20/20 Vision (repaying a debt to my home and myself)

Options

Comments

• doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 9 July 2018 at 11:28AM
    Options
    The roofer has just sealed all the points of entry and squirrel proofed my loft :T

The electrician has just called and he will be coming on Thursday morning to quote for chewed through electric cabling ;)

The plasterer who said he would call back on Saturday has not done so. :mad:

Plasterers are holding up my new kitchen and the much dreamed of oven so I am going to go with an IK£A plasterer so the kitchen is not delayed, but I will continue searching for a plasterer I can work with on other jobs in the house ;)

I cancelled my beauty college appointments to accommodate the roofer. I thought the house needed work doing more than I do, but actually that is debatable! :rotfl:

So I have a free afternoon now. :)

Going to take big items to the CS, a bank reconciliation, update my bullet journal, get some phone credit and buy lots of fruit to encourage healthy eating.

Did I make it to the gym? Did I heck.

Have a lovely day MSE folk :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,856 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Really DIA you have come on in leaps and bounds! :j :j
    Facing up to what is a problem and finding solutions to them is brilliant... a lot of people can't even acknowledge that the problem is there to start with.

Hope your squirrel problem is solved now and the college can fit you in for a much deserved pamper. X
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    Chrystal wrote: »
    Really DIA you have come on in leaps and bounds! :j :j
    Facing up to what is a problem and finding solutions to them is brilliant... a lot of people can't even acknowledge that the problem is there to start with.

Hope your squirrel problem is solved now and the college can fit you in for a much deserved pamper. X
    Thank you for the encouragement Chrystal.
    I have a new mani/pedi appt for Thursday now too :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,153 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You're doing really well - and you have to take advantage of tradesmen when they turn up, so moving your appointment was probably sensible.

You may find that the Ikea plasterer is available for freelance work, so if he/she does a good job you can ask for contact details to quote for the rest.

Must chase my builder about the leak in the ensuite. I think I know the problem is to do with water from the shower if I don't check the curtain, but it happens because they haven't sealed the bath panel properly (and probably didn't put marine board under the bath as no one seems to and yet that's where you're mostly likely to get leaks). If I'm right, then a 3" shower screen at the end of the bath should solve it, but they need to take the side off the bath to check. Preferably when I'm not here to see the mess.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,398 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Also think that plasterer may be helpful to do other jobs.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • lonelyrat
    lonelyrat Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Yay for the roofer and you being squirrel proofed. Not so yay for the plasterer... Probably a solid idea to go with IKEA for now to keep your tempo up. I have no experience with tradesmen myself but am sure greenbee and beanielou are right that they may be available for freelance stuff.

Enjoy your mani/pedi tomorrow :) Sounds lovely!
    Total Debt : ?? / ??
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    greenbee wrote: »
    You're doing really well - and you have to take advantage of tradesmen when they turn up, so moving your appointment was probably sensible.
    You may find that the Ikea plasterer is available for freelance work, so if he/she does a good job you can ask for contact details to quote for the rest.
    Thanks Greenbee. I agree re plasterer I will look into that. Good luck with your bathroom :)
    lonelyrat wrote: »
    Probably a solid idea to go with IKEA for now to keep your tempo up. I have no experience with tradesmen myself but am sure greenbee and beanielou are right that they may be available for freelance stuff.
    Enjoy your mani/pedi tomorrow :) Sounds lovely!
    Thanks Lonelyrat. Greenbee and Beanie have a point. Fingers crossed ;)

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    I have an electrician due in the morning. I will need more than one quote but fixing the faulty wiring in the loft is my next priority. It is dangerous right now and a fire risk. :( I will sleep better when this work is done.

I will get the electrician to quote for a light in the loft too. Pest control have said get a long life bulb and leave it on as squirrels like dark homes and this will act as a deterrent. Eventually the facias and sofits will be replaced and nothing will be able to enter, but that is an expensive job :eek: I won’t be able to do until 2019

I also want a security light at the back of the house again, this is a safety issue.:o

I have noticed the house is much cleaner thanks to the Dys0n. That was definitely an excellent purchase and I feel much more on top of the house generally. It is still a mess but it is a dust/dirt and cobweb free mess. Progress. :)

My next small improvement that should make a big difference is to buy a bathroom cabinet and put it in the loo in the dead space there. This should get all my toiletries in one place. This is long overdue :o

In DIA personal improvements. I have my rebooked mani/pedi at the training college tomorrow after I work a half day in the first job. I work in the evening at my second job so I save fares as this is near second job. Looking forward to some much needed maintenance :)

I hope you are all having a good day and enjoying the football :)

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,153 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well done on getting all the quotes. And you're right about the small improvements... getting the blinds, some coat hooks and a shelf up the last week has made a HUGE difference. The blinds have been particularly welcome over the last few days as they've helped keep the temperature in the house down.

I must put a new 5 amp plug on the lamp in the sitting room - the electrician cut the 13amp one off for me ages ago... I need some more table lamps too.

I've ordered some cupboards for the dining room, and I'm hoping that there will be some OK wardrobes in the same place. Pine, but I can paint them...
  • doingitanyway
    edited 13 July 2018 at 9:11PM
    Options
    The electricians quote came through and it is high. :eek: Feels too much for what they are doing so I need to look for other quotes for the job.

I had a pedicure so my feet look and feel nice. I did not have time for a manicure as well. Also although it was at the training college I thought the treatments were pricey. That said I have spent so long being frugal most things a look pricey :o

Finally my friend has agreed to do a car boot sale with me We are doing one on Sunday. I hope I make some money as I want to boost my emergency fund. There is £300 in the fund but the target is £1,000 ;)

It will be nice to get rid of clutter and spend the day with my friend too.

I was in the office today but I packed breakfast, lunch and snacks so I only spent 99p on a cheap coffee. I had a voucher for a free coffee and cake so I used that up too.

Welcome to the weekend everyone :)

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills