PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Recorded Letter to Landlord - Then Visiting Landlord?

Options
13»

Comments

• ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    Absolutely you are within your rights to go to your landlord's house and ask him something. I am within my rights to turn up at your front door and ask you something. You have the right to do all sorts of crazy and unnecessary things; having a right to do something should never be interpreted as it being a sensible thing to do.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If it would help you, I should be happy to undertake a replacement myself and claim back the cost via future rent. I attach a quotation for a comparable washing machine. If this would assist you, please confirm in writing that this is the case and that the cost on the quotation is acceptable.
    A quotation for a 20 year old washing machine! I expect the only places you'd get the equivalent washing machine is in the junk yard of gumtree for free.

If I was the LL receiving this letter, I would laugh out loud and think 'are they for real!!'
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    There would be absolutely no need for landlord inspections if there were no rogue tenants.

I disagree. LL inspections have other purposes, like checking for maintenance issues that the tenant isn't aware of.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    FBaby wrote: »
    A quotation for a 20 year old washing machine! I expect the only places you'd get the equivalent washing machine is in the junk yard of gumtree for free.

If I was the LL receiving this letter, I would laugh out loud and think 'are they for real!!'
    There's no suggestion of a quote for a 20 year old w/machine.

The tenant is asking the LL to replace the existing machine. Granted, the LL may either
    * prefer to mend, or
    * deny all responsibility and do nothing

but if the LL does wish to replace it, and does prefer the option of letting the tenant buy/install at his (LL's cost), then providing a quote (or Currys advert/whatever) for a comparable new machine makes the approval/agreement simpler.

I'm not guaranteeing such a letter will work, or be legally enforceable, but it does no harm to try, and some LLs choose to accommodate reasonable tenant requests in situations like this.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What I was commenting on GM is the tone of the letter. The way it's phrased comes across very much as 'I'm entitled and you owe me'. As a LL, if I received such a letter, it would irk me because of the tone of it and wouldn't prompt me to do as little as I can as slowly as I can.

A simple 'Dear LL, I am not sure if the LA has contacted you about the washing machine. I understand from reading the contract that it is your responsibility to fix it, can you confirm that is your understanding to. Can we discuss how to best move forward'.
  • wesleyad
    wesleyad Posts: 754 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    FBaby wrote: »
    What I was commenting on GM is the tone of the letter. The way it's phrased comes across very much as 'I'm entitled and you owe me'. As a LL, if I received such a letter, it would irk me because of the tone of it and wouldn't prompt me to do as little as I can as slowly as I can.

I didn't read it as that at all, it seemed very mild "You can appreciate, If it would help you, if this would assist you" etc. He's basically giving him an easy out (tenant takes care of all the hassle of buying and fitting, he suffers a minor rent drop for a month)

I'd say OP has a right to be a bit peeved, 9 weeks after fault is recorded and no communication from LL is out of order (even if it was to deny responsibility).
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,606 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    There would be absolutely no need for landlord inspections if there were no rogue tenants. Landlords have to do periodic inspections to make sure that the tenant hasn't decided to sublet and move out, move in lots more people to make ...........blah blah blah....
    Not quite:

The only statutory right for a landlord to do an inspection (LL&T Act 1985 s11{6}), repairing obligations, is to check the place is OK for the tenant to live in
    for the purpose of viewing their condition and state of repair.
    . See
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/70/section/11

A landlord needs to do such inspections - for his own sake & to keep repair bills down, as well as avoiding problems with council & tenant.

Cheers!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport