Electric turned off inside flat but meter still running

Options

Comments

• Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Matelodave, please don't hate me but myriad is an adjective and spelt with a y. You would not say "a many of", would you? Leaving now.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Every time someone quotes a post of mine, or if I edit a post my apostrophes etc. all change to random letters and numbers...do you know why this is please? I have written things such as !!!8216;isnt!!!8217; instead to try and avoid it happening again, but it is annoying as it then makes the post hard to understand

Apparently, it is an issue with "smart punctuation" (whatever that is) on Apple devices, Maggie. It affects this site only so I imagine the problem lies with MSE. You can either turn off this function, re-write your posts or stop using the apostrophe, it seems.
  • BooJewels
    BooJewels Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I think that Apple devices try to insert the fancier smart quotes rather than a simple apostrophe - it would appear that this site doesn't parse the code properly.
    The code for them starts with an ampersand and a hash tag, but the site seems to swap those for loads of exclamation marks instead, stopping it from working - I can't even type the code in manually.
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    Apparently, it is an issue with "smart punctuation" (whatever that is) on Apple devices, Maggie. It affects this site only so I imagine the problem lies with MSE. You can either turn off this function, re-write your posts or stop using the apostrophe, it seems.

correct switch off smart punctuation.
    Simple feature which adds you get it punctuation i.e. .,! Etc to typed sentences.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • mbmonty
    mbmonty Posts: 149 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Nothing to do with Apple, I get them too, I think they come when you go to advanced editing.

I have found that you can edit them out and put the "" or ' back in
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    D_M_E wrote: »
    Malc - from what MaggieSimpson has written, she has been paying Eon bills for the wrong meter and I would think, from what's been described, that she will have a large rebate due when it's all sorted out.

MaggieSimson - you need to photo the meter card for the correct meter - this should show the start reading - and send Eon a copy and they should eventually give you a correct bill.

Since you are the original first and only occupant the reading on the card should be your start reading.

The only problem here is that, being on your own, you probably don't use much energy but the people in the flat whose meter you were paying for are likely to use a lot more than you and could well get a big unexpected bill when it's all sorted.

EDIT - if the cards are all mixed up, then make sure you match the card to the correct meter using the serial number printed on the card.
    Had this problem myself a few years ago and it took over a year to sort out - not with Eon, though.
    D_M_E wrote: »
    Card start at zero and the builders likely using a bit of energy before you moved in.

Your current average consumption of 3KwH per day gives you something to work on - don't accept anything less than 3KwH multiplied by the number of days since you moved in, especially since we are now moving out of the cold period - maybe 3.5KwH for past consumption but 3 going forward.

Wish my bill was only 3KwH per day at this time.

You could well be right D_M_E. Once all's sorted, we'll rebill to the correct meter and readings. At this point, any credit balance can be refunded.

Excellent advice about the photos. These always help to move things along.

The readings noted on the card attached to the meter will be the ones when the meter was first installed. As you say, the builders/developers may have used electricity before MaggieSimpson took over. As this is a smart meter, we'll be able to download a reading for this day so won't need to estimate.

Hope this is of interest D_M_E.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi all! Yes my case has now been passed onto the crossed meter team. The start read on the card is 0 and the date the card was written was from late year. I know contractors etc would have been using electricity before I moved in. I told my neighbour of the issue and that I would show them to how to find out what meter belongs to them but they did not seem bothered. I can knock and ask for their start read, although it still wont be 100 percent accurate as I moved in 2 weeks after them.

Funnily enough, the meter that is mine is not registered on the national database anywhere...so I dont know how the neighbour was able to register their electric in the first place. I wish my memory was not so crap as when I first moved in there was some sort of issue with registering the meter (the one that was assigned to me but is not actually mine) , so I had to wait a couple of weeks before I got my dual fuel discount and my gas and electric accounts were merged.

Either way, I am glad progress is being made but I hope If a meter read close to when I moved in cannot be found, that my bill will not be over estimated. I have been monitoring my use (at the correct meter lol) and I average around 3kWh per day. I might ring Eon again for advice about my bill. Do I pay it and ask for a refund once it is sorted (I will be most definitely due a refund:eek:) or just wait until I get a revised bill? Luckily I queried this after a month and not a year!

P.s thank you all once again for your continued advice

Hello MaggieSimpson and it's good this is now with our Crossed Meters team. They'll move things forward.

As above, the reading on the card will be from when the meter was first installed and will include electricity used by the builder/developer. Don't worry, as this is a smart meter, we'll be able to download a reading for when you took over responsibility. This will keep things accurate and avoid the use of estimates.

Updating the National Database is part of the process of putting this right and our Crossed Meters team will do this.

Many thanks for your help with this MaggieSimpson.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Options
    matelodave wrote: »
    I'm guessing that Maggie may well have used her washing machine or some other stuff so advising her that 3-4kwh a day as a limit is unrealistic.

As said, we are now moving into the slightly warmer period, clocks have gone forward and there are a miriad of other things that would suggest that a daily average of 4kw is a bit low for Feb through March. She'll be using less electricity now the lights aren't on so much, possibly a bit less telly and maybe various other stuff is getting used less.

There is a meter that's been recording her consumption - it wont have been recording anyone elses except for perhaps a few kwh for the builder. Now it's been identified then it's going to be pretty close to what her actual consumption has been.
    As it's a smart meter they should be able to track back to the very day she moved in and thus know what the reading was then. That's the big advantage of a smart meter, you dont need to guess anymore

She doesn't need to get stroppy as some on here have suggested. There's no point in getting aggressive as it wont get you very far and in most cases annoys people so they become less inclined to help. They should have proper records so it should be easy to sort out

It's not the Energy suppliers fault that they've been given the wrong info and neither is it Maggie's. She was told which meter was hers and given an IHD to be able to mointor it. The fault lies with the builder and housing association for not checking it properly in the first place.

Spot on matelodave. As smart meters are involved, we'll be able to pull out accurate readings for the relevant dates.

Malc
  • mbmonty
    mbmonty Posts: 149 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hey Malc

Are you assuming the Smart Meter always connectivity and you were able to ping it or is data stored in the Dumb meter?

Sorry I can't call them smart because they are not smart at all!
    Options
    mbmonty wrote: »
    Hey Malc

Are you assuming the Smart Meter always connectivity and you were able to ping it or is data stored in the Dumb meter?

Sorry I can't call them smart because they are not smart at all!

Morning mbmonty.

As we installed MaggieSimpson's meters from new and she hasn't changed supplier, they'll be working as smart meters. As such, although we usually take readings monthly, we can request them at any time. We can also look back to see what they were on a given date in the past. Readings are stored on the meter so, even if there are temporary connectivity issues, we'll still be able to download them once these issues have been fixed.

Malc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure