Police ehicle Stops

Options

Comments

• tenchy
    tenchy Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ectophile wrote: »
    When it comes to insurance, having a copy of your insurance certificate handy could save you a long walk home.

If the police think that your car is uninsured, they can seize it on the spot. A tow truck will be called to take it away, and you will be left working out how to get home.

If you can produce an insurance certificate, then it's up to the police to show that it's false. If they can't, then they are not allowed to seize that car.

A good point. I remember reading about the police in North Wales seizing a pregnant woman's car and leaving her to walk home at night, some considerable distance. And I think it turned out the car was insured anyway.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,876 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    George21 wrote: »
    A friend of mine (who has since moved abroad) once told me never to give my documents during a police stop. I asked them why, but never got a clear answer. Is there a reason for this? I was under the impression that they may scrutinize my insurance documents or something? But is that also the case with my driving license. Can any someone shed light on this?, it's been bugging me for a while.

Half suspect he's one of those freeman of the land nutcases who bang on about "legal names", "admiralty courts" and other such garbage and thinks shouting "do not consent" exempts him from the law. There's a clip on youtube filmed by one of these guys who was stopped by the police and he's held up for over 30 minutes (and ends up giving the documentation requested anyway) because he thinks certain phrases give him a get out of jail free card
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    tenchy wrote: »
    So Plod stops you on the way to the airport for your annual two-week holiday in Ibiza. You have seven days to produce whatever documents he specifies. What's the approach now? Yes, ok Mr Plod I'll go to the station (likely to be a long way from your house and only manned part time), or sorry Mr Plod, I'm out of the country for two weeks, so no-can-do?

One of my siblings was stopped for speeding (albeit around 15 years ago) and was due to go away for work. I took all their documentation to the station, paid the FPN etc. So I don't think you specifically have to produce the documents, just as long as they're produced.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    One of my siblings was stopped for speeding (albeit around 15 years ago) and was due to go away for work. I took all their documentation to the station, paid the FPN etc. So I don't think you specifically have to produce the documents, just as long as they're produced.

I always thought the holder had to produce the licence.
  • Indout96
    Indout96 Posts: 2,344 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I was pulled last February, sat in police car and gave my name. He already had all details up on the computer in the car, insurance, licence details, ever the fact I had never been stopped before all from my reg number.
    Not sure how he would have checked if I had been driving my wifes car, maybe would have had to produce manually then.
    Totally Debt Free & Mortgage Free Semi retired and happy
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Indout96 wrote: »
    I was pulled last February, sat in police car and gave my name. He already had all details up on the computer in the car, insurance licence details, ever the fact I had never been stopped before all from my reg number.
    Not sure how he would have checked if I had been driving my wifes car, maybe would have had to produce manually then.

Exactly the same way.
  • GothicStirling
    GothicStirling Posts: 1,157 Forumite
    Options
    Completely unscientific, but having watched a few Traffic Cop shows, a simple search of the DVLA database and the police know if your car is Taxed, MOTed and Insured?
  • tenchy
    tenchy Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Indout96 wrote: »
    I was pulled last February, sat in police car and gave my name. He already had all details up on the computer in the car, insurance, licence details, ever the fact I had never been stopped before all from my reg number.

You mean car licence details - not driving licence details? Not sure how they would do the latter until they knew who you were.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,876 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You mean car licence details - not driving licence details? Not sure how they would do the latter until they knew who you were.

You'd assume most people give a genuine name so they can find you easily enough, it's only the ones who give false names that start causing issues
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Car owned by a male, male and female on the insurance, male is driving so check the male against the driving licence database before the car is stopped. Not 100% guarentee but works more times than not.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure