The MF pipe dream

Options

Comments

• Youthgonewild
    Options
    Back again!

Not posted for a while so here goes...

I decided on Saturday night to go through my accounts, see where my money is going as I seem to spend loads of money constantly. Prior to having kids I used to able to have a wodge of cash in my bank account and barely touch it for weeks. Now children are on the scene, it seems I'm spending all the time,constantly nipping to Lidl or Morrisons to do 'top-up shops' as we always run out of things by mid-week. My kids eat a fair amount and I find food just doesn't last in our house.

Anyway I went through my accounts on Saturday night, to see how much I was doing top-up shops - at least once a week it would appear. So I'm going to reassess how/when I buy food items and maybe impose a strict rule in our house that 'once its gone, its gone' until the next weekly shop and the kids will have to make do with something else.

I've also looked at where I can cut back in my budget which I think will help. I have some savings so I'm not short of cash should an emergency arise but I think looking at my finances again and being honest about my spends can't harm.

To give me something to look forward to, we have a free rock festival (tribute acts) in my home town every summer. You book the tickets for free, then all you pay is the booking fee (about £3.90 per person). As I'm taking the kids (hoping they will like it) it came to under £12. Its a whole weekend event but we are just doing the Saturday. A) better bands, B) my friends band is headlining \m/ :D\m/

Oh and prior to going through my accounts, I have been putting some more OP's towards the mortgage. Current balance £86200.

Until next time...

Mortgage balance October 2015: £99875 Mortgage balance June 2023: £69999.40
  • Youthgonewild
    Options
    Oh My.... I forgot to mention something else. I've been so busy lately with Easter Hols I've forgot what day of the week it is!

But I am pleased to say that I finally managed to get all my hallway and stairs/landing woodwork glossed over the Easter Break. It was one of my goals this year to get my hallway and stairs decorated. Well - with help from the childminder looking after my sprogs for a few days over Easter - I finally did it!!!!!!! :T This makes me tremendously happy!

Next thing is to wallpaper it all, but I have a family friend coming next month to do it for me. He's a painter/decorator by trade but he will only be charging me mates rates. So I can hopefully tick off one of my main goals for this year! :j:j
  • Working_Mum
    Working_Mum Posts: 559 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Youthgonewild,
    I have been a single Mum to 2 children (now aged 17 & 20) for almost 10 years. I had (have) two very hungry kids who love food! I tended to make sure I over catered (empty cupboards and fridges make me feel uncomfy) but would have a "when it's gone it's gone policy" and they coped ok!

I am self-employed so "Mum's payday" was on a Thursday and that's when I did the food shopping etc (having kept my list throughout and meal planned the week).

I still boil a dozen eggs on a Sunday and leave them in the fridge for a quick snack. I only buy fruit I know they like so nothing is wasted and always have a couple of packets of Angel D3light in the cupboard for when they want something sweet! As they got older they de-frosted meals and fed themselves.

Well done on redecorating your hallway!! I am painting the woodwork in mine this weekend so am hoping for the zen like calm to do it!!
  • Youthgonewild
    Youthgonewild Posts: 169 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks very much Working Mum. I too have to only buy things I know they will eat, otherwise I end up throwing stuff away :(
    When does the fussy-earing stage end? :rotfl:
  • Youthgonewild
    Options
    Also, good luck with the paint work. Try not to fall into it and get a streak of paint in your hair (Not that this happened to me, of course.... *whistles*.... nothing to see here.....:D)
  • monz
    monz Posts: 4,129 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud! Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    You are doing amazing with it all!xx
    Debt (1/9/14) £6,702.11 Debt free (30/11/2016) mortgage port- £70,077.82 and mortgage £126,517.39 o/s currently
    Debt - £17,190.83 (29/7/22) now (19/8/22) £16,688.80
  • Youthgonewild
    Options
    Thank you so much Monz, you keep giving me encouragement and I'm really grateful for it :lovethoug:kisses3: The thing I find the most soul-destroying is the monthly interest. I could cry when I see it land on my balance. It's coming around again in a few days
  • Working_Mum
    Working_Mum Posts: 559 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Also, good luck with the paint work. Try not to fall into it and get a streak of paint in your hair (Not that this happened to me, of course.... *whistles*.... nothing to see here.....:D)

I will do my best lol - I am so clumsy that I never escape unscathed from any DIY that I do!
  • Youthgonewild
    Options
    Me neither, Working Mum, in fact I think I secretly just like creating more work for myself :D

Ok, so car has yet another fault. Taking it in to the garage tomorrow (I swear it spends it's life there :mad:). The coolant/water tank thingy is leaking.i only recently had that 'fixed' but obviously it hasn't worked. So taking it to a different garage this time.

I've got a 4 day weekend off at the end of this month for the bank hol, so I've decided to take the kids camping in Wales. £58 for 3 nights, hope they enjoy it. We could do with a break.

Just sent £3 off to the mortgage, whoop whoop! Good night all xx
  • Youthgonewild
    Options
    Story of my life....

Took my car into the garage today, the water pump has gone. It drives the cam belt so I can't drive the car. The garage called me just now and told me this and that if they start working on it tomorrow, it'll be ready to pick up Friday :(
    Downside is nice got 2 kids to drop off at childminders and school and my job is 20 miles away from home. Gonna have to see what I can do. The mechanic said it's looking to cost around £300 :( but he said if I was to drive it and the cam belt went it would be more like a grand to fix. So it's best I keep it in the garage til it's sorted.

Mortgage free? I'd be lucky to have a car problem-free month :mad:

On the upside I've got 2 for 1 meerkat movies and meals. I cheekily bought travel insurance for one day on the meerkat website in the UK. It cost a pound but it means I qualified for the 2 for 1 offer :money: I didn't need travel insurance, I just thought I'd buy the cheapest thing I could buy on the website to get the offer :rotfl:

Onwards and upwards I guess. Til next time...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure