Avis car rental euro damage scam

Options
richard-
richard- Posts: 147 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 19 April 2018 at 5:27AM in Flights, currency & car hire
So... I just arrived back from Europe and I rented a car this time with Avis instead of my usual Hertz. On return I was surprised to hear that they was charging me for a tiny dent on the bonnet. (2mm).

When I got home I checked my pictures and I noticed the 2mm dent was already on the vehicle on the pictures I had taken at collection. Also this wasn't even a new car they had gave - it had 80,000km so surely it is expected to have minor damage. Also when collecting the person handing over said sorry it's not too clean, so you don't have to have it cleaned on return (a way of hiding these small marks)!?

Now my point is, I sent an email to 2 customer service emails with no response, only via Twitter I've managed to get anywhere with Avis informing me it takes them 15 days to respond. Which is totally out of order.

Luckily I have my own excess protection which will refund the charge however I want to know who to report this to and also why should my insurance pay out for their scam.

I have read Avis has been reported and under investigation by the serious fraud office last year. I don't see why they should get away with this as it's not just me but all the poor others who haven't got any insurance that covers them.

AVIS tivat is the operator, there are lots of reviews of the same
https://g.co/kgs/akJ4ZG
Audi - Vorsprung durch Technik :D

Comments

• TW1234
    TW1234 Posts: 209 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Report to european Consumer Centre http://www.ukecc.net/index.cfm.
    Also make sure that your excess insurer is aware of the pre-existing damage and your photo.

If you feel very strongly about the matter, you could notify your insurer of a possible claim and then "fight" the rental company by raising a complaint to your credit card company. (Read up on sect75 credit card) NB there are time limits.

Avis subscribes to European Car Rental Conciliation Service (ECRCS) and you could use their procedures but I do not know if they are effective and impartial.

If that was not successful you could make a claim against the rental co via the European small claims procedures (if the country subscribes) or the Cross Border resolution process, but doing this would need you to research the processes and understand that you would have to prove your case based on relevant legal argument (not "common sense!")
    Also recognise that your insurance could be made void if you inadvertently do something that actually gives admission of any liability.

You may be best served by going to your credit card co and if unsuccessful leaving it to your own insurers.

Good luck, hopefully others will also fight when there is a belief that they have met a car rental scam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure