Where to buy a kitten?

Options

Comments

• MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,052 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes, wise words Hazyjo. People should not be encouraged to give away animals for free to random strangers.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    hazyjo wrote: »
    Only half agree with that.

100% with getting a kitten/cat from a rescue centre. But even if some random is selling kittens, I would rather they go to someone willing to pay money for them than for someone to collect them who may be using them for all sorts of nasty reasons like for dog bait :(

But giving people money for kittens rewards them for their irresponsibility.

The kitten you take may not end up somewhere nasty, but what about the next litter... and the one after that.

It’s okay saving one but that can simply encourage them to create more.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I can see both sides of Hazyjo's and Marliepanda's comments.

My last cat (kitten) was from a farm, advertised as 'free to a good home'.
    We'd been knocked back by Cats Protection (we were both working :() and RSPCA wanted us to take 2.

I took photos of our last cat to show he had had a 'good home' but the woman wasn't interested, she just wanted to get rid.

There was my kitten's litter plus another maybe a couple of weeks younger.
    We'd had him less than 2 days and had to rush him to the vet.
    He had pneumonia & cat flu and, according to the vet, was about 5 weeks old.
    He did recover - after we spent a shed-load of money on him - and did indeed have a very good home. :)

I'd guess all the other kittens died as our boy had intensive treatment and care for a couple of weeks.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    edited 22 May 2018 at 7:07AM
    Options
    DD265 wrote: »
    A lot of the mother cats taken in by rescues are little more than kittens themselves. Cats do seem to take a long time to 'grow up'. I was watching one of ours (almost 2) going mental over a bit of cardboard earlier today. :D

Our boys were 15 weeks when we adopted them from a rescue, because they'd had a hard start in life so it took a little longer for them to be ready for rehoming. I think the norm is about 12 weeks - this allows time for weaning, spaying/neutering etc.

Depending on where you are, some rescues (such as Yorkshire Cat Rescue, where our boys came from) will rehome all over the country. They've partnered up with Battersea (I think) because there's a 'shortage' of cats down south but way too many needing homes up here. You'd just have to drive up/down/across.

ours is 10 next month and still goes mental over cardbiard and paper, she def has her own mind though.

My wife wanted a lap cat, we have had her from a kitten and its only in the last year that she has started sitting on her lap
  • Pollycat
    Options
    photome wrote: »
    ours is 10 next month and still goes mental over cardbiard and paper, she def has her own mind though.

My wife wanted a lap cat, we have had her from a kitten and its only in the last year that she has started sitting on her lap
    My old boy would only receive and give affection on his terms.
    But that just made it all the more special. ;)
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    she wants something to cuddle and love and tell her problems to
    Pollycat wrote: »
    My old boy would only receive and give affection on his terms.

But that just made it all the more special. ;)

That’s an adult view - a child who wants the above probably wouldn’t be satisfied.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    That’s an adult view - a child who wants the above probably wouldn’t be satisfied.

Oh, I do realise that.
    I was just light-heartedly commenting on photome's post (which was just commenting on part of another post).
    Not giving advice to the OP at all.
    It wouldn't surprise me if the OP doesn't return to the thread.
  • pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Options
    Why wouldn't I return to the thread? I don't look on the pet threads that often as I don't have any at the moment.

I have decided to take DD to a cat's home this Saturday (just have to check when their viewing times are). I personally would rather a slightly older cat and like people have said, you can tell their personality more the older they get.

I hadn't planned on getting one yet, but if she falls in love with one, am willing to review. The home said they have to do a home visit and the like first, so it wouldn't be a case of us coming home with one on Saturday.

I have had cats before, quite a few in fact. But only one as a adult and I got her from the rescue home mentioned above. But I wasn't concerned about getting a kitten in particular.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
  • Pollycat
    Options
    Why wouldn't I return to the thread? I don't look on the pet threads that often as I don't have any at the moment.
    But it was a thread that you started - and you asked a specific question. :rotfl:
  • pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    But it was a thread that you started - and you asked a specific question. :rotfl:

I didn't realise I had to answer within a certain timescale. I had also stated that I wasn't going to get a cat/kitten straightaway.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business