Cheapest laptop I could buy for general use?

Options
Hi guys, I am looking for a new laptop. I currently have a samsung RV511 laptop and it is an intel core i3, windows 7. I am looking to spend maybe £100 or less on a laptop for general use. Would this be possible if I bought a refurbished one?

Comments

• that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    Options
    good new laptop for £100... and I'm looking for a brick of gold for £10 :)

Just put in a SSD into the current one, It will probably be faster than any sub £300 one
  • MarkAlexander18
    Options
    that wrote: »
    good new laptop for £100... and I'm looking for a brick of gold for £10 :)

Just put in a SSD into the current one, It will probably be faster than any sub £300 one

Problem is, I can't afford a good laptop right now. I am looking at buying a much better one later in the year as I have a chunk of money coming my way. For now I am looking at just replacing my current one as the battery needs replacing and parts of it have broken off. It's a bit of a mess now. What kind of price would you say is more likely for a similar type of laptop?
  • joeypesci
    joeypesci Posts: 671 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What is general use? Internet and e-mail? If so just check out Ebuyer for the cheapest one's they sell. But as you're probably already aware a cheap laptop will last about a year to two before being stupidly slow.

An SSD would help but will be more than £100 so that idea is out the window.

You'll struggle to get anything decent for the price you want. Unless you look on Gumtree or Ebay.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    joeypesci wrote: »
    What is general use? Internet and e-mail? If so just check out Ebuyer for the cheapest one's they sell. But as you're probably already aware a cheap laptop will last about a year to two before being stupidly slow.

An SSD would help but will be more than £100 so that idea is out the window.

You'll struggle to get anything decent for the price you want. Unless you look on Gumtree or Ebay.

Cheapest one will no doubt be one or the 'orrible 16/32/64 crapdrive nonsense and not worth picking up! And non swappable.

In my view.
    There are refurbs around £150, but you would also need to addin anew battery if you want to use it like that as they will come with a you are lucky to get 30 mins battery.
  • marcarm
    marcarm Posts: 1,205 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Chromebooks are down to £200 at Argos at the mo, no idea if this would suit your needs?
  • that
    edited 29 March 2018 at 4:52PM
    Options
    good, reliable second hand is dell e6410, e6420, e6430 - higher the number the better the laptop. Fairly robust, should be able to get a 4gb one for under £100, but they are not light weight. probably very simlay spec to your current one

Toshiba r930 are the next level up and start around 150... if you look long and hard on ebay. Yours with an ssd would probably still be faster than one of these. They are light and quite decent. Dell e6230 are also not bad, but think a bit heavier, thinner, but need special thinner than standard hdd

ssd has come down in price a bit an you can get a 120gb for about £40 and a 256 for about £55 from ebuyer

Probably very similar spec to current one
  • telemarks
    telemarks Posts: 255 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 29 March 2018 at 4:57PM
    Options
    For now I am looking at just replacing my current one as the battery needs replacing and parts of it have broken off
    You can pick up replacement "compatible" batteries for most laptops for £10+ on eBay if you are not to fussy. Might get you through for a few months?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Laptop-Battery-for-Samsung-R480-RV408-RV511-RV515-RF410-RF510-NP-R418-AA-PB9NS6B/273133180648
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    For now I am looking at just replacing my current one as the battery needs replacing and parts of it have broken off. It's a bit of a mess now.
    If its plugged in, does it work? What parts "have broken off"?
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • that
    edited 29 March 2018 at 5:05PM
    Options
    I would suggest a desktop. Although not portable, you are going the get the best value for money from them.

Much harder to break bits off too :)

Idea 1: me, if I were in your situation I would live with a tatty laptop. Nothing looses value as fast as technology.

Idea 2:I would but in the 120GB ssd, remove the DVD and get a carousel fro ebay £10 and out your old hdd in that
  • joeypesci
    joeypesci Posts: 671 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    telemarks wrote: »
    You can pick up replacement "compatible" batteries for most laptops for £10+ on eBay if you are not to fussy. Might get you through for a few months?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Laptop-Battery-for-Samsung-R480-RV408-RV511-RV515-RF410-RF510-NP-R418-AA-PB9NS6B/273133180648

I wouldn't trust any battery from Ebay. Especially as that battery is coming from China. No doubt a knock off that could burst into flames at any moment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure