
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure