Police ehicle Stops

Options
George21
George21 Posts: 3 Newbie
edited 6 April 2018 at 4:14AM in Motoring
A friend of mine (who has since moved abroad) once told me never to give my documents during a police stop. I asked them why, but never got a clear answer. Is there a reason for this? I was under the impression that they may scrutinize my insurance documents or something? But is that also the case with my driving license. Can any someone shed light on this?, it's been bugging me for a while.

Comments

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm guessing that if one is wrong then the car gets impounded straight away. Not showing means you get a producer and can drive the car home.

However that was in days gone by before everything was computerised. Doesn't work too well now as they have direct access to the DVLA and insurance records and also can phone insurance companies etc. for clarification.
  • IanMSpencer
    IanMSpencer Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think that this is one of those Chinese Whispers things, probably based on the principle that it gives the police something to work with, check and so on. The reality is that if you are stopped by the police, they will do a PNC check so can get hold of your documents anyway, so by being uncooperative you are likely to fail the attitude test, which is that if you keep a friendly and cooperative demeanour then the police are less inclined to go formal on you and you are more likely to get the telling off rather than the paperwork.

What I would say is always be careful about what you say. If asked "What speed you were going?" and you know you were speeding, don't lie and say 29mph, but don't admit your speed, just say something like "Too fast." then you are being cooperative, you are acknowledging that they have stopped you with good reason but not giving them confirmation.
  • esmerobbo
    esmerobbo Posts: 4,979 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It is actually an offence not to produce them when asked by a police officer, however the usual way to deal with it is to give you a producer to produce them within 7 days at a police station.

Of course these days they can normally find out everything they want to even before they stop you.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,692 Forumite
    Options
    Do they still ask for paper documents? They can't rely on them being accurate; it used to be a fairly common scam to buy insurance, get the certificate and then cancel the policy, thus the certificate makes them look insured when in reality it isn't.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    esmerobbo wrote: »
    It is actually an offence not to produce them when asked by a police officer, however the usual way to deal with it is to give you a producer to produce them within 7 days at a police station.

Good luck with finding one of those that is still open. :(

I'm surprised that they don't ask you to go to a Post Office, like the Banks do now that they are all closed.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • esmerobbo
    esmerobbo Posts: 4,979 Forumite
    Options
    facade wrote: »
    Good luck with finding one of those that is still open. :(

Indeed I had to get a prohibition lifted once on a Saturday, it took me most of the day searching for a police station open with a police officer on duty rather then a civilian receptionist.
  • tenchy
    tenchy Posts: 486 Forumite
    Options
    esmerobbo wrote: »

Of course these days they can normally find out everything they want to even before they stop you.

So Plod stops you on the way to the airport for your annual two-week holiday in Ibiza. You have seven days to produce whatever documents he specifies. What's the approach now? Yes, ok Mr Plod I'll go to the station (likely to be a long way from your house and only manned part time), or sorry Mr Plod, I'm out of the country for two weeks, so no-can-do?
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    Options
    tenchy wrote: »
    So Plod stops you on the way to the airport for your annual two-week holiday in Ibiza. You have seven days to produce whatever documents he specifies. What's the approach now? Yes, ok Mr Plod I'll go to the station (likely to be a long way from your house and only manned part time), or sorry Mr Plod, I'm out of the country for two weeks, so no-can-do?

Then the offence of failing to produce is complete. Well technically you commit the crime if you don't have the documents on you. Producing within the time period is a statutory defence to the offence of failing to produce. If you can't produce within the 7 days, then you lose the right to the statutory defence.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,763 Forumite
    Options
    tenchy wrote: »

HORT1's are rarely used these days with the info being available from easily checkable databases so the scenario you have suggested is unlikely. However, in that case it is unlikely that anyone will sacrifice their vacation so you will find yourself having to explain the non-production of your documents upon your return.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,349 Forumite
    Options
    When it comes to insurance, having a copy of your insurance certificate handy could save you a long walk home.

If the police think that your car is uninsured, they can seize it on the spot. A tow truck will be called to take it away, and you will be left working out how to get home.

If you can produce an insurance certificate, then it's up to the police to show that it's false. If they can't, then they are not allowed to seize that car.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure