We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

New Blue Badge anti-fraud measures

Options

Comments

• supersavershal
    Options
    jofminx wrote: »
    well i am a badge holder and i cannot work so the extra cost of parking really helps me, i live on £240 a month so parking costs can really eat in to my money so i think it should be free as a lot of disabled people cannot work. i really appreciate being able to park nearer because it means i can get out on my own with out extra assistance. so many places are now charging bb holders and i think they are forgetting that a lot of us only get limited money. just wanted to defend disabled people needing free parking.
    I still believe disabled people should have the right to park close to entrances but they should pay to park.Its not just disabled people that are short of money and where do you draw the line, let unemployed park free, let pensioners park free, let single parents park free.Pay your parking and have pride that you are paying your way.You have the space to make life easier you cant have it all.I have very little spare money at all yet I have to pay to park my car in my work carpark, guess where that is- the local hospital so before I earn any money I pay £10 parking, the disabled also pay there and quite rightly so.How can you imply disabled people have more right to free parking than any other low income family.Maybe I would agree to free parking if disabled peoples benefits were reduced accordingly.Stop whinging its not only disabled people have a hard time, I pay full whack for everything parking, council tax, school dinners, school trips, I am entitled to nothing and have pride I pay my way.If you dont want to pay the parking shop on the internet you obviously have access as you posted here.If the disabled get free parking all other low income families will have to also get free parking.The spaces are essential to allow close access, free parking is not.
    And I thought disabled people want to be treated as everyone else, well everyone else pays parking so pay up and be like everyone else.
  • Richard_P
    Options
    I am disabled and have a BB. I am also on the high rate of DLA for both mobility and care.

I have no problem with paying for parking if I have to but I object to abled bodied people using the spaces that have been saved for us disabled people!

If a person takes a spaces that they are not entitled to then their selfishness causes pain and discomfort to another person. I cannot walk without the aid of a stick, tri-walker depending on how I feel and sometimes have to use a wheelchair.

Sadly people just don't think - they decide that they will just park at the easiest place as they will only be for a minute or two while they use the sachpoit, grab a sandwich or buy a newspaper. Unfortunately, their lack of thought causes another less able person a great deal of pain.
  • TOBRUK
    TOBRUK Posts: 2,343 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know what others feel here but I think this has now become a thread where people are having a go at people who have Blue Badges and almost despise the fact that they do. This thread was meant to be about a new form of Blue Badge to tackle fraud and theft of these Blue Badges:
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    What's it about?

The Blue Badge Scheme for certain groups of Disabled drivers means parking a car is both free and easier to do as they're given the right to park in areas that are normally restricted.

Yet in the past the scheme's been open to fraud and misuse. Now it's trying to tackle that though by changing the badge's design. It now includes a hologram to make it harder to copy and a serial number telling you whether the badge holder is male or female (although sadly that won't have made theft any harder).

What other changes have been made?

The scheme's also been expanded to include children under two with medical conditions who need to stay near to a vehicle and people with disabilities affecting their upper bodies who don't drive adapted cars meaning they shouldn't have to struggle with parking meters or automatic car park barriers.

I know people have strong views especially regarding free parking for Blue Badge holders however, areas of free parking for Blue Badge holders are down to local authorities and any views on this matter perhaps should be directed at the authorities. Blue Badge holders are NOT RESPONSIBLE for local authority decisions.

Many here have attacked those who hold these badges and are asking why should they have free parking when other low income/people on benefit etc don't - please take up this matter with the authorities and don't take it out on badge holders - it's not their fault.

Others have implied that people receiving DLA benefits have it all ... there are reasons why people receive these benefits and for the majority they would gladly be without these benefits and swap it for good health!

There are some circumstances beyond a person's control that lead to having to receive such benefits. I for one had my life turned upside down over 7 years ago when I lost my health, I was already disabled - I also lost my job through ill health which I loved and my life as I knew it. I have no social life and hardly leave the house and days when it is hard to cope and do the simplest of things - as I live alone my car is a lifeline for when I am able to go out and having a blue badge helps me park close to where I need to go. I would gladly give up all my benefits and BB for my life back!;)
  • dsb66
    dsb66 Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    We all know that most of the people in a disabled bay displaying a blue badge are using one they got for a parent or grand parent. NOW you try and park in a baby and toddler space and see how many people have a go at you!
    They say there is no discrimination in this country! When its ok to take the space from the disabled person, but not a mother with Kids that can walk!!!
    Well thats my rant for the day. Thank you.
    YES i have a spinal injury and can't walk more than a few yards. SO use the blue badge scheme.
  • shopndrop
    shopndrop Posts: 3,548 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sr2 wrote: »
    I really worry when i park the car on my own in case a traffic warden stops me. Will they believe me if I tell them that I have just dropped my mum off?

SR2

Why do you need to park in a disabled space if you are dropping the disabled person off. Surely you could park in any parking space and leave the disabled bay for someone who has to walk from the car park.
  • supersavershal
    Options
    TOBRUK wrote: »
    I don't know what others feel here but I think this has now become a thread where people are having a go at people who have Blue Badges and almost despise the fact that they do. This thread was meant to be about a new form of Blue Badge to tackle fraud and theft of these Blue Badges:

I know people have strong views especially regarding free parking for Blue Badge holders however, areas of free parking for Blue Badge holders are down to local authorities and any views on this matter perhaps should be directed at the authorities. Blue Badge holders are NOT RESPONSIBLE for local authority decisions.

Many here have attacked those who hold these badges and are asking why should they have free parking when other low income/people on benefit etc don't - please take up this matter with the authorities and don't take it out on badge holders - it's not their fault.

Others have implied that people receiving DLA benefits have it all ... there are reasons why people receive these benefits and for the majority they would gladly be without these benefits and swap it for good health!

There are some circumstances beyond a person's control that lead to having to receive such benefits. I for one had my life turned upside down over 7 years ago when I lost my health, I was already disabled - I also lost my job through ill health which I loved and my life as I knew it. I have no social life and hardly leave the house and days when it is hard to cope and do the simplest of things - as I live alone my car is a lifeline for when I am able to go out and having a blue badge helps me park close to where I need to go. I would gladly give up all my benefits and BB for my life back!;)
    Whooa hold on Tobruck I think you should review post 21 which you posted you were discussing free parking there just because you dont agree with what people are saying you cant ask them to not post their opinion.No one is attacking blue badge holders the majority off people posting have agreed that disabled bays are essential.This is an open discussion forum and everyone has the right to their opinion, youv had yours and you are disabled so your opinion is hardly objective and unbiased is it? No one would wish to have your disability and speaking for myself I wouldnt want your blue badge because I dont need it but I would like blue badge holders to pay for parking.No I wont take it up with local authority because to be honest who would really be that bothered there is more to life.Join in the healthy discussion and let people have their opinions.All over MSE we discuss decisions made by government, banks and other institutions just because we dont agree with them we dont tell people to take it up with them.To be quite honest I have come to MSE with quite strong opinions which have sometimes been changed when the healthy discussion has made me see another side to things.We are not attacking anyone that isnt what MSE is about we are merely discussing our take on the subject right or wrong we are entitled.
  • supersavershal
    Options
    Yes park in a parent and toddler bay and I will rant at you,
    YOU WANT MY SPACE YOU CAN HAVE MY KIDS!!!!!
    And you can pay my car parking fee too.
  • vix2000
    vix2000 Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    God help you if you ever get a disabling illness. Talking about whinging, if you object to paying for school dinners and school trips, don't have kids.
    I still believe disabled people should have the right to park close to entrances but they should pay to park.Its not just disabled people that are short of money and where do you draw the line, let unemployed park free, let pensioners park free, let single parents park free.Pay your parking and have pride that you are paying your way.You have the space to make life easier you cant have it all.I have very little spare money at all yet I have to pay to park my car in my work carpark, guess where that is- the local hospital so before I earn any money I pay £10 parking, the disabled also pay there and quite rightly so.How can you imply disabled people have more right to free parking than any other low income family.Maybe I would agree to free parking if disabled peoples benefits were reduced accordingly.Stop whinging its not only disabled people have a hard time, I pay full whack for everything parking, council tax, school dinners, school trips, I am entitled to nothing and have pride I pay my way.If you dont want to pay the parking shop on the internet you obviously have access as you posted here.If the disabled get free parking all other low income families will have to also get free parking.The spaces are essential to allow close access, free parking is not.
    And I thought disabled people want to be treated as everyone else, well everyone else pays parking so pay up and be like everyone else.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,914 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Just because someone is disabled it doessent mean their opinion is not objective & unbiased.
    Im not getting drawn into this argument so I'll say no more.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • vix2000
    vix2000 Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    To return to the point of the thread - I don't think its a good idea to have more information displayed. As far as I'm aware, police can find out if a cars taxed, insured, mot'd by punching in the reg. They can also get personal info from dvla frm your license. surely something like this could be used for the bb scheme by wardens/attendants? it still amazes me that you can still get a ticket for failure to display a tax disc when its all computerised now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport