Tandem. A new credit card.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
11 replies 4.1K views
welshmike_2welshmike_2 Forumite
92 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
https://www.tandem.co.uk/credit-card/
Is it better than Halifax Clarity for using an ATM abroad?

Replies

• PeacefulWatersPeacefulWaters Forumite
    8.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    A direct comparison between APRs will give you the answer.

But clear cash balances quickly and in full and there will only be pennies in it.
  • jonesMUFCforeverjonesMUFCforever Forumite
    28.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pros as I see it - cashback on purchases.
    Cons - fees for withdrawing cash in UK (but not abroad).
  • Could probably get me about £5 cashback on my typical card usage.
    Enough for a pint of beer and a packet of crisps. :beer:
  • PeacefulWatersPeacefulWaters Forumite
    8.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    welshmike wrote: »
    Could probably get me about £5 cashback on my typical card usage.
    Enough for a pint of beer and a packet of crisps. :beer:

Although the question only asks about overseas ATM.
  • I did indeed. :sad:
  • VortigernVortigern Forumite
    3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can't have an additional cardholder with Tandem at the moment.

So this tandem is not built for two?
  • Applied for a Tandem card two-and-a-half weeks ago. Haven't heard anything, not even a confirmation e-mail. Contacted them and been reassured twice that I would receive something in the post by last week but still haven't got anything. No idea if my application has been accepted or not. Waste of time, don't bother.
  • Ben8282Ben8282
    4.8K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Newshound!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Although at first sight this card looks good for the cashback and the overseas stuff, I don't think I will bother with it. There is no proper online banking and they still send paper statements, there are no 0% promotional periods of any sort and, according to their website, they never ever give credit limit increases.
  • ABRDFABRDF Forumite
    47 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Hi

My partner and I waited for 3 months on the wait list to get Tandem’s credit card offering of 0.5% cash back and no fee foreign transactions, because of Martin’s recommendation.

After 2 months of use we are reviewing our decision, does anyone else have feed back, Tandem don’t have a community site like Starling or Monzo or a “Trustpilot” site and I can’t see any feed back here, either good or bad!

Our findings:
    1- The app looks and feels old school, poorly designed, slow with little functionality..
    2- The app needs a new pin every two weeks and you have ring the customer service number in core hours of 8 till 6.
    3- The out of hours customer service is outsourced, and they have little understanding of the product and only deal with fraud or lost cards. They also appear to be reading from a script.
    4- The balances on the app are incorrect
    5- Refunds show but the balance is not updated
    6- Pre authorisation show in app but never drop off the app when not collected by the merchants
    7- Customer services are only Monday to Friday 8-6, they are friendly, but don’t really understand the issues because their system transactions and balances are different from the app, you have to send screen shots to verify what your saying
    8- Paper statements, no online offering, statement balance not shown in app
    9- Account aggregation does not work with First Direct due to password issues in the app
    10- Missing transaction and transactions disappear from the app (balance stays the same)
    11- Long call wait times
    12- No instant chat
    13- Launching savings account when this product does not have fully functional and robust customer app / interface
    14- No in app notification of transaction
    15- Security setup when joining could not be complete the account pin request - still haven’t been able to achieve this

When you do speak to the customer services team you do often get to speak with the same person which is a bonus, but they have to pass everything on. Very limited improvement in the app, it’s functionality and appearance in two months, some problems they say should be fixed in the next two months some they don’t have timescales, not all customers are have the same problems. I believe the developers should look to apps from Starling and Monzo to see great new world (fintech) banking apps, Tandems app looks, feels and offers the functionality of Lloyd’s Bank app 5 years ago.

Unlike Starling’s Anne Boden their CEO who answers tweets from customer with good and bad issues eve late at night, Ricky Knox the CEO of Tandem just BLOCKS YOU!!!

Your thoughts please, are we the only ones witnessing these issues? It would help us to decide to stay or go, 0.5% cash back is not enough to wade through the problems with Tandem, when we also have Clarity Cards and Monzo and Starling already.

Finally should Martins team be recommending Tandem in its current state. Has my mother would say Tandem is “all fur coat and no knickers”!!!128514;
  • Update to my post above: I called them for a third time this morning, the guy I spoke to told me that the two people I spoke to last week were wrong, there was nothing in the post, and that my application had not been processed. Avoid. Utterly embarrassing.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Covid test firms form self-regulating body

A bid to tackle poor service concerns

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ quotes & cashback

MSE Guides