PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

"Rent" friends house without agreement

Options
2»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 May 2018 at 9:27AM
    Options
    If its on a country estate, I wonder if it would quickly be known about and at risk of reporting anyway.

How old is the clause? If its ancient and no one is alive to chase your friend down, it might be immaterial.

Is it worth your friend going back to his solicitor and finding out if the clause can be challenged without throwing money down a black hole?

Does he spend no time there at all? If he spent some time there, you could be a lodger rather than a tenant with shared access to the facilities in the rest of the house that just aren't shared 365 days of the year. Normally that is allowed but would need to be clarified with the solicitor again (like how long he'd have to live there to make you a lodger rather than a tenant).

Otherwise, if he can't live there, it makes sense to smarten it up a bit and sell.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,785 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    About thirty years ago I applied to rent a property on an estate in Cheshire. There was a stately home in the middle and I wanted one of the various dwellings within the estate.

The managing agent wanted employment reference, a credit check, bank reference etc and after about a month they came back and told me I'd been accepted.

Unfortunately, I'd had to find an alternative as I couldn't wait for the time it took them and had to gracefully decline.

Coming back to this thread, I'm pretty sure there would have been some serious grief if I'd taken a tenancy and then sublet to someone who hadn't been subject to the vigorous screening we had...
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure