Florida DIY Trip Checklist

Options
I am looking to book a last minute trip to Florida to fly in 2 weeks time (2 + 1 11 yr old). This will be our first trip to Florida (I have been to elsewhere in the US for work in the past so have some idea), Not too keen on the parks but might spend couple of days - but it is mainly meant to be a fly-drive to cover Keys and the gulf coast.

I am told you could get plenty of hotels so only looking to do first couple of days and perhaps last day of the tour from here and then book rest on the day depending upon where we are. So questions -

1. Is this doable? Any particular things that I need to be aware of?
2. Checklist, besides flight, hotels (as I said before), Car - it would be good to have a checklist to cover all bases
3. Is hotel booking on the day a problem in certain areas e.g.. Keys and during school
holidays?

Appreciate some help.

Comments

• jfdi
    jfdi Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Easter is one of the busiest times in Florida so I could envisage you having hotel problems at the very least. It!!!8217;s worth prepaying the car hire excesses here via a policy, works out much cheaper.
    :mad: :j:D:beer::eek::A:p:rotfl::cool::):(:T
  • stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    Options
    I would be planning out your trip and get booking your hotels. Peak season means demand and prices will be higher.

Where on the gulf coast and keys do you want to stop? You may find a motel at reasonable price but if you want decent accommodation be prepared to pay a premium especially in the Keys.

The car hire excess pre payment is a good suggestion.

Going some where like Florida at a peak time without firm plans is not something I would look forward to.

You don't say if you have booked your flights yet. Booking this late again prices will be at a premium.

Good luck
  • nirajn123
    nirajn123 Posts: 198 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am flexible with the dates, so about 10 days holiday tickets are available for about £400pp which isn't too bad.
  • John259
    John259 Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    In the Keys, somewhere like Marathon might be a better choice to stay rather than Key West.

If your main interest is the Keys and the Everglades, maybe fly in to Miami rather than Orlando?

Or if you want mountains, maybe fly in to Atlanta and visit the Great Smoky Mountains?

Has everyone got their ESTA's?
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
  • nirajn123
    Options
    Just been doing ESTA - all done.

After much though, I am thinking of taking it easy - just go for a package which appears a great value as a last minute booking (better than half price). I may have to go to Key some other time - perhaps plug it in with a cruise.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Which day does your child have to be back at school?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    Options
    nirajn123 wrote: »
    Just been doing ESTA - all done.

After much though, I am thinking of taking it easy - just go for a package which appears a great value as a last minute booking (better than half price). I may have to go to Key some other time - perhaps plug it in with a cruise.

I think you have made the right choice. Travelling from central Fl to the Gulf Coast then through the Everglades to the keys is Ok for two adults but wouldn't be much fun for the child IMO.

If you base around Orlando you could at least have days out say to each coast, Busch Gardens or Space Kennedy for example.

Have a good holiday.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why the US and not Europe or the UK ?
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,142 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    As has been said, lots in central Florida. Both coasts are easily accessible. It's nice to say you've been to The Keys but it's not somewhere I'd get too excited about. Personally I love the gulf coast, pop into Fantasy of Flight museum on the way there or back from Orlando.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • nirajn123
    Options
    richardw wrote: »
    Which day does your child have to be back at school?
    23rd April, but I would prefer to be back by middle of w/c 16th if I can.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure