Orange Sim Card

Options
stressedoutmum
stressedoutmum Posts: 1,194 Forumite
My friend gave me her old mobile for my son which I finally got around to looking it. Its a Samsung?? (Little circular glass window on front) but when I switch it on it says enter PUK code. Its old and got no instructions. If I get a new sim card will it work or is there a code for this one or am I cheaper buying a new PAYG. Thanks

Comments

• PinkPig
    PinkPig Posts: 257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Asking for the PUK code means that the SIM is blocked - ie the person using the phone has entered the wrong PIN number a few times. To reset this you need to get a PUK code. These are sometimes supplied with the phone, but usually you need to phone a number and give the phone number of the phone.

If you are getting a new SIM card then that isn't a problem, since the PUK code refers to the SIM card and not to the phone. However, the phone might still be locked (to a specific network's SIM cards). You can either check if it is or not by borrowing a different SIM card from someone else and trying it, or if you can find out the actual model it might be possible to unlock it online.

If you're looking for an O2 SIM card then you might want to wait and look out for promotions - there are pretty regularly free offers around the internet.
  • MrGreen
    MrGreen Posts: 583 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It seems like the sim card that is in the phone has been blocked (cos the pin code has been entered incorrectly three times), take out the sim card that is in there and try another sim that you will be using.
    try this if it is OK then good, If the sim does not work then post your phone details on the phone unlocking forum.

mg
    Nearly debt free
  • stressedoutmum
    stressedoutmum Posts: 1,194 Forumite
    Options
    Hi have tried the SIM card in my phone and it still asks for PUK code. Should I just bin this one.
  • Thenotsowyzewun
    Options
    That simcard is not broken, just blocked. The way to get it unblocked (so you can use it) is contact o2, or Vodafone (or whoever's brandname is on the card) and ask them for the code. You may not be able to do this since they might want personal details of the original owner (i.e. not you).

If you'd like to know which network's right for you, post again specifying how long your calls normally are (or if they always vary) whether you call mobiles very rarely and always for short calls, or calls mobiles constantly, also perhaps whether you send many more SMS (or MMS even) messages than you make calls, whether you use GPRS at all, etc - the different network's offers suit different people, and chosing the right one will save you a LOT of money (unless of course, you never make calls, in which case it doesn't matter (and you might aswell go on whichever network your friends are on so they can call you cheaply).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure