What car dealerships accept credit card payments?

Options
Hi all

I need to buy a car having just secured a new job.

Does anyone have any idea if dealerships accept credit card payments up to say £3000?

Thanks

Unicorn
"Everything comes to him who hustles while he waits" Thomas Edison
Following the Martin mantra "Earn more, have less debt, improve credit worthiness" :money:

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Depends on the dealer.

Some will and some won’t - you’d need to ask
  • easy
    easy Posts: 2,516 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DH has just bought a 2nd hand Toyota from the main dealer in our city. They were happy to accept a credit card payment for much more than the figure you mention. I anticipated they might charge a % fee for credit card payments, but they didn't.

I think most main dealerships would happily accept credit card payments, but they WILL NOT accept cash - this is due to their responsibilities under money laundering regulations.

Small independent second-hand car dealers will all be different so check in advance, but do also ask if they charge a fee. The banks will charge the dealers somewhere between 2.5 to 5% for credit card transactions, so smaller dealers might pass that charge on to you.
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They can't charge a fee for credit cards.

Any dealer who accepts a card will have already built the cost into the price of the car.
  • bengalknights
    bengalknights Posts: 5,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Most mainstream dealers will accept it no issues, smaller garages may have floor limits they cant exceed.
  • its_all_over
    its_all_over Posts: 183 Forumite
    Options
    easy wrote: »
    DH has just bought a 2nd hand Toyota from the main dealer in our city. They were happy to accept a credit card payment for much more than the figure you mention. I anticipated they might charge a % fee for credit card payments, but they didn't.

I think most main dealerships would happily accept credit card payments, but they WILL NOT accept cash - this is due to their responsibilities under money laundering regulations.

Small independent second-hand car dealers will all be different so check in advance, but do also ask if they charge a fee. The banks will charge the dealers somewhere between 2.5 to 5% for credit card transactions, so smaller dealers might pass that charge on to you.

Its been against the law since January to charge a fee for using a credit card.

They would have to charge the fee for ALL payments or not at all.
  • easy
    easy Posts: 2,516 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Its been against the law since January to charge a fee for using a credit card.

Thanks, for some reason had completely forgotten about that change in legislation.
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Options

They can, for example, accept CCs only up to certain amounts - eg for paying a deposit.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I always use my credit card if it comes to big money sums
    Well worth resuscitating a three-year-old thread for that contribution - do you use your credit card when buying this too?

• cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,227 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    eskbanker said:
    I always use my credit card if it comes to big money sums
    Well worth resuscitating a three-year-old thread for that contribution - do you use your credit card when buying this too?

I thought this - but the OP has been a member for quite a while - although only two other posts. I thought they might have just signed up and didn't know their posterior from their elbow - but I was wrong. 
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • samharris50
    Options
    Spam detected B)
    Talking about the topic... Almost all the dealerships accept a credit card. I have bought my cars from dealerships twice and I paid with my credit card both times. It's much more practical and comfortable than cash.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback