Help - three saying I owe money after 10 years

Hi not sure what to do. Three recently contacted me saying I owed them over £300 for a contract 10 years ago! The money has been building up as I didn’t pay apparently. It states on the letter that they couldn’t contact me .. but why now? I’ve been on the electoral roll at all of my addresses and they had my email address when I was with them. I do not recall owing any money to them and they have not tried to contact me or it hey did they obviously haven’t tried hard enough. I phoned and asked for proof of contacting me and proof of the bill. They said they would post it out and I never received anything. Last week I received a letter from the debt company they have sold my debt to. I have heard they can’t go after people for a debt older than 6 years?
Please help! Thank you

Comments

• Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The 6 years before the debt becomes 'Status Barred' is from the point of last contact, not from the date of the debt.
    So, it Three can prove that they made contact with you anytime in the last 6 years they can still chase you.
    If they can't prove that, then they can't.

You need to contact the agency and get any action put on hold until you've resolved the above with Three.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Jon_01 wrote: »
    The 6 years before the debt becomes 'Status Barred' is from the point of last contact, not from the date of the debt.

'Statute barred' is the term you're looking for.
    So, it Three can prove that they made contact with you anytime in the last 6 years they can still chase you.
    If they can't prove that, then they can't.

The OP has to have acknowledged the existence of the debt (for eg. made a payment or proposed a payment plan), not simply that Three made contact with him.
    ====
  • Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    d123 wrote: »
    'Statute barred' is the term you're looking for.

Thanks, one of the reasons I hate autocorrect!! (but I should have checked. . .).
  • Ok thank you. Also read something about it being 5 years for Scotland do you know anything about this?
  • Ok so I should get in contact with three. So pretty much if they provide me with proof of them trying to get in contact with me in the past six years then I have to pay this? If they can provide me with proof of the bill too.
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    They will have also trashed your external credit files for the 6 years. I suggest you check those to see what's on there. The six years may now been off depending on when they regisstered a debt.
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Kernel_Sanders Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 27 April 2018 at 10:11PM
    You might be able to get a payment from a cashback site for checking through them.
    Nsw888 wrote: »
    Ok so I should get in contact with three. So pretty much if they provide me with proof of them trying to get in contact with me in the past six years then I have to pay this?
    Looks like they don't have the proof. I suspect the case has been sold cheaply because of this, and the purchaser is just trying it on. Personally, I would just ignore them.
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Yes - the maximum is 5 years for those in Scotland, however this is only od any relevance should it actually come to a Scottish Court. Most firms in England will pursue by a standard template showing 6 years.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure