Rejoined gym, give me some tips.

Options

Comments

• NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As I said you find reasons for not doing things.

In your OP you state that you haven't been shown how to use the machines and you felt overwhelmed. Lots of people on a thread where you asked for advice have said get an induction and a programme. I am not sure that you do know how to safely use the machines.

Book the induction - and go. It doesn't have to be at peak energy time - just find a time when you have no other commitments. If something comes up then you can change the booking - or, even better, as long as it is nothing too important, say you are already have this in the diary.

This is your health we are talking about. So stop pfaffing and make a small effort for one induction of, what, 30 minutes. And yes I realise you have to get there and back too. But, it has to be worth it.
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I don't know how to safely use certain machines but I have been to multiple gyms in past over the years and I used to own a exercise bike till I downsized properties 3 years ago,

I am quite insulted at being told im "pfaffing" you don't know what I planned to let you know I planned to have the induction next week since I have only this week finished college, I would of thought going 2-4 times a week to gym was making an effort, if anything acting like its not will destroy my confidence and stop me going.

Don't forget I am autistic, I like to have a certain stable set time, cancelling things distresses me.
  • NeilCr
    Options
    I am sorry you feel that you have been insulted. It certainly wasn't intended that way but you seemed quite happy to give various reasons for not going to such an important thing. And, it is important.

I know you are autistic and I get the cancelling issue (I have experience of working with and interacting with people with autism).

I am glad you will be going to the induction next week. Do let us know how it goes.
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    NeilCr wrote: »
    I am sorry you feel that you have been insulted. It certainly wasn't intended that way but you seemed quite happy to give various reasons for not going to such an important thing. And, it is important.

I know you are autistic and I get the cancelling issue (I have experience of working with and interacting with people with autism).

I am glad you will be going to the induction next week. Do let us know how it goes.

Thanks well the point was at most I overthink things but I have a logical mindset as per the disability, it came across as focusing on the negative when to me I could of put of joining at all, or waited till after I left college next week to start instead I joined and did things slowly until I can spend more time at gym I also planned it this way so I could spend a short time warming up so to speak so when I have my induction the PT can plan a longer term thing rather than just be told spend time on treadmill and bike.

Also I was worried that if I planned the appointment days after I first started it would panic me too much, so went to treadmills to gain a bit of confidence before I met the PT so I don't feel overwhelmed.

I am meant to be getting a free 2 month at my local leisure centre too from local disability group so will have the choice of two to go to, the local leisuire centre is literally 4 minutes away by bus and 4 minute walk from bus stop, and has a swimming pool it has a bad rep part from it needing updating and being a bit run down but for a freebie its good.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    its been little over a month now.....how you been getting on? managing to keep on top of your bad eating habits? noticed any weight loss?
  • NeilCr
    Options
    How did the induction go?
  • laticiagibson
    Options
    A good diet with proper exercise will help you a lot.
  • heartbreak_star
    Options
    Spam reported.

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • annandale
    annandale Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    Options
    I dont know what xercise for less are like (I used to work at pure gym), but the reason that they do not have spray and paper towels is to keep the costs low. The PTs are supposed to clean the kit if a gym does not have the spray and towels

Also, again, only from my experience at pure, no, they don't make everyone have an induction but that is because some people are seasoned users and do not need one.

If you ask for one they should give you one. Also, again if it is anything like the system at pure, the PTs will do you a gym programme but you may need to pay

My local council gym is 34.99, you must have an induction and gym programmes are free.

Pure is 15.99 and you pay 15 quid for a programme, it is still cheaper over the year to be a member of pure and places like xercise for less than be in a lot of council gyms.

I did loads of inductions when I worked at pure. Its pretty much impossible to say what you should be doing without seeing you and knowing how conditioned or deconditioned you are but I would say even if you do have to pay 15 quid or so, get a gym programme done

Im aware Ive missed posts and not read all the way through, if you have a 2 month freebie at the council gym you should be able to get a gym programme done for nothing.

I would say, make sure you are eating plenty of fruit and veg, keep hydrated and weigh your food. Use my fitness pal and track your steps, your eating cals and your exercise cals

Loads of people underestimate what they are eating and over estimate their exercise cals.
  • annandale
    annandale Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    Options
    Theres minimal or no supervision in the council gym I go to as well. After someone has an induction they are pretty much left to it. The same in pure gym although if I saw someone on a gym floor doing something dangerous (if I were staff), I would say something.

And even in the gym induction you only have time to show certain machines and in peak times you can hardly get on them.

People are far more likely to injure themselves in a group fitness class than being on a bit of gym equipment if they do not know how to work it properly and if someone really does not know how to work the kit then its sensible that they go for an induction. At pure the majority of people I saw for inductions did not know how to work equipment, newbies if you like, the people who did not need an induction were people who had been using gyms for years and knew exactly what they were doing.

You sign a parq online when you join gyms like pure. You cant sign up without signing a parq.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure