Help choosing a mattress!

Options
HI
I need a new mattress for me and my wife we want superking size.

I went to Bensons for Beds and tried quite a few mattresses, and I have made a shortlist of about 5 I like. Thing is I really like the higher prices mattresses the best. So £1500 to £2000 mark. They're all pillow tops, so maybe thats why i think they they're better than the ones without pillow top.

But I have discovered these beds are all exclusive to Bensons so I cant see what other shops are selling them for. There's no competition this way driving prices down, this way of selling would mean prices can go up! So I get the impression I will be way overpaying for these mattresses due to the brand, and the way they market and sell these. Like I think Sealy would sell the same mattresses elsewhere but under another name, and so I wonder if I could get them cheaper elsewhere but how would I know.

But then I did not think any of the lower cost beds were as good. But maybe its because a lot of them did not have pillow tops. So maybe if I add a separate pillow top they may feel the same. But how can I know without bringing in a pillow top and trying it out?

So I am just not sure what to do now. If I buy one online I have not tried it, what if its not as good as the one below. If I buy one I tried in the store I like maybe I have overpaid because maybe there is an equivalent I could get online, but how could I know.

Then do I get one with a pillow top because they were comfy, or should I get one without, but then add my own pillow top (then I can always change it without changing the mattress). But then how can I choose the right mattress that would be as comfy as the ones I like above when I do add a pillow top?

I'm really not sure what to do! Its a lot of money and I dont sleep well so I really want to have a great mattress but I dont want to be ripped off, and I feel like thats what the mattress industry is doing. but please correct me if I am wrong. If Bensons for Beds £1500 to £2000 mattress prices really are a good deal for what you get then I will do it.

Any advice? Especially about pillow top, maybe I can make my own equiavalent bed to these below using my own pillow top but saving lots of money.

These are the mattresses I like in Bensons:
Sealy Monte Carlo: £1899 (very soft so feels luxurious - has pillow top)
Sealy Maldives: £1549 (bit firmer than above, still soft - has pillow top)
Staples Grandeur: £1449 (bit firmer than the Sealys, still nice - has pillow top)
Staples Splendour: £1049 (not as good as the above at all, but price is much better - has pillow top)
iGel Orion: £1399 (has a memory foam firmness to it)
Sensafoam Memory Active 9000: £949 (feels a bit more artifical than the above, which felt really natural, but price is reasonable for the feel)

I also went to Dreams and their Flaxbys were lovely, but fa more expensive. The Sealys were nicer and cheaper.

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's very difficult and I totally understand. We bought ViSpring and haven't looked back. In fact, we have changed all our mattresses (including in our holiday lets) to ViSpring. Part of the reason was actually visiting them - they aren't too far away from us. Seeing first hand what the mattress contains, how it is made makes you appreciate the materials used and the costs involved.

In terms of quality, you can find out as much as possible about the mattresses you are interested in but there isn't an easy way to compare. Sometimes you just have to make your decision based on what's important - and that is usually comfort.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,527 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If I had £1500+ to spend I wouldn't go near Bensons for Beds.

Thats top end, so find a top end retailer.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can get a Casper or Simba mattress for much less online.

Both have a 100 day no quibble return policy if you hate it
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • cranford
    cranford Posts: 797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have not yet used them yet to buy a mattress but I have always thought that the Uk independant bed maker Joihn Ryan gives good advice and information about mattress makers and who belongs to who.
    https://johnryanbydesign.co.uk/understanding-beds/
  • naf123
    naf123 Posts: 1,696 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ikea is very cheap and very good. I think some of theirs are best buy at Which? - cant hurt to look into it and try it.
  • another_casualty
    another_casualty Posts: 6,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 April 2018 at 9:24AM
    Options
    You imho, have a very good budget there .
    There are obviously many things to consider here .
    When I was up to my eyeballs in debt until approx 18 months ago, I was struggling with a mattress I had for years. Long story short, when I moved I made sure I got a new mattress at the earliest opportunity.
    I was so out of touch with what's needed to get the ideal bed setup ,and had a fairly good budget also. I went to Beales , who do top quality stuff but do have sales on a regular basis .
    I got a mattress in a sale for £500 iirc reduced from £850. King size
    I asked to try the firmest one in the store due to me putting on a lot of weight due to health issues. It felt great . When sleeping on it for a couple of weeks , it felt very well made but too stiff .
    What I did then , was buy a mattress topper and a mattress protector in Home sense ( another sale :)) . That did the job . Love the setup now.

My advice : look around . As you have a good budget , don't avoid John Lewis etc. Just try a few mattresses before disclosing your max budget. Do make sure to get a good quality mattress topper and protector . The topper and protector I got from home sense are made by sealy. Cannot remember the name of mattress I got .
    Anyway, hope this helps .
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    daveyjp wrote: »
    If I had £1500+ to spend I wouldn't go near Bensons for Beds.

Thats top end, so find a top end retailer.
    Me neither. I went to John Lewis (admittedly not top end) but got excellent advice and was very happy with my mattress. Spending a lot on a mattress makes sense when you consider how much time you spend in bed, your quality of sleep and the support a good mattress offers your back. It's said to last for 25 years but for reasons of hygiene alone, I can see myself changing it sooner.

Personally I'd never buy a memory foam mattress. Vi-sprung mattresses are lovely but they do cost a fortune.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • infocom
    infocom Posts: 47 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 19 April 2018 at 2:00PM
    Options
    I dont want memory foam like casper and that anymore. I was going to, but when I tried a pocket sprung I realised how much better it felt for me. I have had memory foam from IKEa for 10 years, I cant believe I have not bought a new mattress yet.

I think what I have realised is the ones I like are pillow top, hence they feel so nice compared to the mattresses without pillow top. But the cost is so much more... I think the prices must be inflated because the comfort the pillow top adds.

So I think I will probably get a mattress without pillow top, so a normal pocket sprung, and then buy a separate comfy/cosy/soft/thick mattress topper. That way I would hope that the cost would save hundreds of pounds. We can also replace the topper when it sags like many people say the built in ones do, and we could buy a flippable mattress too, which you cant with the topper built in.

The only problem is we cant try this setup out. I can go to the shop and try pocket spring mattresses with no topper, and they wont feel as nice as the expensive ones with the toppers, so I cant compare. And I wont have a selection of mattress toppers to put on these mattresses myself to get the combination that is as comfy as the expensive ones.

So in effect I am taking a chance. There is a good chance I will end up with a bed not as nice as the expensive ones, even though in theory I should be able to do with a separate mattress and topper if I can find the right combination.

I have not yet used them yet to buy a mattress but I have always thought that the Uk independant bed maker Joihn Ryan gives good advice and information about mattress makers and who belongs to who.
    https://johnryanbydesign.co.uk/understanding-beds/
    I have read a lot of their posts on their website. They look nice. To be honest they seem quite arrogant on their replies, every one I have read they slate the other manufacturers people are mentioning, and I think it quite arrogant they think theirs are always much better. Nevertheless I might contact them for advice and am interested in their mattresses, they do sound like they know what they are talking about.
  • Vociscoasioa
    Options
    I need a new mattress again..I thought I had bought a fairly decent one but 2 years on and my sleep is affected as it's just not that comfy. I have a Ikea bed but not Ikea mattress so next mattress will be from there...'operation mattress' is on..I'm working a extra shift at work on Monday to help pay for it.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    £1500 to £2000 seems a huge amount of money. We got a kingsize, from Bensons, for under £1000 and it's superb. Memory foam top etc.
    Have you checked out other retailers? I wouldn't want to buy off the internet, even with a 100 day return policy. It was a struggle for 2 delivery people to get out old mattress out and the new one in, so I wouldn't fancy doing just that element myself. There's also the hassle of returning, and finding somewhere to store the old mattress until you are sure the new one is OK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure