Rejoined gym, give me some tips.

Options

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Just to point out that the OP started the thread back in May and hasn't been back for months, despite a request for an update (post #47).
  • Sibz
    Sibz Posts: 389 Forumite
    Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dekaspace wrote: »
    As in I know people aren't trainers on here but more a few starter tips.

I went to mine today and felt overwhelmed as I was just shown round and not how to use machines, im obese and like the treadmill and exercise bike but want to use weights and cardio.

I did go to a gym last year but only went a few times as it was small and uncomfortable and many of the people there were Eastern European even the staff so if I asked for help I got a blank stare, and it was quite a small gym even though it was open 24 hours)

However a good thing there was there was paper towels and spray for every machine to get rid of sweat, current one doesn't have this facility so im thinking bring a small spray of something but what (maybe watered down vinegar or is that too horrible smelling) and a cloth as being obese I can sweat heavily.

Just after some newbie advice really.

If its a budget gym don't expect any help from staff unless you're willing to pay extra for personal training.

If its a small independent gym - then tell the staff that you need help (don't be embarrassed to ask them - if they're good and care about their job/industry they'll be happy you asked) - if they are unhelpful or uninterested - take your business elsewhere.

Consider paying a bit more for a local authority gym if you have one near you. Staff at local authority gyms tend to be paid more (and therefore be happier at their work) and most provide free programs as part of that membership - you just sometimes have to ask.
    These staff are the best people to talk to - usually better than class instructors (for qualified advice).

Be careful about asking for advice online or just following fitness videos, especially if you have any injuries or health issues. Don't just look for someone telling you what you want to hear, find someone properly qualified - and persevere, if you are 'obese' as you stated, then your weight can be used as a tool to help you get rid of it safely and without wrecking your joints in repeated HIIT workouts.
  • Sibz
    Options
    andygb wrote: »
    First of all, it sounds as though the OP has got into a cycle of going to the gym - good!
    However, the current diet is pretty bad, so eating a meal (not too large) in the morning has to be a must. Fruit, nuts and cereals, wholemeal toast, poached eggs etc.
    As the OP has told us that they are obese, then running wouldn't be my advised option for cardio, it would be long (5 miles or more) brisk walks, or cross trainer/bike/rower in the gym.
    I wouldn't suggest any type of HIIT at this stage because we don't know the OP's state of health.
    I would also suggest staying away from heavy weights, and suggest that the OP trains for endurance by doing 3 sets of 15 to 20 repetitions of lighter weights. If the OP does this, then try to alternate muscle groups over the course of a week, and always exercise the big muscle groups (Lats, Pecs, Quads) first in the session after warming up, then the smaller groups (Biceps, Triceps, Calves etc).
    Always do a dynamic warmup prior to the exercise session - abdominal rotations, lunges, star jumps, squates etc, then always do static stretches at the end to offset DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) where lactic acid can cause muscle soreness for up to three days.
    Finally, get someone at the gym to give you a proper induction, where they will take you over all the equipment, show you how to use it correctly and safely, take personal details including those about any possible health issues.
    They should also ask you what you hope to achieve, how much weight you want to lose, how many times a week you want to attend the gym.
    They should also be able to create a program for you based on what they have seen you do during the induction.
    Good luck!

PS - I am a qualified fitness instructor.:)

Finally someone mentioning the OP's health before prescribing exercise etc.

Everyone on here means well, and I hope that shows how most people respond to a new person entering a gym or taking up exercise - because THAT is the norm. Not the old mythical stereotype of people picking on the fat person. More than half of the people that go to gyms are fat to one degree or another - and local council gyms tend to be very social places with friendly atmospheres
  • Sibz
    Options
    I suppose it depends what you mean by often.

Mrs G goes to the gym every day and prefers to lift as heavy as she can. There is no way that you would call her 'muscled up'. Heavy means fewer reps to get the same results and less time working out.

Amen... women SHOULD lift! When done properly and with good technique women stand to benefit from load bearing exercise more than men do. It helps offset the increased risk of osteoporosis in women.

Due to the lower levels of testosterone in women they are not prone to bulk like men can, the more common natural response in females is to lean down.
  • Sibz
    Options
    andygb wrote: »
    I am afraid that this is a totally different weight training system, which refers to training for strength, instead of for endurance or hypotrophy.
    You certainly do not get the same results as training for endurance, because with strength training the aerobic system is hardly being exercised at all.

That's not a reason not to include it in a training program... especially a progressive one.
    Everyone should do strength training for its long term health benefits, improved mobility, metabolism, injury prevention/joint protection to name a few.
  • Sibz
    Options
    NeilCr wrote: »
    I agree with Pollycat and Andygb re induction.

However I wonder how 24/7 gyms handle this. For, example, here it appears that you can "opt out" of the induction

https://247fitness.co/terms-conditions

And I know that there is minimal/no supervision too. They seem to be pushing the liability heavily on to the member so they can save on staff costs.

ETA.

This is the one that has opened locally to me. Induction recommended and mandatory for under 18s and wheelchair users

https://www.thegymgroup.com/legal/the-gym-membership-rules/

It's becoming far more common that PARQ's are not used... As soon as you leave a gym after completing a PARQ that PARQ is out of date... anything can change regarding your health between then and any subsequent gym visit. It has been argued (rightly or wrongly) that filling in PARQs and filing them in a gym desk led to complacency in focusing on gym users health as it was then seen as 'done' - for that system to be competent a new PARQ would have to be completed by each user regularly and also be readily available to any member of staff at any time that user was present in the gym.

The current practice is that a PARQ is posted on a board for the customer to be aware to notify staff of any issues. It is also now common practice to carry out verbal PARQ screening with any appointment/consultation with customers.

Inductions can be waived, many people do not want them, and budget gyms simply use them as potential sales opportunities for Personal Trainers that they charge rent to be able to sell PT to their customers. Better value gyms use Inductions as an opportunity to build rapport with customers and make them feel welcome/familiar with the staff and facilities. And to encourage further appointments/a program to maintain custom.

Budget gyms may seem like a nice cheap option - but for anyone that requires help or is a beginner in a gym environment they're not the best option IMO. I'd hate to charge a customer PT rates for basic information or help they should get for part of a good gym membership, I'd feel like a crook - that said - budget gyms (and many parts of the fitness industry) create an environment where fitness professionals have to be salesmen to make ends meet
  • Sibz
    Options
    NeilCr wrote: »
    If you haven't had the induction/free PT session then take it asap. You are in danger of injuring yourself if you aren't using the machines properly. They may give you a programme, too.

Hopefully.... but be prepared for a sales pitch.
    a £30-£40 1 hour PT session will get you a months membership in a gym where a program etc is provided with more support.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Maybe the OP isn't going to the gym anymore.
    Still logging on, still posting but not adding to this thread.
  • RyanEzio
    RyanEzio Posts: 100 Forumite
    Options
    45 mins free weights, 20 mins machines....3- 4 times a week.
    Ryan
  • Rosiemurphy
    Options
    I gave up on gyms years ago - was paying but never attending. I conned myself into thinking I would go back so didn't cancel my membership for a year or so after I stopped going. I must have lost lots of money and regret ever joining now. A brisk walk if far better!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure