PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Vendor / developer has pulled out after exchange

Options
12346»

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    hazyjo wrote: »
    Seriously, looking at those pics - you should have exercised YOUR right to run for the hills even after exchanging.
    And the developers probably realise that - why should they spend more time/money sorting out the problems if the OP can still pull out whenever they want to.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 15 May 2018 at 12:04PM
    Options
    stuco36 wrote: »
    They were recommended by the estate agent, and of course I thought no way...but then a close friend who is in the business said they are a really good solicitor so I went with them. The solicitor didn't verbally say that this could be the case...but it is obviously written in the contract. I am in no doubt I have a fight on my hands as it's written in black and white, but to do this to someone 11 months after they could have backed out is terrible...and all because I complained about how bad their work is on something I am about to spend a lot of money on.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/158160210@N04/sets/72157668853007918

It would have been better, in hindsight, not to listen to even a "close friend". Even people one thinks of as good friends can "have their own agendas" or be naive etc etc.

But - it is what it is and it's down to not making that mistake again - ie of even taking the word of the "closest of friends" if they might have a "conflict of interests" or be naive. That's one lesson to learn for future reference in life unfortunately. Yes - even close friends when told they havent been as "loyal" as one would expect from a friend can/do turn round and say "Well, I had a conflict of interests" ..........

As these developers have obviously, by the sound of it, identified you as a "troublemaker" and had visions of you forming an owners association against them or taking them to building control people (and encouraging others to do so) etc - it does sound (to me) as they didnt want "Trouble" and you need to get the message over to them of = If you thought I'd be Trouble if you didn't cancel on me like that, then just wait and see how much Trouble I can be if you don't change your minds.

Probably best - given the state of the place - to be aiming now for compensation, rather than actually getting the place.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    See it as a blessing in disguise!

They arent going to fix those problems. They are going to botch them and cover them up.

Over a year late, shoddy work... TAKE YOUR MONEY AND RUN!!!!!!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    They were recommended by the estate agent, and of course I thought no way...but then a close friend who is in the business said they are a really good solicitor so I went with them. The solicitor didn't verbally say that this could be the case...but it is obviously written in the contract. I am in no doubt I have a fight on my hands as it's written in black and white, but to do this to someone 11 months after they could have backed out is terrible...and all because I complained about how bad their work is on something I am about to spend a lot of money on.

Ok, they may be a good solicitor. How much business do they get through you? How much do they get through the developer? Who are they going to want to keep happy?

Please get out of the idea that you are going to have a fight with the developer. You are not. They have exercised their legal rights correctly. The fact that the thing they haven't sold you was substandard is not your problem any more, because you are not buying it.

If you want to have a fight have it with the solicitor. If they never told you about the termination clauses, they should have. They appear to have put the interests of the developer above yours. The developer is obviously allowed to do this; they are not. You're aiming at the wrong target.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options

Why on earth would you want to "fight" or spend a lot of money, to buy this shoddy work?
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have the section in the agreement:

If such notice has not been served by the termination date then either party may determine this agreement by serving on the other written notice to that effect whereupon this agreement shall lapse and the deposit shall be returned to the Buyer within 10 working days of such determination.

What does the paragraph (or couple of paragraphs) immediately before that one say please?

This is very relevant to determining whether you can complain about your solicitor.
  • walwyn1978
    walwyn1978 Posts: 837 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 May 2018 at 8:57AM
    Options
    Another vote for getting what you can out of your solicitor and chalking this one up to a lucky escape, I'm afraid. Yes, you probably got the Black Spot put on you because you dared to complain and then carried on doing so. But having seen those pictures I have no faith that the works were actually done properly in the first place or indeed that any work done under warranty etc would be of any quality at all. That's not 'snagging' - that's seriously incompetent work or perhaps being charitable such poor quality of materials the workmen had to use this kind of thing was inevitable. Either way, you don't want to be living there and as and when you come to sell it if it's like this now what will it be like then?

I guess it must be hard having spent the money and become emotionally attached to what you think of as 'your house'. Good luck with whatever you decide to do next.
  • Ultra64
    Ultra64 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    walwyn1978 wrote: »
    Another vote for getting what you can out of your solicitor and chalking this one up to a lucky escape, I'm afraid. Yes, you probably got the Black Spot put on you because you dared to complain and then carried on doing so. But having seen those pictures I have no faith that the works were actually done properly in the first place or indeed that any work done under warranty etc would be of any quality at all. That's not 'snagging' - that's seriously incompetent work or perhaps being charitable such poor quality of materials the workmen had to use this kind of thing was inevitable. Either way, you don't want to be living there and as and when you come to sell it if it's like this now what will it be like then?

I guess it must be hard having spent the money and become emotionally attached to what you Thingy of as 'your house'. Good luck with whatever you decide to do next.

Thank you. Yes it has been difficult coming to terms with all this, considering I have been planning to move in for 19 months. I have got so much stuff purchased ready for the flat, it's quite depressing.
  • Ultra64
    Ultra64 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    What does the paragraph (or couple of paragraphs) immediately before that one say please?

This is very relevant to determining whether you can complain about your solicitor.

It says For the avoidance of doubt payment of the full purchase price shall be deemed to be satisfied by the buyer having entered into both of the equity mortgage document and paid the reduced purchase price as described above. I will add it to the the pictures so you can see it properly. (it's the last image)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/158160210@N04/albums/72157668853007918
  • Richard_Webster
    Richard_Webster Posts: 7,646 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The solicitor didn't verbally say that this could be the case...but it is obviously written in the contract.

Not good enough. Contracts are long technical documents and it is a solicitor's job to point out unusual clauses such as this. You would quite reasonably have assumed that if the contract had been exchanged it was legally binding on both sides. Your solicitor should have been at pains to explain that in some cases this was not the case. If he didn't then he is liable. Tell him you will expect him to pay the difference between the cost of this flat and that of a similar one you now purchase.
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure