Help to Save NOW OPEN: when it's worth it, and when it isn't!

Options

Comments

• AirlieBird
    AirlieBird Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    Options
    stoozie1 wrote: »
    I am saying that tax credits in the year of receipt of the bonus will reduce, as it will count as 'other income'. My withdrawal rate is 41%, YMMV :)

The Help to Save and Lifetime ISA bonuses are disregarded income for the purposes of calculating income for tax credits and universal benefit.
    Did you really mean to put loose?
    Lose: no longer possess, not to retain, unable to find
    Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,725 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Dandytf wrote: »
    I'm confused my account is open 50 paid in which I can view-+25 bonus added.
    Withdrawals are online-where is the withdraw option?
    E.g. You'll get 50% of your highest balance between 1 April 2018 and 31 March 2020 - for your first tax-free bonus. Even if you make withdrawals.

Your first bonus will be paid into your UK bank account from 1 April 2020.

Have you set up your bank details? I think you need to do that before withdrawal options are available.

Re the bonus affecting your tax credits? surely not. It's tax free for a start, so I would no more include the bonus in my "income" calculations for tax credits, than I would include the income from tax credits themselves.
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I hope my recently increased wtc's aren't affected
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • Dandytf
    Options
    ProDave wrote: »
    Have you set up your bank details? I think you need to do that before withdrawal options are available.

Re the bonus affecting your tax credits? surely not. It's tax free for a start, so I would no more include the bonus in my "income" calculations for tax credits, than I would include the income from tax credits themselves.

Thanks for the setting up bank details which I did read though I was going to use mobile nor online banking to setup 50 per month.
    I'll retry and post later today though I would have expected a withdraw link which could have then advised or asked to setup bank details.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • Dandytf
    edited 15 April 2018 at 12:12PM
    Options
    Update -I did setup my bank details for debit card payment on acc opening-
    Your UK bank account details
    We'll pay any money you withdraw or bonuses you earn into this UK bank account.
    Ill setup up SO via mobile banking today £50 per month 28th each month
    Can 1st SO be from 28th April or as I made 1st debit card payment does that mean SO from 28th may
    Answered in help2save account page
    Next payment can be made from 1st May which means I can choose either 28th April or 28th May for next months payment.
    Think I'll call the helpline tomorrow for withdrawal terms and link-suspecting close account link may offer withdrawals though not sure-I don't plant to make any withdrawals at all though as it's new I would like to see where the link is anyway.
    Since called the helpline-I've does have some simple options though closed until tomorrow to speak to an advisor.
  • chiefnoodle
    chiefnoodle Posts: 132 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Zanderman wrote: »
    The government website clearly states these are for people getting tax credits.

What makes you think they are open for everyone?

Sorry I see my wording was misleading. I certainly didn't mean there were no eligibility criteria. Obviously you have to be over 18, British citizen, in receipt of TCs. All I meant was that while officially only in a trial phase now, it seems that anyone can open them, i.e. not only if you got an invitation, but again obviously only if you're eligible. Sorry if I caused confusion!
  • Dandytf
    Options
    It does mention it started Jan2018 though will be rolled out in stages until Oct2018
    I hope my new account is eligible-I'm not convinced though it does appear to be open.
  • cheesetoast
    cheesetoast Posts: 258 Forumite
    Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I had an invitation to open one on 9th April, as a banner at the top of my "Manage Tax Credits" account on gov.uk. Opened one for me and Mrs Toast the same day :)
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry I see my wording was misleading. I certainly didn't mean there were no eligibility criteria. Obviously you have to be over 18, British citizen, in receipt of TCs.

You don't have to be a British citizen - they are open to 'UK residents'.
  • chiefnoodle
    chiefnoodle Posts: 132 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had an invitation to open one on 9th April, as a banner at the top of my "Manage Tax Credits" account on gov.uk. Opened one for me and Mrs Toast the same day :)

Well I think that can put the scam theory safely to rest
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport