PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Is it reasonable to refuse buyers access?

Options

Comments

• prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,165 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If it's builders then that would suggest they want to plan some building work, maybe an extension.

Presumably they'd want to get some measurements and suchlike, rather than actually start wielding their sledghammers 'round.

So long as you make sure they wipe their feet, I can't see that it should be an issue.
  • powerful_Rogue
    powerful_Rogue Posts: 7,524 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    These kinds of posts always amaze me!

You want the buyer to spend £100k, £200k, £300k+ etc on your house and think think its unacceptable for them to get checks carried out.

Why is that probably the biggest purchase you'll ever make in your life and people want to limit the amount of times you can look.

If I was the buyer and you said no to the builders coming round to check out a few things, then i'd walk away from the sale.
  • Sky_
    Sky_ Posts: 605 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    We pulled out of a purchase because the vendors refused to give us access for builder's visits to get quotes for required work. The survey threw up issues with the roof and some windows so we wanted to know how expensive the repairs would be. They thought it 'wasn't necessary' and was 'too inconvenient'.

We'd only disturbed them three times at that point (two brief viewings plus the surveyor's visit) so we felt that the vendors were being unreasonably obstructive and/or had smething to hide. They'd been difficult from the start so this was the last straw for us.

Ultimately, we found a better house at a lower price but the house we pulled out of was (eventually) sold for 10k less than we'd been willing to pay.

As said by the posters above, really isn't worth being obstructive when people are paying several hundreds of thousands for your house.
    2022. 2% MF challenge. £730/3000
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    TamsinC wrote: »
    1st viewing obviously just a look around, 2nd we actually got invited to Sunday Lunch (that was a first)
    With one property we drove 150miles to visit for the first time, the vendors decided that we'd be pleased to stay for lunch. It was a smallholding and they wanted us to taste the fruits of their labours.

Now I'm happy to meet and chat with goats, but that's normally as far as I go. I know goat's cheese is popular nowadays, but it never has been with me, or my OH.

Cue a very difficult lunch, because we knew that we wouldn't be buying, cheese or (preferably) no cheese! :rotfl:
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    With one property we drove 150miles to visit for the first time, the vendors decided that we'd be pleased to stay for lunch. It was a smallholding and they wanted us to taste the fruits of their labours.

Now I'm happy to meet and chat with goats, but that's normally as far as I go. I know goat's cheese is popular nowadays, but it never has been with me, or my OH.

Cue a very difficult lunch, because we knew that we wouldn't be buying, cheese or (preferably) no cheese! :rotfl:

Guess there were too many holes in the house then....
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • slopemaster
    slopemaster Posts: 1,579 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We also had Sunday lunch at our second viewing of a house - and then got invited to Sunday lunch again between exchange and completion, when I asked if my parents could come and see the place as they were giving us a loan.
    (This was in France though.) We became good friends with the vendors, visiting them in their house in town some distance away. We also "inherited" an old friend of theirs in the village.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    These kinds of posts always amaze me!

You want the buyer to spend £100k, £200k, £300k+ etc on your house and think think its unacceptable for them to get checks carried out.

Why is that probably the biggest purchase you'll ever make in your life and people want to limit the amount of times you can look.

If I was the buyer and you said no to the builders coming round to check out a few things, then i'd walk away from the sale.
    In my experience, most women buying a new dress spend far longer trying it on, taking it home, returning it etc than many people spend checking out their £300,000 property.]

Now I know the cost of dresses has gone up (boy, do I just!) but really!
  • jackomdj
    jackomdj Posts: 3,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The house before this we had people go around to measure up for a back fence. The 'builders' 3 wire fence was no good as we had a dog and we wanted the fence up as soon as we moved in.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Just wanted to say it's mad to box anything up before exchange! De-clutter by all means.

A couple of viewings is expected. Even 3 or 4. Are you saying they had more? A surveyor is pretty much expected. A valuation is essential if they have a mortgage. Anything else to check stuff I would consider fairly usual too. Really don't think it's that much of a problem. If I thought they were using it to knock the price down (was scared my own buyers were doing this as they had a couple of extra reports done), that's different.

They sound very keen and very serious to me.

Good luck.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Once again, a situation where there's differing opinions on how to proceed in an E&W sale, but detailed in print in a Scottish one.

Standard offer clauses (Section 10 of
    https://www.lawscot.org.uk/media/1209/client-guide-for-scottish-standard-clauses-edition-2.pdf ) outline that;

"10 ACCESS
    10.1 The Seller will, after conclusion of the Missives and upon receipt of reasonable notice by the Purchaser, give access to the Purchaser or his agents to the Property at reasonable times for the purposes of inspection, measurement or the provision of quotations. This right of access however shall not be exercised on more than 2 occasions without the consent of the Seller."

Up until point of offer, buyer can return as many times as they wish, by arrangement with seller/agent, but once the offer is accepted, there's no access until after the contract is settled by conclusion of missives.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure