looking for a specific doctor's letter if anyone had any ideas?

Options
jasonwatkins
jasonwatkins Posts: 2,420 Forumite
Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
edited 18 April 2018 at 4:01PM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
i'm currently trying to obtain a doctor's letter from my GP but i'm having problems due to her refusal to sign off on two particular clauses.

the letter in question would enable me to start a particular dieting program and it needs to initially confirm some basic details like name, weight, height e.t.c.. but it also needs to confirm that a sensible, calorie controlled diet won't be detrimental to my health (which it won't be..) and that the weight loss will be achieved without resorting to surgery (which it also won't be).

these are the two particular clauses my GP isn't willing to sign off on so i'm wondering if there's any way I could obtain such a letter form another medical professional ?

i'm currently waiting on a call from NHS 111 for further advice as well.

I'd obviously be willing to play ball as far as submitting to any medical examinations or health checks necessary and also pay for the letter as well, but i'm at a loss for ideas at the moment so if anyone had any ideas i'd certainly be grateful. thanks.

Comments

• BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What is the dieting program? Unless it's a well evidenced one, a GP is not going to open themselves up to liability for anything going wrong.

Do you mean that you can lose weight without resorting to surgery? You've said it won't be achieved?

NHS 111 are not going to advise on private services, which is what you're asking for here.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    The wording of the second point seems a little odd. Do you just need a letter saying you have not been referred for bariatric surgery?

I can see a doctor being reluctant to state flat out that something won't be bad for you. Could a wording along the lines of 'x does not have any medical diagnoses which preclude a sensible diet' be an acceptable option?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • jasonwatkins
    Options
    the wording has to be quite specific as far as i'm told - it literally has to be "jason is suitable for a calorie controlled diet which will not present any medical problems and which can be achieved without resorting to surgery" - basically that I will start, and follow, the diet program and not immediately go out and book myself in for a gastric band.

The weight loss will have to be 100% "natural" and achieved through healthy eating and exercise.

But you are both right though because my GP did say that there was simply no way of knowing whether or not something would be detrimental to my health even though, logically, you'd think that a diet would actually be beneficial to my health.
  • Cyclizine
    Cyclizine Posts: 110 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why exactly do you need this very specific letter? It's a very odd request. If I were your GP I suspect I'd be deploying the standard template: "This is not a service I am commissioned to provide and not one I wish to provide privately." NHS111 won't be any help, they're for acute medial problems.
  • jasonwatkins
    Options
    I did make the point to NHS 111 why I was calling and said that if they felt it wasn't an appropriate call to please tell me and I'd end it but they were happy to go through and assign someone to call me back, who did.

She told me that my only real option is to find another GP or find some way of getting it done privately which in itself might actually be more than I can afford.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    What is the diet program? Is it an extreme one that may be harmful to your mental health as well as your physical health?

If you are motivated to lose weight and need support have you asked your GP about a referral to a dietician?
  • jasonwatkins
    Options
    To be fair, when I read this thread back, "Diet Program" is probably a poor choice of words because the diet itself would be a normal, calorie controlled diet with a sensible, and appropriate, level of exercise where the aim would be to lose the generally accepted "standard" of 2lbs a week.

There would be nothing 'extreme' about the diet in any capacity.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    the wording has to be quite specific as far as i'm told - it literally has to be "jason is suitable for a calorie controlled diet which will not present any medical problems and which can be achieved without resorting to surgery" - basically that I will start, and follow, the diet program and not immediately go out and book myself in for a gastric band.
    the diet itself would be a normal, calorie controlled diet with a sensible, and appropriate, level of exercise where the aim would be to lose the generally accepted "standard" of 2lbs a week.

There would be nothing 'extreme' about the diet in any capacity.

Are you doing this as part of a TV programme?

I can't see any dietitian needing you to sign such a clause.

If it is a dietitian, find another one to work with.
  • jasonwatkins
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Are you doing this as part of a TV programme?

I can't see any dietitian needing you to sign such a clause.

If it is a dietitian, find another one to work with.

No, it's not part of a tv program.

I'm not really willing to go in to any further detail about it in that respect because it will take the thread way off topic.
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Options
    I thought it was for a TV programme too. Or else as part of a research group for a product which will be used in their advertising.

It just all feels like a commercial venture of some sort to me, and on that basis I don't think an NHS GP is likely to be very motivated to help. If so, OP will need to get a private letter at his own cost or if this is commercial ask the commercial partner to pay for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure