looking for a specific doctor's letter if anyone had any ideas?

Options

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Why not ask the doctor who did it and won to sign a letter for you?
  • jasonwatkins
    jasonwatkins Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    sheramber wrote: »
    Why not ask the doctor who did it and won to sign a letter for you?

That would be a great idea but she's based in Sheffield and i'm in Essex. Most doctors would want to at least see you once to assess you first before doing anything like that.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    halogen wrote: »
    I'm glad that works for you and you have found your motivation. According to the Dietician and nurse I have lost 1st over the past 6 months... I can't tell on my body, my clothes don't fit any different, no one has noticed, my joint pain is not any better and I'm not having more fun in life. So for me 'seeing the scales drop' is not motivating.

Did your joint pain suddenly start when you gained 1 stone? I doubt it , it came on gradually like your weight gain did

I too have lost a stone since Christmas. Only one of my friends has noticed and that because I hadn’t seen her since before Christmas. I’ve not had to buy new clothes , all that’s happened is I no longer have to open a button once I’ve eaten :)

That one stone is massive motivation for me. The first stone is gone, I’ve done it, I’ve made a start, the next stone will be the one that people notice and clothes will need to be bought. I’ve given myself till September as I’ve a wedding to go to then

I’ve just ordered a cheap pedometer so I have a daily challenge to help me keep going 10000 steps is a pound of weight

I find giving myself little goals is what helps me. Dry January was the start, gave up alcohol, lent I gave up crisps and biscuits, I’ve just carried it on
  • halogen
    halogen Posts: 426 Forumite
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    That one stone is massive motivation for me. The first stone is gone, I’ve done it, I’ve made a start, the next stone will be the one that people notice and clothes will need to be bought. I’ve given myself till September as I’ve a wedding to go to then

I’ve just ordered a cheap pedometer so I have a daily challenge to help me keep going 10000 steps is a pound of weight

I find giving myself little goals is what helps me. Dry January was the start, gave up alcohol, lent I gave up crisps and biscuits, I’ve just carried it on

And like I said if that's what motivates you then great. I've just not found it to be motivating for me. If feels like so much effort for so little reward and I would have to lose weight faster than the laws of physics allow for simply the numbers dropping to be a motivater for me. I need results quickly.
    But we are all different people, so if changes on the scale motivate you then keep going:-)
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    And like I said if that's what motivates you then great. I've just not found it to be motivating for me. If feels like so much effort for so little reward and I would have to lose weight faster than the laws of physics allow for simply the numbers dropping to be a motivater for me. I need results quickly.
    But we are all different people, so if changes on the scale motivate you then keep going:-)

Oh I remember you now, I replied to another post of yours a few weeks back

Life is an effort, you have to put some effort in to get the results you want, there is no magic wand Im afraid
  • halogen
    halogen Posts: 426 Forumite
    Options
    I was simply making the point that we are all motivated by different things.
  • jasonwatkins
    jasonwatkins Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I was simply making the point that we are all motivated by different things.

And I can certainly attest to that. It's ok saying some things should motivate you but as i've said throughout this thread, for some of us it's really not that black and white.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Jojo_the_Tightfisted Posts: 27,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 4 May 2018 at 6:53PM
    Options
    I suspect the reasons your GP is refusing are;

a. You don't have much motivation/aren't recognising that your initial weight loss is an achievement, as you've completely turned around from putting weight on - so they don't want to see you chuck money away and get even more disheartened.

b. That you might leave it all until the last 15-20 weeks and try to crash diet to make the full amount.

c. They have a fundamental objection to putting money in the hands of the bookies when it's your health at stake.

d. Losing that amount of weight so quickly, combined with your feelings about your weight loss so far, could lead you to being even more unhappy. The excess skin could keep you looking obese, just with sunken cheeks and lots of issues with chafing/infections, the restrictions for so long could leave you feeling lousy, people still might not notice or care, you might not see anything but a fat person looking out of the mirror in any case and, quite frankly, I had as much, if not more, joint pain when I was 8 stone as I did at 22 stone.

e. They'd far rather see you lose 1lb or less a week, do it healthily and feel more positive about your achievements (so you don't sabotage yourself further down the line) and keep it off when there isn't any money involved.

If you're deciding you'll only do it if there's money to be won, if you put your hand in your pocket and risk hard earned cash, if you can get somebody else to say it's OK, you're putting extra barriers up to stop you. You could do it now for free, by using the stake money to buy fruits and vegetables, trips to the swimming pool, to have proper supportive footwear, to go and do things that don't require eating. But you're choosing to talk down what you have achieved (who care if nobody makes a fuss of you? What did you expect, a gold star and certificate? If you want that sort of thing, go to WeightWatchers/Slimming World) and put more conditions in the way of something you are already proving you are capable of doing.

There's a reason why the bets won't be available in the future. It's because they're a rubbish idea that can damage people's health, both physically and emotionally.

Bookmakers are not your friend. They are there to separate you from your money and encourage others to do the same. A nice fluff piece in a newspaper gets people who would never normally gamble into their grip - and once you've started putting money on things, had a go at a fixed terminal odds machine, maybe won a few pound, they've got you. For life.

The House always wins.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Jojo I think you are mixing up the OP and halogen.

Halogen people aren't suddenly going to start complimenting you on weight loss unless it's very obvious you've lost weight and that you want to lose it, weight being a touchy subject for lots of people. A stone is obviously a very good start, keep that one off and work on the next one.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Anoneemoose
    Anoneemoose Posts: 2,258 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Diets don’t work long term for the majority, so it’s hardly surprising you’ve not kept it off before.

https://youtu.be/jn0Ygp7pMbA
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport