PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Plug Sockets when moving house

Options

Comments

• eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,453 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I changed all the sockets 2 years anyway, im in no way an electrician but I know how to ensure a socket is safe for use.

TBH, if a seller proposed this to me, it would worry me quite a lot.

1. It suggests petty-mindedness. What else is the seller planning on taking/replacing? Light fittings, light bulbs, door handles?

2. A DIYer who won't be living in the property has limited incentive to do a good/careful job of replacing the sockets. Will they be bothered about making sure that every connection is really tight, and that every socket is completely level?
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,221 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Alter_ego wrote: »
    Not required for a simple socket faceplate change.
    Does that apply in the kitchen and bathroom? I thought the regulations were tighter for electrical work there.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Although the OP says he is competent, I think it would be reasonable for the buyer to at least request that the changes are completed by a qualified electrician.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,243 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ...To be fair we do have the 1% given the hard work they have been, ....

Ah, and there is the nub.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • CHlHlRO
    CHlHlRO Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You accept your buyer has been difficult, so even if they agree to you swapping them (I certainly wouldn!!!8217;t do it without consulting with them first at this late stage) I would want the reassurance of a professional job so they can!!!8217;t claim you did a bad one. That will cost. It!!!8217;s probably cheaper for you to replace the ones at the house you!!!8217;re going to and just leave these ones as they are!!!8212;you!!!8217;re confident enough in your skills for your own satisfaction but is that good enough for your !!!8220;difficult!!!8221; buyer? Possibly not. Not worth the hassle, imo.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Not required for a simple socket faceplate change.

Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificates ... ?
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    martindow wrote: »
    Does that apply in the kitchen and bathroom? I thought the regulations were tighter for electrical work there.

Sockets in the bathroom? Where do you live?
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • quantumlobster
    Options
    Sockets in the bathroom? Where do you live?
    Shaver/toothbrush sockets are fine and legal.
  • smem18
    smem18 Posts: 79 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think what you do is simple: just ask your buyer if its ok. If they start quibbling and say no, then I'd just leave it, put it down to experience (should have put it on the form earlier on) and then move on.

They just might say yes and prefer white ones. But like other posters have said, I think I'd want to see some sort of guarantee that they will all be in good condition and good working/legal order, otherwise you are liable for the repairs.
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,285 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't think they're likely to complain, and unlikely IMO to get anywhere if they do. If it happened to me, I'd make no effort to forward any misdirected mail any further than the bin.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport