MSE News: Barclays offers switchers double rewards for a year

Comments

• youngretired
    youngretired Posts: 581 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Have always received reward without any problems unlike Co-op when they 1st launched theirs.

I've got my appointment tomorrow with Barclays to switch a maturing Nationwide (as done all other switches), so hopefully all will go smoothly.
  • crumpetman
    crumpetman Posts: 339 Forumite
    Is the branch visit mandatory? If it is then I will not go for this one, too much time wasted in the bank while they tell you about all their products.
  • binaryuniverse
    binaryuniverse Posts: 906 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    crumpetman wrote: »
    Is the branch visit mandatory? If it is then I will not go for this one, too much time wasted in the bank while they tell you about all their products.

It appears so. Every account I've opened, in the last 14 months, has not required me to visit a branch in order to switch. Barclays, I set everything up online, and had my ID verified, but I still have to go in. Fortunately, one is near my office, so I'll be heading down on my lunch.
  • beefturnmail
    beefturnmail Posts: 906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It appears so. Every account I've opened, in the last 14 months, has not required me to visit a branch in order to switch. Barclays, I set everything up online, and had my ID verified, but I still have to go in. Fortunately, one is near my office, so I'll be heading down on my lunch.

Let us know how it goes - don't mind popping in, flashing my passport and then leaving - if it's a sit down, lengthy hard-sell then not sure I will bother either
  • Ashen
    Ashen Posts: 592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Been told when trying to book an appointment that you can switch online if logging in via PIN Sentry. I'm not in a position to check that right now though.
  • aj23_2
    aj23_2 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    crumpetman wrote: »

If they do just cut them off a say no thanks. Bit silly not to switch because they might try and sell a credit card in branch.
  • aj23_2
    Is the £14 for the two direct debits before the £3 fee? So it's £11 a month?
  • Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    aj23 wrote: »
    Is the £14 for the two direct debits before the £3 fee? So it's £11 a month?

Yes it is.
  • aj23_2
    Herbalus wrote: »
    Yes it is.

Thanks.

Hmm I don't know. I switched from Nationwide to Halifax in October. I didn't really want to switch again before 12 months and Barclays isn't my preferred banker but this is quite a good offer in comparison to what's on offer.
  • keiran
    keiran Posts: 739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I have just wasted 45 minutes of my life dealing with a Barclays telephone operator.

She knew nothing about the switching deal (or indeed about switching).

So I then asked her to make an appointment for me at a local branch. She said she had system errors after 10 minutes of my being kept on hold. She then said she'd ask her colleagues if they had the error, and reverted to me after 10 minutes to say one of them could help. And then she cut me off instead of transferring me.

I would do everything online, naturally, but in the rare circumstance when one needs a human, I am more-often-than-not disappointed.

And then another 15 minutes of having to compose a complaint

What's the point of having telephone operators in this Monty-Pythonesque situation?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure