The MF pipe dream

Options

Comments

• shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Am feeling your car pains! Mine is in for MOT tomorrow and I'm dreading THE phone call...!
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • Youthgonewild
    Youthgonewild Posts: 169 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Fingers crossed Jimmy!

It's times like this I wish we had wings. No more transport trouble :)
    Mortgage balance October 2015: £99875 Mortgage balance June 2023: £69999.40
  • Youthgonewild
    Options
    Well, it's been a while since I've last posted so here goes. I've completely dropped my mortgage overpayments to £50 a month. I am a bit gutted about this as I was hoping to be further along but life gets in the way. My eldest son turned 7 today, I haven't spent a lot for his birthday with it being not far from Xmas but he is happy with what he has received.

I have started making inroads into decluttering my house - this is a never ending process. Last year I said one of my goals was to decorate my hallway. Well I did that last July, it looks great but I had some unused rolls of wallpaper which I managed to sell for £5. Not bad considering they were sat in a box for a few months.

I have just bought new carpet and had it fitted in my front room. I have also completely decorated my front room. It looks so much better now and the carpet is gorgeous, I can't believe it is mine! I have also bought a brand new sofa in the sale. It won't arrive til March. I'm generally not a fan of buying things on finance, but its 0% interest over 4 years and will only cost me £30/month. Hoping to pay this off as soon as possible.

I have all the usual car stuff coming up soon - Service, MOT, Tax, Insurance. So I'm trying to budget for that.

My current balance stands at £82300 but my mortgage payment goes out in 3 days. I'm slowly chipping away. 
  • Youthgonewild
    Options
    Well I've had a great and busy weekend. I had Friday off work as I was owed a lot of Flexi-time back, so it was great to have a 3 day weekend. Also, It was my birthday so I had a little gathering of friends, and we played board games (so rock and roll, but I much prefer to going out these days). I got some lovely gifts and my parents gave me a little bit of money... soooo I overpaid my mortgage with it  :D 
    I had a removal man come to take the old settee away yesterday - it belongs to the ex, so he has got it back now. My new settee will arrive Wednesday. I'll be glad to have something to sit on in the front room.

My broadband contract was coming to the end so I have just signed up to  cheaper deal with faster broadband. Won't be saving megabucks, but a few extra quid a month in my pocket can't harm.

Any road, back to work it is.
  • Youthgonewild
    Options
    Hey, Just checking in as it's been a long while since I last did.

Hope everybody is ok, I haven't been on this board so haven't kept up with diaries etc. This is the weirdest situation I've found myself in, I think for many it will be the same. I'm currently furloughed from work until the end of this month. With Boris' speech the other night, it is likely we will be returning to work and school soon....

I knew furloughing was on the cards, and to be honest, I gladly welcomed it as I'm a lone parent with 2 young kids, and I'm desperately trying to get through the days of homeschooling, which is bloody tough. Eldest needs a lot of support with his work. Youngest is still at nursery and will be starting Reception class (with any luck) in September. So it's tricky, and on top of all this the chores are constant, I am forever preparing food and washing up (no dishwasher) and I have pets. So everyday is pretty full on. Can't complain though, we have our health and that is what's most important at this time.

With regard to furloughing, I have been able to make some overpayments to the mortgage. The current balance as of today stands at £81124, and my regular mortgage payment is due on the 15th, so I can't wait for that. I can almost see the end of the 80's now. It doesn't seem that long ago I was excited to be entering it and wrote a post on here. The 70's is now in sight. I'm going to try and see what I can overpay each month (if possible) without changing my DD amount. I can't wait to have 7 at the front of the balance.

Anyways, take care all and stay safe. 
  • Youthgonewild
    Options
    I've been toying around on the overpayment calculator again and I really hope I can be MF by the time I'm 50. I've shaved 5 years off so far. I forgot I made an OP of £25 a few days ago so that went through today. I get paid in 2 days and most of my bills go out same day. Will look to see what I can OP this month. I'm obsessed with clearing the mortgage :blush:
  • Mortgagefreegonnabe
    Options
    Well done on the overpayments it sounds like it's all starting to add up and have an effect. 
    If it's any consolation we have a dishwasher and I empty it 3 times a day!
    I've started the kids off on a water bottle of juice every day so they are clear which drink is theirs and at least it saves on washing so many glasses slightly. 
    I've banned the use of the tumble dryer now that the weather is nice and we have the time to hang stuff outside. I'm not sure what financial difference it will make but every penny I suppose x 
    Jan update
    2021 MFW #39  £228.76/£5000 
    Current mortgage @ 1/2/2021  £94 900.00 
    Mortgage end date Jan 2041. Current OP end date March 2039. Target June 2027.
    2021 Personal savings £1 803.25/£5 880
    2021 Personal Freetrade shares £102.81 (putting £50 per month in - love it!).
    2021 Joint sinking fund £36.83/£500
    2021 Summer holiday fund £330.35/£1350
  • South_coast
    South_coast Posts: 4,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I am SO sick of washing up and there's only one of me, so I feel your pain!
    Mortgage start: £65,495 (March 2016)
    Cleared 🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️!!! In 5 years, 1 month and 29 days
    Total amount repaid: £72,307.03. £1.10 repaid for every £1.00 borrowed

Finally earning interest instead of paying it!!!
  • Youthgonewild
    Options
    Well done on the overpayments it sounds like it's all starting to add up and have an effect. 
    If it's any consolation we have a dishwasher and I empty it 3 times a day!
    I've started the kids off on a water bottle of juice every day so they are clear which drink is theirs and at least it saves on washing so many glasses slightly. 
    I've banned the use of the tumble dryer now that the weather is nice and we have the time to hang stuff outside. I'm not sure what financial difference it will make but every penny I suppose x 
    That's a really good idea re. filling up water bottles in the day for the kids. Might try this. Also the weather, for the most part has been a Godsend. My tumble dryer has barely been used (wish I could say the same for my poor old washing machine). Thank you for reading my diary, I realise I live a boring life, but knowing that people take the time to comment helps massively with the encouragement. Hope you're having a great weekend.
  • Youthgonewild
    Options
    South coast, washing up is the bane of my existence. I'm tempted to get rid of all plates and cutlery and just use disposable ones instead. I jest :wink:
    My mortgage payment for May has gone out, so current balance stands at £80588. Woooooooo! I'm getting there :grin:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure