IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Scs law lbc by ukpc

Options

Comments

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1nquAbNvGtZVo-UMC2d4qRUYE8gO_gyMj

http://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/1526333277573C8EwAkT

Both those links work.

And as you say, that copy of the contract that they have supplied with the Healthcare NHS Trust expired on 31 March 2015 with no mention of continuation.
  • Honey-Dee
    Honey-Dee Posts: 83 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    KeithP
    Thank you.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    And as you say, that copy of the contract that they have supplied with the Healthcare NHS Trust expired on 31 March 2015 with no mention of continuation.
    There's an 'in perpetuity' clause in the 2015 Witness Statement.

I don't see the authority of the contract principal for UKPC to conduct court proceedings in their own right. BPA Code of Practice requirement.

http://www.britishparking.co.uk/write/Documents/AOS/AOS_Code_of_Practice_January_2018.pdf
    7.2. If the operator wishes to take legal action on any outstanding parking charges, they must ensure that they have the written authority of the landowner (or their appointed agent) prior to legal action being taken.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    There's an 'in perpetuity' clause in the 2015 Witness Statement.

No there's a reference to that in the statement: there's no such clause in the contract.

In principle, if the services continue to be provided without cancellation, then it may now be deemed a rolling contract terminable on notice, but it certainly isn't fixed in perpetuity and neither would NHS England permit such a scheme.

If the o/p is correct and the wardens are incentivised, then the scheme of payment is key - see link below. An "eat what you kill" scheme is not permitted.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/nhs-patient-visitor-and-staff-car-parking-principles/nhs-patient-visitor-and-staff-car-parking-principles

Fwiw I sympathize with the o/p. I'm at SMH a decent amount and those guys are vicious, to the point I've photographed bays to show there are no markings on occasion.
  • Honey-Dee
    Options
    There's an 'in perpetuity' clause in the 2015 Witness Statement
    Good morning and thank you. This is my point, although it stated "in perpetuity" it also stated or until terminated and the contract did have a termination date. However, statement letter come after termination date!
    So is the contract still valid? Thanks
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,039 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Johnersh wrote: »

If the o/p is correct and the wardens are incentivised, then the scheme of payment is key - see link below. An "eat what you kill" scheme is not permitted.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/nhs-patient-visitor-and-staff-car-parking-principles/nhs-patient-visitor-and-staff-car-parking-principles

Have a gander at this:

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/ukpc-announce-new-bonus-scheme.html
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Interesting. The gov.uk website appeared to go further - it would bite if the revenues solely went to the PPC.

I suspect they may not, simply because of high turnover/profit at hospital sites, but worth asking the question.
  • Honey-Dee
    Options
    Hi all,
    I HAVE DRAFTED A REPLY, PLS SEE IT BELOW. IS THIS OK TO SEND?

Dear Mr ****

Thank you for your reply to my email.
    I have gone through the evidence provided by your client thoroughly and found that:

1) there is no letter from the landowner granting your client permission/authority to proceed with legal action in this matter.

In the witness statement your client provided, clause 10 of that statement stated that "the operator is authorised to pursue outstanding parking charges in accordance with the BPA AOS code of conduct".

As you and your client are well aware, the BPA AOS Code of conduct clause 7.2 stated: "If the operator wishes to take legal action on any outstanding parking charges, they must ensure that they have the written authority of the landowner (or their appointed agent) prior to legal action being taken".

In this particular case, as I have stated before, your client has no written authority to proceed with legal action against the keeper of the vehicle.

2) the other matter is the issue of the contract your client provided in the evidence, the contract lapsed on the 31st of March 2015. You did include a witness statement stating the contract is "in perpetuity until terminated" and It was terminated on the 31st of March 2015.

Many thanks

IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I OUGHT TO ADD?
    Thank you all.
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not "Many thanks" for heaven's sake.

It should really be a "Dear Sir....................Yours faithfully" letter.

Does the contract give them authority to take legal action? If not, put that in as well.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Guys_Dad wrote: »
    Not "Many thanks" for heaven's sake.

It should really be a "Dear Sir....................Yours faithfully" letter.

Does the contract give them authority to take legal action? If not, put that in as well.

+1

It is the contract with the landowner that needs to include the authority to take legal action, not 'a letter from the landowner'.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport