Options
13»

Comments

• worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    nirajn123 wrote: »
    Please could someone help with the SIM cards. I heard you can buy one while there - both me and wife have iPhones, can we just buy local SIM from a shop/walmart - what is the minimum I can get away with spending? This would simply be for calling each other (and not back home).

Most shops have WiFi so you could call for free via what's app. Remember to boycott sea world and the associated parks.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ou5DqfkZ8
  • nirajn123
    nirajn123 Posts: 198 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 25 March 2018 at 7:58PM
    Options
    Most shops have WiFi so you could call for free via what's app. Remember to boycott sea world and the associated parks.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ou5DqfkZ8
    Yes, I did thought of that but if it is only going to cost few $, I would have the convenience of a call. Wife have no interest in the parks and we have not a great deal in shopping - so we could make best use of time on certain days - having a phone would help with transport etc.

BWT, SeaWorld is not on the list- too little time.
  • John259
    John259 Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Dunno if any of the state parks in Florida would interest you? If so, here's the web site:

https://www.floridastateparks.org
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
  • stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    Options
    Please could someone help with the SIM cards. I heard you can buy one while there - both me and wife have iPhones, can we just buy local SIM from a shop/walmart - what is the minimum I can get away with spending? This would simply be for calling each other (and not back home).

Is the sim to call home/each other or to call places in the US? If the former the three feel at home sim works well. Having returned from the US several times I received an email from three stating how much I saved. Usually around £1000 in calls, text and data.
  • nirajn123
    nirajn123 Posts: 198 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    stevie11 wrote: »
    Is the sim to call home/each other or to call places in the US? If the former the three feel at home sim works well. Having returned from the US several times I received an email from three stating how much I saved. Usually around £1000 in calls, text and data.
    It is only to call each other - we don't have three SIMs so will have to buy and top up one. I would prefer to get one in the US.
  • stevenhp1987
    stevenhp1987 Posts: 907 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 26 March 2018 at 3:21AM
    Options
    It is only to call each other - we don't have three SIMs so will have to buy and top up one. I would prefer to get one in the US.

If you're buying a SIM locally, ensure it's AT&T or T-Mobile (a GSM network).

Sprint, Verizon etc. won't work because they use bands (CDMA) that UK phones don't support.

I use Three Mobile which has USA included and tell my phone to connect to AT&T when I get here (T-Mobile seems slower for me...).

note: It might be cheaper to simply pay for a one-month Three Advanced sim contract depending on your usage.
  • queengoth
    queengoth Posts: 135 Forumite
    Options
    You can get a sim only in USA but they are not cheap, be prepared to spend at least 30 mins sorting it out and about $90. Try to get the three over here instead, my iPhone connected automatically to AT&T but hubbys picked up another carrier, both worked well and no charges.
    Shady pines ma, shady pines
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport