PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

New purchase and restrictive covenant

Options

Comments

• leon103
    leon103 Posts: 732 Forumite
    Options
    Spoke to sellers who are happy to get building consent. Seller believes a completion certificate was issued and she believes was in a box of paperwork that her ex took when she bought him out.
    :p
  • leon103
    Options
    despite my above post things aren't going so well. despite what the seller said the reply from their solicitor is that they won't being applying for retrospective planning control so we have replied saying without it we aren't proceed. disappointment is an understatement
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,015 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Are you only wanting this particular house otherwise you won't move? Are you in a chain?

Patience could be the key here. If you won't proceed without the certificate, there are plenty of others (myself included) who won't either. This one may come back to you after a few fruitless months have passed. Let the vendor know you are still interested if they can get the certificate.

A few months from now you could be buying it at a further reduced price if you play your cards right.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• leon103
    Options
    we have a sale agreed for our house. no chain on that end. we had a great deal on the sale hence why we are pushing for this hiuse. we live in a rural location and there is nothing else that ticks all of our boxes within budget.

The seller text this morning and we pointed out that we won't move without it and she is adamant that there is one and her ex destroyed all paper work prior to leaving. she said she didn't tell her solicitor that she wouldn't get the certificate. although she has since come back saying that our solicitor isn't concerned. argh I hate liars.

nevertheless they are ploughing through the list of work that they agreed to complete. painters and electrician there today.
  • betsie
    betsie Posts: 434 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Can!!!8217;t you contact building control at your local council to see if it was signed off. They will have all the details and if it is signed off it!!!8217;s no big deal to get a new cert. if it isn!!!8217;t signed off but checked upto a certain point they can advise further - it maybe that it was only something minor left to complete to get it signed off.
  • leon103
    Options
    not really my role, it should be them doing it, but I will check now. it came up on local searches that there isn't a cert so I guess the local authority don't have it
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    betsie wrote: »
    Can't you contact building control at your local council to see if it was signed off. They will have all the details and if it is signed off it's no big deal to get a new cert. if it isn't signed off but checked upto a certain point they can advise further - it maybe that it was only something minor left to complete to get it signed off.
    Bear in mind that contacting the council will invalidate the existing indemnity insurance.
  • leon103
    Options
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Bear in mind that contacting the council will invalidate the existing indemnity insurance.

Yeah I know. it's worthless to us anyway.

The woman I needed wasn't in until monday
  • leon103
    Options
    davidmcn wrote: »

On that point. how does the insurance company and/or the seller find out if someone has enquired. I doubt the council would him out and take action. sounds like there is one person doing all of building control
  • Badger50
    Badger50 Posts: 123 Forumite
    edited 27 April 2018 at 2:07PM
    Options
    leon103 wrote: »
    Are the successor in title those that own properties on the estate?
    Yes, but in practice only near neighbours would be able to enforce the covenant, and since they haven't objected in 10 years it's extremely unlikely they would succeed in getting the house removed or even get damages. If one or more of them had objected when the house was at the planning stage they might well have been able to get an injunction to stop it - but it's too late for them now. That's why you can insure against it so cheaply - the risk is very low indeed.

The lack Building Regs. is a much bigger concern.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure