Best smart TV

Options
gfplux
gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
We have a Samsung 46inch that is Now 10 years old.
We also watch NETFLIX using a Google dongle.

It is our intention to replace the TV in the next 12 months. We would keep the new TV for a similar time, about 10 years or even more.
The present TV has a large bezel surround and I see that present day TV’s hardly have a Bezel so the new TV could perhaps be up to 52/55 inch.

Anyone have recommendations and is there something coming along in the next 12 months worth waiting for.

Actually when I say smart TV I am not actually sure what I mean other than I would not need a dongle as the TV would be connected to our WiFi.

Thank you.
There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.

Comments

• House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 31 March 2018 at 6:21PM
    Options
    Two price levels, and the Samsung UE 50MU6120 is up at number 1 or 2 in the top 100 on Kagoo.Absolutely brilliant 4k smart TV at around £450.Go and see it in store to compare The shops usually display it in 4k blueray so try and see it in normal HD. Its still pretty good compared to the others on HD only.
    Up another level to the OLEDS which have the best colours and blacks of the lot nowadays now Plasmas have gone.
    Just go and view the LG Oled 55C7V smart 4k HDR in a showroom to see what these are like and its cheap at £1500 ish with a 5 year guarantee
    The bigger screen OLEDs have the same quality picture but are thousands more especially the 65 inch Sony A1 at around £3600 which I would say is the best TV on the market at the moment and who use the LG screens.
    LG are the only ones who make Oled screens
  • gfplux
    Options
    Two price levels, and the Samsung UE 50MU6120 is up at number 1 or 2 in the top 100 on Kagoo.Absolutely brilliant 4k smart TV at around £450.Go and see it in store to compare The shops usually display it in 4k blueray so try and see it in normal HD. Its still pretty good compared to the others on HD only.
    Up another level to the OLEDS which have the best colours and blacks of the lot nowadays now Plasmas have gone.
    Just go and view the LG Oled 55C7V smart 4k HDR in a showroom to see what these are like and its cheap at £1500 ish with a 5 year guarantee
    The bigger screen OLEDs have the same quality picture but are thousands more especially the 65 inch Sony A1 at around £3600 which I would say is the best TV on the market at the moment and who use the LG screens.
    LG are the only ones who make Oled screens

Thank you House Martin.
    Is OLED the coming thing. You say LG are the only ones at present, will other makers be adopting OLED.
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Options
    gfplux wrote: »
    Thank you House Martin.
    Is OLED the coming thing. You say LG are the only ones at present, will other makers be adopting OLED.

LG are currently the only large screen OLED panel manufacture but supply all the major brands apart from Samsung with OLED panels.
  • gfplux
    Options
    I have a Samsung 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV. It has great picture quality and I personally love the remote size.

Is there an App Store so that you can load lots of other apps. If so where can Inlook at what apps are available.
    Thank you.
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,560 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I bought a 55" OLED a few months ago. The price is down a little since then although still expensive. John Lewis & Richer Sounds offer better guarantees. Picture quality is great and it weighs about a third of the previous one. Plenty of apps to download and some pre installed. Remote is good. Sound is mediocre as is often the case on modern TVs.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,924 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The problem with smart TVs over that length of ownership is that the manufacturer no longer supports them and many of the apps will go out of date and become pretty useless. I have a couple of 2 year old smart LGs and for much of the time I use a Firestick.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    gfplux wrote: »
    We would keep the new TV for a similar time, about 10 years or even more.
    I wouldn't be planning ahead to keep a modern TV for ten years, they simply aren't designed to last that long.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,511 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I wouldn't be planning ahead to keep a modern TV for ten years, they simply aren't designed to last that long.

Maybe not plan for longevity ...but I've got 2 LCDs which are over 8 years old and a plasma which is more than 7 years since purchase -all still going strong.:)
    As to SMART functions - MUCH easier to use something like a NOW TV box (available for peanuts without passes) combined with a cheap USB wireless k/board! Spent ages trying to get BT Sport to work on my s-i-l's smart Sony at the weekend -kept having to painstakingly type email addy and p/word in - over and over......
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    Maybe not plan for longevity ...but I've got 2 LCDs which are over 8 years old and a plasma which is more than 7 years since purchase -all still going strong.:)
    I was referring to brand new TVs not being expected to last ten years, not one's which are already almost that old.
    The new sets are utilising components which are almost guaranteed to fail around the time the five year warranty runs out.

The SMART functions are only supported by the manufacturer for around two years.

The term "built-in obsolescence" comes to mind;)
  • mobileron
    mobileron Posts: 1,218 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Please tell us how the components fail after 5 years,do all tv do this.
    Another fake news info.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport