NOW OPEN: the MSE Forum 'Ask An Expert' event. This time we'd like your questions on TRAVEL & HOLIDAY DEALS. Post by Wed and deals expert MSE Oli will answer as many as he can.

I wish to have a TV without a licence...

in TV MoneySaving
51 replies 7.6K views

Replies

• RichardD1970RichardD1970 Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I ve seen the first series of The Grand Tour, from the friend who brings it round on a dongle so I ve not bothered messing around begging a free 30 days from amazon as of yet.
    Can only do it once I would have thought .
    You have to wait for the full new series to load and become available so I m about ready for the second series now. I was nt aware of any illegality in sharing Netflix outside the same household TBH.
    Does nt the CEO say we "expect " it to be shared within the same household ?
    If I m not allowed to access it I l dump it then.Theres nothing on it which really interests me.
    On further reading on account sharing it seems that Netflix say , in the CEO s words "I don`t think we are obsessed with enforcing compliance with a one household per account constraint , we see account sharing as a positive thing ".
    This is not in the same league as nicking the £150 a year from the BBC. Netflix are not bothered because they hope I will become so keen on it I ll buy it..no chance of that.Once I ve watched all the Stewart Lees Comedy Vehicle once again I m done just about on there.
    Nice try Richard but you ve failed again !

No, the terms and conditions state what they state. That they don't actively enforce them does not legitimize the misuse of the service.

And the first point? Or are you just ignoring that??? :rotfl:
  • edited 31 March 2018 at 7:28PM
    House_MartinHouse_Martin
    1.5K Posts
    edited 31 March 2018 at 7:28PM
    No, the terms and conditions state what they state. That they don't actively enforce them does not legitimize the misuse of the service.

And the first point? Or are you just ignoring that??? :rotfl:
    I m fully legal, I dont think you have bothered to check Netflix T and C s have you,
    https://www.trustatec.co.uk/blog/share-netflix-account-account-sharing-allowed-legal/
    Not sure what you are on about really on point one. Like you too probably I have "senior moments " of memory re Amazon and their free 30 days trial.
    That reminds me to cancel hi res Spotify and their £9.99 cheap 3 months , it runs out soon.
    I ve since fallen out a lot with Amazon now that they are absolutely infested with counterfeit goods for sale like Ebay is. Can t trust bloody greedy American companies.
    Hope you re still sat immobile on your electric pushbike Richard. I m older than you I bet and I m doing 50 mile runs on my push bike..You need to get more proper exercise

Still trying to work out what Societys Child is on about..Suspect its an anti Jeremy Clarkson comment, or Jimmy Savile !
  • Nick_CNick_C Forumite
    7.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    So I see a certain FM is up to his old tricks of editing his posts several hours later when he realises he has said something he shouldn't have done.

I see nothing wrong with someone choosing to save money by not watching live TV or using the BBC iPlayer. It's money-saving. That's what this site is all about.

Using someone else's credentials to access a service that you should be paying for is far worse in my view. Is it fraud or merely theft? I'm not sure. But it's certainly hypocrisy.
  • Nick_C wrote: »
    So I see a certain FM is up to his old tricks of editing his posts several hours later when he realises he has said something he shouldn't have done.

I see nothing wrong with someone choosing to save money by not watching live TV or using the BBC iPlayer. It's money-saving. That's what this site is all about.

Using someone else's credentials to access a service that you should be paying for is far worse in my view. Is it fraud or merely theft? I'm not sure. But it's certainly hypocrisy.
    Certainly neither fraud or theft. You need to access the link I provided,digest it, then edit your last post and take out those two stupid words you decided to misuse re account sharing Netflix
  • societys_childsocietys_child Forumite
    7.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Certainly neither fraud or theft. You need to access the link I provided,digest it, then edit your last post and take out those two stupid words you decided to misuse re account sharing Netflix
    Are you the TVL employee who gains access, by pretending to a meter reader?
    3.8K Posts
    Forumite
    I m fully legal, I dont think you have bothered to check Netflix T and C s have you,
    https://www.trustatec.co.uk/blog/share-netflix-account-account-sharing-allowed-legal/
    Not sure what you are on about really on point one. Like you too probably I have "senior moments " of memory re Amazon and their free 30 days trial.
    That reminds me to cancel hi res Spotify and their £9.99 cheap 3 months , it runs out soon.
    I ve since fallen out a lot with Amazon now that they are absolutely infested with counterfeit goods for sale like Ebay is. Can t trust bloody greedy American companies.
    Hope you re still sat immobile on your electric pushbike Richard. I m older than you I bet and I m doing 50 mile runs on my push bike..You need to get more proper exercise

Still trying to work out what Societys Child is on about..Suspect its an anti Jeremy Clarkson comment, or Jimmy Savile !

What? You mean this bit
    The member who created the Netflix account and whose payment method is charged the membership fees (the “Account Owner”) has access to and control of the Netflix Account (…). To maintain control of the account and prevent unauthorised access (…), the account holder must always have control over the Netflix-compatible devices used to access the service and must not use the password or account details associated with the selected payment method share with third parties.

From the article you liked to,
    Ultimately, it means that it is not allowed to share the password or account details with third parties. And further: The use is permitted only in private. So it is quite possible to share your account with family members if they are in the same household.

Yes, it is possible to circumvent the rules if you are that way inclined (as with most things) but a man(?) of your moral standing wouldn't do that would you?

Lol, nice ad hominem attack. Full marks sir. :rotfl:

Quite what the "facts" you seem to have trawled up on me have to do with anything in this thread is beyond me. But I do hope you had fun reading my back history of posts. :rotfl:
  • edited 1 April 2018 at 12:44AM
    House_MartinHouse_Martin
    1.5K Posts
    edited 1 April 2018 at 12:44AM
    What? You mean this bit

From the article you liked to,

Yes, it is possible to circumvent the rules if you are that way inclined (as with most things) but a man(?) of your moral standing wouldn't do that would you?

Lol, nice ad hominem attack. Full marks sir. :rotfl:

Quite what the "facts" you seem to have trawled up on me have to do with anything in this thread is beyond me. But I do hope you had fun reading my back history of posts. :rotfl:
    I have nt been reading up your old posts honest !, I just remember you getting very irate about a post I made about how boring electric bikes are to use on the public road
    .i ve been busy watching another rerun of the brilliant Dads Army just now..only the BBC can make quality clean comedies like that. Sergeant Wilson declared an "honourable " is a classic.
    You LLF people can t be viewing that tho lol
    More Netflix rules here , my son gives me access to his premium account although I realise this is a US link
    https://www.quora.com/Can-I-share-my-Netflix-account-with-family-in-a-different-home
    3.8K Posts
    Forumite
    LOL, I very rarely get "very irate" about anything, especially on an anonymous forum where people can be whoever or whatever they want. But nice cherry picking of the parts of the posts to respond to (again).

Can't stop and chat anymore now, off for a 10 mile run.
  • LOL, I very rarely get "very irate" about anything, especially on an anonymous forum where people can be whoever or whatever they want. But nice cherry picking of the parts of the posts to respond to (again).

Can't stop and chat anymore now, off for a 10 mile run.
    I definitely have nt been looking at your posts..they are too boring I m afraid.
    I m surprised you can t remember the Cycling and Public Transport thread from I think it was last year. I just made a pretty harmless comment that the electric bike I used a couple of times was the worst form of transport I ve ever used and you reacted quite strongly.
    Yeah I do a lot of short 10 milers virtually every day with a good long one with a local cycling group when the weather is suitable. We did 63 miles the other Saturday with a long break for lunch ..Can slipstream with a group tho so its alot easier than it seems
    3.8K Posts
    Forumite
    What? you mean this reply

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=73105414&postcount=17

to your usual diatribe against anyone or anything which you disagree with where you said,
    Anyone who has not got a medical condition, and rides around on a hulking heavy e bike has given up on life and is a "snowflake "

Oh, and as I said in that post, it's running I do, I only cycle (if you call it that on an E-bike ;) ) for commuting.

And now it's your son's netflix, not a friend's??

You really should try to keep your story straight. :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy Price Cap change

Martin Lewis on what it means for you

MSE News

Best £1 you've ever spent?

Share your most impressive bargains

MSE Forum