PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Letting fees ban introduced to Parliament

Options
New rules to ban letting fees and high deposits in England have been presented to Parliament...
Read the full story:
'Letting fees ban introduced to Parliament'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven!!!8217;t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Comments

• boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 3 May 2018 at 1:50PM
    Options
    The cheekiest fee is charging the tenant and landlord to renew the contract after 6 months, the tenants are often told the landlord is 'insisting' its renewed when in many cases I doubt the landlord knows anything about it until they are also charged themselves for it. I'm sure in most cases tenants and landlords are happy to let it continue on a rolling contract, but of course the agent makes no money from that.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It is outrageous. About 20 years ago I am not aware of any fees. Also, notice periods were "1 month from when you give notice", so it was easier/quicker to move out if your circumstances changed.

There were no moving in check fees, nor moving out checking fees.

People struggling can easily end up "trapped" in something they know they can't afford, but can't give notice on .... and don't have £2-5k for fees/deposits/checks etc on a smaller place or one where a new job's been offered.

Years ago there'd be an advert of "flat to rent", you'd see it and agree to take it ... and maybe be moved in within a few days/the week. To leave you just gave a month's notice from any date. Much cleaner/simpler.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Does the shift in the voting block towards renters mean this will pass just to be seen as "doing something"?
  • HornetSaver
    HornetSaver Posts: 3,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    the shift in the voting block towards renters

What a fantastic euphemism for the state of the housing market.

I don't oppose any of these measures, but with a couple of them I see great risks if not implemented intelligently.

The bias is currently too far in favour of the landlord right now, and it's right that this is changing. But the one thing landlords need to know is that if they are acting within the rules and their tenants are not, these regulations do not make things more time consuming or costly for them to rectify the problem.

If they can't be sure of that, then rents will increase, because all landlords will be in the same boat. Conversely, if they can be sure of that, then this would be a benefit for the "good" landlords and agents relative to the "bad" ones, in the sense that a clampdown on unscrupulous use of fees and other charges will hurt people who are behaving most reasonably the least.
  • buggy_boy
    buggy_boy Posts: 657 Forumite
    Options
    I can see a few problems or unforeseen consequences... Although I totally agree tenant fees are outrageous I think a max fee for new tenancy and renewal that would just reflect the costs, would be better and this is why...

- To stop tenants just applying for multiple properties letting agents have planned to take a deposit, this will not be protected in a scheme and I can see all the problems we had before when it comes to deposits.

- Landlords will be less flexible, letting agents will still charge for renewals but landlords will pick up the bill, expect landlords to reject the tenant only wanting a 6 month renewal

- I recently had a situation when couple renting, they split up, she stayed in property, council wanted tenancy in just her name, to do this obviously there was a fee from letting agent (Needed letting agent because of all the new legislation), tenant paid this fee, if they could not have paid it will cause issues, there was no benefit for me to change the tenancy agreement, it was the council that needed it.

- Limiting deposits will mean it will be more difficult for tenants with bad credit history or those with pets getting a tenancy as landlords cannot get extra deposit to cover the extra risk.

I think this is all about wanting to be seen to be doing something and not really thinking it through and just like the windrush migrants that fell foul or right to rent this will unintentionally hit those that are most vulnerable the hardest.
  • thelem
    thelem Posts: 774 Forumite
    Options
    buggy_boy wrote: »
    Landlords will be less flexible, letting agents will still charge for renewals but landlords will pick up the bill, expect landlords to reject the tenant only wanting a 6 month renewal

As a landlord, you choose the letting agent, so they need to be competitive on fees and service. As a tenant, you choose the property and get whatever letting agent comes with it. Landlords don't necessarily even realise that the fees are being charged to the tenant.
    Note: Unless otherwise stated, my property related posts refer to England & Wales. Please make sure you state if you are discussing Scotland or elsewhere as laws differ.
  • buggy_boy
    buggy_boy Posts: 657 Forumite
    Options
    thelem wrote: »
    As a landlord, you choose the letting agent, so they need to be competitive on fees and service. As a tenant, you choose the property and get whatever letting agent comes with it. Landlords don't necessarily even realise that the fees are being charged to the tenant.

I agree however as a landlord we will also try to mitigate these costs, it may work out for the better for some tenants, I manage my own properties, as such I let them role into periodic tenancy agreements and some have been going like that for years, this suits some tenants rather than paying for a new tenancy every 6 months but for others they prefer the security of having a longer tenancy...

The problem I see is the agent is still working for the landlord yet the deposit for holding the property will be between tenant and agent, if something happens that results in the tenancy not taking place agents are going to be very reluctant to give back the deposit, in fact I can see scams coming about by rogue agents blaming tenants for not taking a property and keeping the deposit even when it was not the tenants fault.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The way it used to work for agents' income was that they had enough of a portfolio of properties to generate their income by charging the "10% of the rent" fee from the landlord.

These days, "everybody" became an agent and they have few properties on their books.

In the olden days you'd go to an agent, who had a lot of property on their books and they'd know what was going on with them all and which might be of interest to you ....

Nowadays 1001 agents each have 1-2 properties they're advertising and it's a pain in the butt calling round lots of different agents to try to get viewings for the one they've got.

If average rent is, say, £1000/month and if an agent takes £100 from that, then they could run their business with that passive income if they had 100 properties (100x£100 = £10,000/month). That's £10k/month for sitting on their bum tickling their admin along. They don't NEED to charge additional fees "to cover their costs" if they're running a viable business.

They all got ridiculously greedy - and once they spotted another agent had invented some "new fangled fees to rip cash from the pockets of tenants", they all added that one to their list.

Tenants used to just go to a viewing, pick a flat, sign the paperwork, hand over their deposit and first month's rent and move in.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    buggy_boy wrote: »
    I can see a few problems or unforeseen consequences... Although I totally agree tenant fees are outrageous I think a max fee for new tenancy and renewal that would just reflect the costs, would be better and this is why...

- To stop tenants just applying for multiple properties letting agents have planned to take a deposit, this will not be protected in a scheme and I can see all the problems we had before when it comes to deposits.

- Landlords will be less flexible, letting agents will still charge for renewals but landlords will pick up the bill, expect landlords to reject the tenant only wanting a 6 month renewal

- I recently had a situation when couple renting, they split up, she stayed in property, council wanted tenancy in just her name, to do this obviously there was a fee from letting agent (Needed letting agent because of all the new legislation), tenant paid this fee, if they could not have paid it will cause issues, there was no benefit for me to change the tenancy agreement, it was the council that needed it.

- Limiting deposits will mean it will be more difficult for tenants with bad credit history or those with pets getting a tenancy as landlords cannot get extra deposit to cover the extra risk.

I think this is all about wanting to be seen to be doing something and not really thinking it through and just like the windrush migrants that fell foul or right to rent this will unintentionally hit those that are most vulnerable the hardest.

Tenants should be able to apply for as many properties as they like, they are only legally bound once the paperwork is signed and their deposit is taken. If this goes through then agents will need to put pressure on people selling property to drop prices so that the agent can get a fee, which should be quite amusing to watch.....:)
  • Footos
    Options
    Hi,
    Our tenancy renewal is coming up in the next month. Does anyone know if the provisions of the new Bill will apply to existing tenancies?

I'm particularly worried about an additional clause where "Any further extensions or renewals at a later date will also be charged at £XXX".

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport