Forum updates

Options

Comments

• Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    Options
    Pyxis wrote: »
    That's weird.

Was that because of being on a different skin before?

No idea, I mentioned it on another thread when the spam button made a comeback and it seems there were quite a number of us that didn't get it.
    I thought it might appear when the stretchy got kicked into touch but still no sign of the button.

Not saying that I would have used it very much as the current wave of spamming bothers me about as much as it bothers the forum team.
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    No idea, I mentioned it on another thread when the spam button made a comeback and it seems there were quite a number of us that didn't get it.
    I thought it might appear when the stretchy got kicked into touch but still no sign of the button.

Not saying that I would have used it very much as the current wave of spamming bothers me about as much as it bothers the forum team.

Are you on the blue and white skin?
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    Options
    Pyxis wrote: »
    Are you on the blue and white skin?

I've been on the green from day 2 after joining (once I figured out how to change)
  • poppellerant
    poppellerant Posts: 1,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I could almost make the move to the new style forum. But a massive bugbear for me is not being able to see which threads I have replied to. These were the icons that indicated to me I had posted in a thread:
    thread_dot_hot.gif or thread_dot.gif

With the new style forum, I only see either grey or green dots. According to the key at the bottom, I should see a push pin to indicate that "You have posted in this thread".

All the MSE forum team need to do is make the old style (green) forum less narrow - ie: not 50% of the display. 75% would be far more acceptable, but 100% would please me.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I use the old green skin as I prefer the old vBulletin forum layout compared to the modern floaty floaty stuff that everywhere has these days.

But the only problem is that the last day or so it's been squashed in the middle of the screen with huge white margins at either side. I thought people's screens where getting bigger not smaller...
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,180 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well, my interface changed to a brighter green one and the layout changed.

I've now flipped to the forum default, but it's not so nice with all of that wasted space and useless margins either side; between that and the spam messages there's very little real content on screen.

Now I can't find a settings/preferences button anymore - can anybody tell me where it's gone to?
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Until people here mentioned them, I'd never thought about the blank bits on the page. I'm on a wide screen, so I suppose about half of my page is blank.

Now I have thought about them, the blanks still don't bother me.
    DoaM wrote: »
    The main issue is excessive and unnecessary scrolling of the page .. the narrower the viewport then the longer the page length.
    Having installed the Stylish add-on,(also available for Firefox, not just Chrome) I've had the ability to switch instantly between the two layouts.

It's not a big deal either way, but after 10+ years of seeing the narrow version, I'm more comfortable with that. On a wide screen, I find it easier to keep the print in the centre of my vision.

I think we humans just like what we're used to.

I suggest those who don't like what they are seeing use the Stylish add on, which takes a couple of minutes to install. It might be more productive than moaning on here. :)
    2010 Posts: 5,368 Forumite
    Options
    Just tried this link to change back to green stretchy but it is being blocked and saying it`s unsafe.

Can someone try it to see if it`s just my security blocking it.
    I`m using chrome.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=74151687&postcount=8
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,180 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    re. "moaning" - I'm all for change for the better, but when I login and can only see 3 posts listed in a window in a sea of borders, gadgets, wasted space, I have to say that the fripperies have taken precedence over the content, to the point that this change is not for the better.

The value of the forum is in the content, not the window dressing, and the current layout prioritises the style over all else.
  • poppellerant
    poppellerant Posts: 1,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If anybody has uBlock installed for Firefox, block the column which is always on the right hand side of the forums. It is a waste of precious space and blocking it makes things a little more bearable.

Link to uBlock Origin for Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm?hl=en
    Link to uBlock Origin for Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/

MSE Forums before:
    iof4ie.jpg

MSE Forums after:
    2nvrskj.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business