No more pets.

My rabbit has just died.

He was nearly 11 years old.

We lost our Westie a few weeks ago aged over 17.

That is it, no more, I cannot take the loss.

Feeling stupidly emotional as my brother is seriously ill as well.

Sometimes I hate life.

Comments

• Rubik
    Rubik Posts: 315 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    I'm so sorry for your loss. Losing a beloved pet is never easy, and to lose two so close together, well I can't begin to imagine how you feel right now.

When ym 16 year old cat died, we made a memory book, filled with photos and our memories of him. My children had grown up with him, and they especially felt the loss keenly.

Take it one day at a time.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,658 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Sorry to hear you've lost your pets, that's very unkind timing. Wishing your brother a rapid return to good health.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I'm so sorry. It's part of the conditions of pet ownership, but it doesn't make it any easier. Every time we lose a beloved companion, it's 'never again' - then another fur babe somehow comes into our lives. It's meant to be.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    I'm so sorry. When we get a pet we are buying ourselves heartache a few years down the line. We know we will be devastated sooner or later but we also know that the benefits while the pet is with are totally worth it.

I hope your brother has a full and speedy recovery.

If you don't feel able to have another pet what about something borrow my doggy, or volunteering to dog walk or even foster for one of the rescues?
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »

That is it, no more, I cannot take the loss.
    We've said that after our previous 3 dogs & 2 rabbits. It doesn't last we are now on our 4th dog and 3rd rabbit. We will probably say it again when one of those goes but after a few months we will probably get another.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thank you everyone.

Just feeling sorry for myself.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    They were around for a long time so it will take a while for the grief to pass. There is no rules about this, just do what feels right. If you cant face another pet and the inevitable loss maybe volunteer at an animal charity? Maybe in future you will feel different though. You can never replace a pet but you can love another one when the time is right.
  • melbury
    melbury Posts: 13,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    So sorry to hear of the dreadful time you are having.

We lost our lovely dog to cancer last year and he was just 10 years old - we were heartbroken. It is the same every time we lose a dog, but as I am sure you know, time is a healer and another companion does fill the gap in your life. So please don't give up on having another pet.
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

• cullet
    cullet Posts: 129 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Give yourself time to grieve,good luck !
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    We lost our first two old dogs within 4 days of eachother and I declared no more, but a few months later our son brought in a stray, whom I couldn't bare to send to the pound in case they pts (apparently not policy unless the animal is very old or ill), so kept him but informed the pound. The owner came forward and offered to sign him over to us.

We only had him for 5 years before he got a terminal but painless cancer, so I bought a cavalier puppy, to ease the what would be slow drawn out loss. One became four and now we are down to just Teddy, who is nearly 15.

I am dithering between, having another pair (not possible with Teddy), fostering (which I see as a way to help but not get too emotionally involved),but we need a new carpet and I don't fancy having regular dogs needing toilet training (whereas, with your own it's over and done with, mainly) or do without, but the house would be very empty after over 45 years with dogs.

I'm not going to say, 'Never again' as have many who failed to keep their promise, but really don't know what will happen,though , thankfully Teddy is a young 14 so will go on for a while.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure