Switching from Plusnet, Penality Charged?

Options
I signed up with Plusnet Fibre Unlimited on an 18 month contract. I have one month left. I was originally paying £27.50 but have seen two price increases of £1 each. I don't understand why I am in a contract if they can change the price anytime they want. I understand I can leave Plusnet without a penality charge as long as I do it within 30 days of recieving the price increase email.

I spoke to Plusnet on the phone and they offered me a deal of £22 a month which was good but I decided to switch to Vodafone which is £18 a month. I asked the agent what do I do for the switch? he said just apply with the new ISP and they will handle the rest. This is what I have done, Vodafone Broadband is now ordered but I had an email and letter from Plusnet saying I have to pay £12.16 charge for remaining months. The letter only acknowledges that I am moving phone service and says they have no confirmation yet of a broadband switch.

Can they do this? I thought this was a penality free switch? As far as I am aware, the fibre and phone line (which I only have for broadband) is a joint bundled charge.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's 14 days notice on phone/BB plus any call charges you may be liable for, that is what the charge will be for. You need to contact Vodafone to make sure your order has gone through.
  • gohan2091
    gohan2091 Posts: 301 Forumite
    Options
    But I don't have a phone, only line rental but I have no phone connected. Why should there be a charge?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    gohan2091 wrote: »
    I signed up with Plusnet Fibre Unlimited on an 18 month contract. I have one month left. I was originally paying £27.50 but have seen two price increases of £1 each. I don't understand why I am in a contract if they can change the price anytime they want. I understand I can leave Plusnet without a penality charge as long as I do it within 30 days of recieving the price increase email.

I spoke to Plusnet on the phone and they offered me a deal of £22 a month which was good but I decided to switch to Vodafone which is £18 a month. I asked the agent what do I do for the switch? he said just apply with the new ISP and they will handle the rest. This is what I have done, Vodafone Broadband is now ordered but I had an email and letter from Plusnet saying I have to pay £12.16 charge for remaining months. The letter only acknowledges that I am moving phone service and says they have no confirmation yet of a broadband switch.

Can they do this? I thought this was a penality free switch? As far as I am aware, the fibre and phone line (which I only have for broadband) is a joint bundled charge.

Because it's not a fixed price contract...
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    But I don't have a phone, only line rental but I have no phone connected. Why should there be a charge?

What difference do you truly think it makes whether you choose to plug a phone in or not?

I'm almost hoping that you aren't serious in your question.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Bit like saying I have no petrol in the car and I don't see why I should still have to pay my insurance/vehicle excise duty. Having no petrol in a car doesn't excuse you from needing it to be insured and taxed. Likewise not having a phone plugged in doesn't excuse you from having to pay line rental.
  • gohan2091
    Options
    I'm not saying I shouldn't pay line rental because I don't using a phone but its the only reason I have it because of broadband. My question is not being answered. I understood I could leave penalty free so why is there a charge upon me leaving?
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You are in a contract that says in the T&C they can change the price at any time .

You don't yet have your new provider supplying .
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm not saying I shouldn't pay line rental because I don't using a phone but its the only reason I have it because of broadband. My question is not being answered. I understood I could leave penalty free so why is there a charge upon me leaving?

Have you bothered to check with Vodafone yet (as advised) if the whole order as been placed? No one here can tell you anymore than you've already been.
  • gohan2091
    Options
    I phoned Plusnet today and they said they will cancel the fee so hopefully all is sorted now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure