Recommended order of Comparison Sites

Options
Noticed in this weeks MSE email the order for checking the comparison sites suggesting you go to Moneysupermarket.com first. As MSE is owned by them and would receive commission from whoever you go with should they be allowed to influence unsuspecting users in this way? I accept that some people will go to the other sites as well, I doubt majority will as they’ll get an acceptable quote from the first comparison site.

@Martin Lewis, Not impressed by the underhand influence :(

Comments

• bigisi
    bigisi Posts: 925 Forumite
    Options
    CD11 wrote: »
    Noticed in this weeks MSE email the order for checking the comparison sites suggesting you go to Moneysupermarket.com first. As MSE is owned by them and would receive commission from whoever you go with should they be allowed to influence unsuspecting users in this way? I accept that some people will go to the other sites as well, I doubt majority will as they’ll get an acceptable quote from the first comparison site.

@Martin Lewis, Not impressed by the underhand influence :(

Firstly Martin Lewis has nothing to do with this site so you '@'ing him won't make a blind bit of difference.

Second - of course they're going to advise to go with the one they own first, they're a business, why would they push other businesses first? It's like Walmart saying 'If you want to buy bread many supermarkets sell it but go to Asda first', they're not going to advise people to use Tesco and Sainsburys are they?

If this is all you have to worry about you need to get out more I think. This may sound harsh but your faux outrage is a bit pointless.
  • UncleZen
    UncleZen Posts: 825 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well, the last one I'd go to is go-compare, as I can't stand the TV adverts.
  • fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe Moneysupermarket have broadened their horizons and are genuinely now the best place to start?
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Most of them are rubbish anyway, GoCompare and Meerkats only search brands that they own. While MoneySupermarket brings up the likes of A-Choice and GoSkippy which any person should avoid.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    CD11:
    Moneysupermarket.com first. As MSE is owned by them and would receive commission from whoever you go with should they be allowed to influence unsuspecting users in this way?

Who was first BEFORE MSE were bought by them? Have they actually changed it? The order is decided by covering most of the market as quickly as possible - so whoever captures most of the market should be first, as long as they get reasonable quotes. Do you have any idea whether any of the above is the case, or do you like throwing accusations around?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    For the life of me I can't see where it says "please only use the first option".
  • Henry46
    Henry46 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Why does it matter in which order you use them?
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    GoCompare and Meerkats only search brands that they own.

Simply not true. GoCompare don't own any insurers, The Meerkats' parent company owns 2 or 3 insurance companies, none of them household names.

Anytime I've used either I've had quotes from at least a dozen insuresr.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    For the life of me I can't see where it says "please only use the first option".

You're right, it doesn't. It's in order of getting as much of the market covered as possible - if you only want to put in the effort to use 1 site, the first one is best. If you only want to do 2 - the 1st 2 will add some more, etc. OP's accuation was about number 1 being given false prominence.
    Why does it matter in which order you use them?

If you're actually going to through all of them, it doesn't.
  • rudekid48
    rudekid48 Posts: 2,382 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Most of them are rubbish anyway, GoCompare and Meerkats only search brands that they own. While MoneySupermarket brings up the likes of A-Choice and GoSkippy which any person should avoid.

Nope.

Admiral own Confused but there are plenty of other brands on there.

Budget own CTM but there are plenty of other brands on there.

GoCompare used to be owned by Esure but no longer.

MSM are not owned by an insurer.
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure