Urgent help for medical insurance assistance abroad. They've refused to pay

Options

Comments

• Jlo31
    Jlo31 Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I agree with what others have said. The only options I see is to self fund for now and then take it to the official complaints line and let ombudsmen rule on the decision.

Was the drunk driver insured? May be possible to claim costs from the driver if they were at fault?

Very sorry to hear about your Brother though and wish him a good recovery.
  • Reardoa
    Reardoa Posts: 155 Forumite
    Options
    Jeez that sounds horrendous. Sadly they are now in an even worse situation having to repatriate him. Awful.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    Crikey, that's awful.:(

I've had a look at the site and unless they've updated things pretty sharpish it should have been clear that their policies aren't suitable for a motorbike touring holiday. They specifically exclude claims relating to motorbike accidents on a motorbike tour or when a motorbike was the main form of transport.

Talk about a cautionary tale.
  • Nearlyold
    Nearlyold Posts: 2,292 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 3 May 2018 at 8:35PM
    Options
    Cut and paste from the insurers site, Its the same as when I checked it yesterday late evening.

The (1) (2) (3) & (4) refer to the level of cover you need to buy to get that cover, unfortunately there is no cover for Motorcycle Touring. All very sad.

Motor biking (on road over 125cc) (2) Special condition (b) and a helmet must be worn. No Touring or where a motorbike is the main mode of transport. No Personal Liability Cover

Motor biking (on road under 125cc) (1) Special condition (b) and a helmet must be worn .No Touring or where a motorbike is the main mode of transport. No Personal Liability Cover

Motor biking / trail biking ( off-road 125cc or over) (4) Special condition (b) and a helmet must be worn. No Touring or where a motorbike is the main mode of transport. No Personal Liability Cover

Motor biking / trail biking ( off-road under 125cc) (3) Special condition (b) and a helmet must be worn. No Touring or where a motorbike is the main mode of transport. No Personal Liability Cover

Motorbiking pillion passenger (on road only) see Motorbiking

This link from an FAQ form 2016 is even more explicit

https://helpdesk.worldnomads.com/customer/en_gb/portal/articles/2405935-am-i-covered-by-travel-insurance-if-im-riding-a-motorbike-or-scooter-
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Here's the Just Giving page if anyone can help.

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/chrispeckourgentlegiant

I've no relation to the family, just found the link. A tragic story.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,990 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    Whenever you are unhappy with your insurer the route to go down is a complaint in line with their complaints procedure by the policyholder

Then if unhappy with the reply or they ignore you for 8 weeks you can escalate to the FOS for their adjudication at no cost to you

This doesn't help if you don't have 8 weeks to wait. Is there an option for an expediated decision in cases of an urgent nature?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    This doesn't help if you don't have 8 weeks to wait. Is there an option for an expediated decision in cases of an urgent nature?

No, but it's still quicker than the alternative (legal action)
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,990 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    No, but it's still quicker than the alternative (legal action)

Not quick enough in this case.

Even now with the sad turn of events, they won't want to wait 8 weeks to repatriate, so it could well result in them spending the money and then trying to claim back if their complaint is successful.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    Not quick enough in this case.

Even now with the sad turn of events, they won't want to wait 8 weeks to repatriate, so it could well result in them spending the money and then trying to claim back if their complaint is successful.

Assuming it is the publicised case and he has sadly died.
    I assume the just giving fund should cover costs to bring him home?
    does it cost more than £11.5K in such circumstances?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure