Employer trying to avoid redundancy payment?

Options
I am a long time lurker on these boards but now find myself in need of specific advice for a family member - its a long story but I will try to condense.
My cousin has been employed by a cleaning contractor company for more than 10 years at a building occupied by a government agency. They have always done full time hours and at the same place of work.
She can't locate her original contract.
The government agency have moved to a different building which has been planned for months, my cousin has been left dangling for all this time to find out if she still has a job.
Two weeks ago, her area manager told her she would be getting made redundant as there was no alternative job for her that was the same number of hours. The next day her manager announced they had a job for her somewhere else nearby. The same hours, role (supervisor) and pay.
There has been nothing in writing.

My cousin went to the new place of work yesterday and found the job is not the same as her previous position and has not gone back there today.

The process itself does not seem right to me but I've not been through anything like this personally. It feels like she is being fobbed off.

Has anybody got any advice as to the next step to take? It would be useful to know if she is entitled to anything.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ssparks2003
    ssparks2003 Posts: 809 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    By not going back is she signalling to the employer that she resigns? Just walking out on the job is not the way to handle it. How different is the new role?
  • nanniem
    Options
    Hello, thank you for your reply.
    The role is different in that it isn't a supervisor position and the person who is supervisor (there is only one in each building) and has been in that position in the new place for a while, has made the pecking order clear.
    Walking out is a worry which is why I am trying to intervene quickly.
    thanks
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,761 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is there a difference in pay or hours?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • nanniem
    Options
    Hi, not that I am aware of but she hasn't formally been given any details. Thanks
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Should have asked for the job being offered on a 4 week trial basis.

Why is she not working at the new location of the department that moved?
  • Peelerfart
    Peelerfart Posts: 2,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have to agree,again, with gm4!, She has to go to her place of work. Fight the case from within, not give them any reason to give her a hard time, potentially.
    Space available for rent
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Either continue to work under protest and raise a grievance about it, or resign and bring a constructive dismissal claim. Would take advice before doing the latter. Just not turning up is absolutely the worst thing to do.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • nanniem
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, very helpful.
    She has been in touch with the area manager and agreed to take this week off and reconsider next week.
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Someone had offered me another post on the same hours and money but with less responsibility I'd have bitten their hand off.
  • sew109
    sew109 Posts: 618 Forumite
    Options
    Johno100 wrote: »
    Someone had offered me another post on the same hours and money but with less responsibility I'd have bitten their hand off.

I wouldn’t
    Its Vegas time -no longer :T a five year old has changed Vegas time to Orlando time
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure