Options
124»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    adeelh1987 wrote: »
    Hi

Could I get some help please?.

My wife’s grandad is an OAP, his 75-80 years old, is not working, has memory issues, is on a lot of medication, can barely drive but somehow Toyota sold him a finance car, well he though it was on Finance but it turns out it’s a hire purchase car.

As he has memory issues all he remembers is that he signed some papers, presumably that was for the car he sold them and then the hire purchase agreement, has an e signature on it, so I am guessing he clicked on a box on a tablet/laptop/computer at Toyota.

My concern is the following:

He doesn’t work so he can’t make the payments for the car, which leads me to later question what checks did Toyota do before they sold him a hire purchase car.

He can’t drive due to his memory problems and his eyesight it not great either; I refuse to get in the car with him as I fear for my life.

He cant read English, so he cant tell the difference between a finance car agreement, lease agreement, hire purchase agreement or any agreement in that matter, which also leads to me questioning did Toyota know that and just sold him the car for the sake of meeting targets.

With his agreement, I am going to voluntarily send his driving licence back to DVLA as its too dangerous for him to drive.

As he should not have been entitled for the car to start with, as he doesn’t work, is an OAP so wont get work etc, did Toyota sell him this hire purchase car knowingly these facts and how can I (with your help) get the car returned to Toyota without any financial penalties, as quite simply he cant afford to pay them as his living on a state pension – which is what £70 or something a week.

I have a copy of his agreement and a letter from the Doctors stating his memory loss and medications but dont know how to attach it here. If someone can point me in the right direction i can upload them.

Thanks

He is on £70 a week state pension, can't read English and can't drive. And yet, managed to walk into a main dealership, buy a car and drive it for a month before you realised?

Yeah right, pull the other one, it's got bells on.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,128 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    He's spending my inheritance
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    I tend to agree. Nothing adds up here.
    Obviously he lied about his income on the finance agreement as he would not have got the car had he stated his correct income.
    His mental capacity must have been such that he presented himself to the dealership as a credible customer.
    He must have passed the credit check which makes me wonder how someone with such a low income and very poor English could have much of a credit history sufficient to be accepted.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    The documents you have linked to still contain far too many personal details. Registration number of the car, VIN, your grandfather's full NHS number, the name of his GP, his Surname. You really should not be posting this information to a public forum.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    I tend to agree. Nothing adds up here.
    Obviously he lied about his income on the finance agreement as he would not have got the car had he stated his correct income.
    His mental capacity must have been such that he presented himself to the dealership as a credible customer.
    He must have passed the credit check which makes me wonder how someone with such a low income and very poor English could have much of a credit history sufficient to be accepted.

I will disagree with you on one point - last time I applied for car finance I was never asked for any salary/income figures. They input your name address etc and do a credit search.
    If you pass you get the car!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport