Ever had to (reluctantly) refuse/pass a prize?

Options

Comments

• comper__9
    comper__9 Posts: 136 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I won tickets to a gig, but I couldn't get accomodation so contacted the organisers and asked them to pass the tickets on to someone else
  • nanny_7
    nanny_7 Posts: 932 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I won a break to Bluestone park, I think it was for a winter month anyway OH said it was too far to travel so had to decline it, It looks amazing and wish we had gone now :o
  • purcel
    purcel Posts: 1,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Won a week in a beautiful b&b in Spain, but no flights were included , plus it was in the middle of nowhere, with the closest restaurant about 5 miles away. Upgrading to full board was 550 euros. Had to decline as it would've been an expense we couldn't afford at the time :(

Another time I have won a Citroen Cactus hire for a weekend, but the nearest pick up point was about 1h away. I guess I didn't read the T&C's when I've entered the competition :(
  • slbhill
    slbhill Posts: 5,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I turned down a cruise to the Norwegian fjords. I was gutted.

I think a few others here turned this one down too, it was a big competition with one of the newspapers and there were 10+ winners (maybe even 100). It was leaving in 10 days time, and was for 2 people. I might have got annual leave at that notice but OH couldn't, and we couldn't have taken our baby - they said if they'd had any family cabins left we could have just paid the upgrade, but they were all booked. I could potentially have gone with just the baby but that didn't appeal much somehow!
  • Makeandsave
    Makeandsave Posts: 3,790 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I turned down tickets to a music night included a free bar near me because i was not well, Also turned down tickets to a movie opening night never said it was in London. I also asked a site to redraw a winner for some glasses because i did not at the time have a prescription to send them. I believe in Karma :)
    Jan Wins: .
  • stressedofdevon
    stressedofdevon Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Never be afraid to turn down a prize. I won a prize to attend a Big Brother final which included living like a celebrity for a day eating in fancy restaurants and a spa treatment. The PR company happily allowed me to live like a celebrity at home with a nice big wedge of shopping vouchers which kept me and my two daughters in treats for a year!

And then there was the time I won a holiday to Iceland but a family member was in hospital and every time I managed to put a date forward it was already booked adding to my stress, so in the end I asked to forfeit the prize. The company were wonderful and so accommodating and allowed me to choose any holiday on their books so a ten days in Iceland became two glorious, luxury weeks in sunny Italy! For me that really was a win.
    But there are dreams that cannot be,and there are storms we cannot weather!
  • Just_a_girl
    Just_a_girl Posts: 294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I entered a comp and forgot to check the distance. The prize was one nights hotel stay, cocktail class, drinks and Dinner. I couldn't live any closer to the sea on the South Coast, I can see the sea from my window - This prize was up near Newcastle and wasn't worth it for one night - so I reluctantly asked them to redraw and kicked myself as I always check location before I entre!
    2018 WINS: Gin & Chocolate Hamper*Kids Shoes*Sudocrem Goodeybag*Malvern Spring Festival Tickets*Kids's Book* Bosch Soundboxx*Board Game*Friction Free Shave Subscription*Splash Out Ball*Blackberry Farm Tickets* Tickets to Chessington *Cat Treats*Seed Mix*Contour Next One *Majestic Wine Gift Card*£500 Lakeland Bundle*Shorn Wine Pouch
  • Jeajea
    Jeajea Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    rceebear wrote: »
    I've just found out I've won a weeks self catering in France but it has to be taken by the end of next month. The competition ended middle of last month but I've only just been notified and am currently waiting to hear about the next steps. I'm not sure we'll be able to get time off work and make arrangements plus afford the other expenses at the moment, such as, travel etc. I was very excited but feeling a bit low now. I'd really like to go as it is an area I have wanted to visit for a while as that is where my family originated from way way back plus it is near some fantastic historical sites.
    That would be my absolute dream prize, but I'd prefer more notice too! Hope you get there.
  • brewthebear
    brewthebear Posts: 292 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Two festival tickets Pick up from local airfield to a helicopter ride over london then on to festival all camping inc plus return train home and taxi couldnt go but DIL had an amazing time.
    She said when they landed at festival in helicopter everyone thought they were celebs arriving and organisers went out of their way to make them feel special over the weekend.
  • moreofthegoodstuff
    Options
    Yes. £200 of Topman vouchers because I didnt realise it had to be filmed whilst being styled by some random guy off Love Island instead of just having vouchers to spend. No amount of persuading my husband would have got him on that!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure