Ever had to (reluctantly) refuse/pass a prize?

Options
As there ever been a time when you've had to regretfully refuse a prize?
For example a getaway or concert that falls on a special event last like a wedding or even a funeral?
Or a white good or furniture prize that you found out wouldn't fit into your home?

Comments

• Monkey_Chinchilla
    Monkey_Chinchilla Posts: 31,017 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Can’t recall refusing a prize but have won some stuff I couldn’t use, at least not for its intended purpose.

I always wanted a free-standing bath so was made up when I won one but it didn’t fit in my bathroom so it sat in the shed for years. Had no luck selling it so just last week, I put it in the garden and converted it into a vegetable / herb garden. Waiting for a comp looking for photos of imaginatively upcycled stuff :rotfl:
  • Marg2k8
    Marg2k8 Posts: 5,838 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I won some tickets to a festival of light that I was looking forward to, but I was ill and couldn't go.
  • samfa
    samfa Posts: 223 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I won an Easter Egg this year, found out it was collection only - in Exeter (I'm in London)!
  • Blueyez
    Blueyez Posts: 2,983 Forumite
    edited 5 May 2018 at 7:38PM
    Options
    Won flowers that turned out to be collection only, I was in the wrong part of the country. I don't like entering comps that don't have Ts&Cs anymore so it has only happened the once (touch wood!)
    Also won tickets to the first screening of Big hero 6 at my local Odeon, but a few of us woke up with Chicken Pox the day before so we couldn't go.
    2018 wins-12wins
  • Autumnella
    Autumnella Posts: 605 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Won tickets to a show for the day after, had to turn it down as there was no way I could arrange childcare and get sorted in time.
    Make £10 per day-
    June: £100/£300
  • Autumnella
    Autumnella Posts: 605 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Also my first ever prize was an ebook, which I couldn't use as it turn out to be through itunes and only compatible on apple devices, which I don't have.
    Make £10 per day-
    June: £100/£300
  • Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,180 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I won a runner up prize of a week's holiday in a self catering apartment in Portugal, not included the flights, transfers and estimated food costs were much more than we could afford so we couldn't go.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • l1sa
    l1sa Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I Was Supposed To be in Ibiza this weekend with my daughter decided the day before she didn!!!8217;t want to go because the weather wasn!!!8217;t going to be nice and she would rather stay home were the weather is hot so a weekend away has gone to waste in an amazing boutique hotel because the name change on the flight would of cost £195 and nobody was able to go due to working or not being prepared to pay the name change cost for 2 days away.... Next holiday I win if am lucky I will not be taking her that!!!8217;s for sure
  • grannybiker
    grannybiker Posts: 12,128 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A couple of years ago I was thrilled to win Download tickets.
    Unfortunately, I hadn't been 100% healthwise and there was no way I could have gone to such a huge gathering with dubious sanitation. Gutted :(
    However, I was able to pass them on to another comper's daughter and Mr GB and I enjoyed a more formal weekend away instead.
    Worse things will have happened in the world today...
    "The only thing that really matters, it to love and to be loved."
  • oliveoyl
    oliveoyl Posts: 3,375 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A week's holiday to Marbella, inc. flights & hotel... my partner got diagnosed with cancer, so we couldn't go - my brother and his gf went instead.
    TOP MONEYSAVING TIP

Make your own Pot Noodles using a flower pot, sawdust and some old shoe laces. Pour in boiling water, stir then allow to stand for two minutes before taking one mouthful, and throwing away. Just like the real thing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure