PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Is buying a house a good idea?

Options

Comments

• Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Filo25 wrote: »
    To be fair to the HPC crew they did successfully predict the last 2 house price crashes, admittedly they also predicted another couple of hundred crashes that didn't happen as well...

With regards to the original question, I think my only advice would be to save as if you were buying, having the flexibility of that cash in the future will only help even if you subsequently decide buying a house might not be for you.

If there is one piece of advice I wish I could give my younger self it would be to embrace the joys of deferred gratification, save more spend less and you open up a lot more options in your future.

They did also predict that the bailouts would have far reaching political/social effects, guy on Bloomberg just now saying that this fallout is just getting started. When rates are forced up house prices will be under pressure, so the OP should discount to get a sale now IMO.
  • Filo25
    Filo25 Posts: 2,132 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They did also predict that the bailouts would have far reaching political/social effects, guy on Bloomberg just now saying that this fallout is just getting started. When rates are forced up house prices will be under pressure, so the OP should discount to get a sale now IMO.

Probably depends on how fast and how far you think rates are going up, as to how significant that impact is likely to be.....
  • Olon1974
    Options
    It is so much easier when you realize the shortest possible term of you saving enough in order to buy a house is about 20 years lol
    So I go travel and hope for a lottery.
    BTW, I'm not strong in math, neither in finance, doesn't it look like renting an apartment is actually cheaper than owning it?
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You're making too much out of it anyway Crashy. Most people fix their rates, and it's not going to jump to even 5% overnight. They'll fix for longer terms if it looks to be creeping up, banks will be more cautious as to what they lend in relation to salaries, and people do usually get payrises. In ten years' time I'll probably be earning another £10k-15k to what I am now despite not being a high earner (legal sec). It makes a massive difference to affordability.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Olon1974 wrote: »
    It is so much easier when you realize the shortest possible term of you saving enough in order to buy a house is about 20 years lol
    BTW, I'm not strong in math, neither in finance, doesn't it look like renting an apartment is actually cheaper than owning it?
    Are you talking buying cash? That's why most people buy with a mortgage (especially to start with)!
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    hazyjo wrote: »
    You're making too much out of it anyway Crashy. Most people fix their rates, and it's not going to jump to even 5% overnight. They'll fix for longer terms if it looks to be creeping up, banks will be more cautious as to what they lend in relation to salaries, and people do usually get payrises. In ten years' time I'll probably be earning another £10k-15k to what I am now despite not being a high earner (legal sec). It makes a massive difference to affordability.

Again begs the question of why emergency rates for so long if affordability is so easy?
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Olon1974 wrote: »

Well, my "rent" (mortgage interest) on a 3BR semi-detached for the past 10 years has been about £100 pcm. Obviously, when mortgages were at 15% interest, or whatever they were back in the 1980s (I did own a mortgage back then, but can't recall), the figures would have been different, but for anyone who either already "owned" (mortgaged) a house in the past 10 years, or like me, bought one just before the last "crash", it's been a no-brainer.

Just in the past 10 years, I'd probably have paid £84,000 in rent. Instead, when I complete on my house in about a month, I'll net over £90,000. I know which scenario I prefer.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • Filo25
    Filo25 Posts: 2,132 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 April 2018 at 3:00PM
    Options
    Again begs the question of why emergency rates for so long if affordability is so easy?

Emergency rates because the broader economy remains relatively weak, we have never fully recovered from the GFC, also unlike in the US we have seen very signifcant fiscal tightening over the course of this decade, which helps to explain why the path for UK rates may not necessarily be the same as for the US.

I know over on HPC housing is the reason for everything, and cutting rates has been tantamount to fraud, but while it obviously is one driver its certainly not the only one for monetary policy.

That said if we did start to see the massive fall in house prices in response to rate rises that the HPC crowd continually salivates over, why wouldn't the bank just cut rates again?
  • buggy_boy
    buggy_boy Posts: 657 Forumite
    Options
    Filo25 wrote: »
    Emergency rates because the broader economy remains relatively weak, we have never fully recovered from the GFC, also unlike in the US we have seen very signifcant fiscal tightening over the course of this decade, which helps to explain why the path for UK rates may not necessarily be the same as for the US.

I know over on HPC housing is the reason for everything, and cutting rates has been tantamount to fraud, but while it obviously is one driver its certainly not the only one for monetary policy.

That said if we did start to see the massive fall in house prices in response to rate rises that the HPC crowd continually salivates over, why wouldn't the bank just cut rates again?

No no, don't you know when rates fall its to fraudulently increase property prices, but when they rise there will be no stopping it because of [Insert crazy logic here]
  • Pupnik
    Pupnik Posts: 452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would say buy but buy sensibly, in an area that has not reached its cap (ie not London, not an expensive luxury new build), but only if you!!!8217;re intending on staying in that area. The thing to remember is house prices go up and down, if property prices crash they will stabilise and recover eventually (probably) so in the long term you are bound to get your money back. I!!!8217;d say make sure you can afford the mortgage repayments even if interest rates increase so give yourself some wiggle room, can you afford it on 5% interest, 7%? 10%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure